small pop up tent trailer

98dango

Expedition Leader
What tent trailer models are 8' and under box size. My wife and I have desided this is what we want but we want.a small one. We already have 2 larger trailers. We want to keep it small so we can tow it with all our rigs.

98dango

Expedition Leader
We areooking at the more traditional style. The more elaborate one are cool but we want some thing faster to set up. I had one back in the day it took about 5 minuets. We also both love to explore areas less travels so it will have to sit on at least 31" tiers with no less than 24" of ground clearance. So the anix room style I don't think will wotk.

That was also one of our problems with a RTT is my truck sits on 39" rubber most of the time. That puts the tent a long way up and hard to use a changeing room when its 18" off the ground.

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
We areooking at the more traditional style. The more elaborate one are cool but we want some thing faster to set up. I had one back in the day it took about 5 minuets. We also both love to explore areas less travels so it will have to sit on at least 31" tiers with no less than 24" of ground clearance. So the anix room style I don't think will wotk.

That was also one of out problems with a RTT is my truck sits on 39" rubber most of the time. That puts the tent a long way up and hard to use a changeing room when its 18" off the ground.

Makes sense. I have an RTT on my small offroad trailer, but it doesn't sound like what you are looking for. The issue with most of the mainstream "offroad" trailers out there is that even FSR's are too rough for them. They are all built with "C" Channel frames and stapled together interiors. We looked at some before we gave up on them and bought our Coachman 108ST. It is just your basic tent trailer (well a loaded one), but certainly not offroad worthy. We did a trip with about 3 hours of FSR 2 ways, and it was NOT very happy with the trip. No damage, but dirt and dust everywhere and a lot of crud got past the storage trunk seal (not the inner seal just the outer). It was a mess...

I know what you are looking for, and if I remember the brand I will post the link. I think it has 30" tires and sleeps 2 but is a full tent trailer, stove water and so on.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have actual thought of getting a short modle and mounting it to the flat bed on my truck.

Howard70

Adventurer
Fleetwood Neon

A Fleetwood Neon might fill your needs. They are small and robust (as tent trailers go). Ours has 6'4"+ standing head room throughout the 7' x 5' cabin, a 6'9" x 54" comfortable bed, room for 4 adults and a dog to sit around when it is cold, large vinyl windows, a real door, a propane furnace, interior lighting, 1000 watt inverter, solar and a 100 ah AGM battery while weighing about 1,000 pounds.

The stock wheels are small (10") so most folks go to 14 or 15" with a spring over conversion on the axle to get better ground clearance. If you do the spring over, don't flip the axle as that inverts the camber and will wear tires quickly. It's better to have spring perches welded to the top of the axle and then move the springs up.

Unfortunately, Fleetwood Neons were last built in 2006 or 2007, so you'll have to find a used one.

i-D5v6NJc-XL.jpg

i-LRmwJkR-XL.jpg

Full disclosure - ours might be for sale soon as we're contemplating a new 4x4 expedition truck!

Howard L. Snell

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
The Neon was the other one I was thinking of. I believe that FLeetwood stopped selling trailers, it would appear that all the sell now is large Class A Motorhomes?

Like the Neon a lot.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Looking on line the neon is just about perfect. I found a few on line none in my area yet.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
That Neon would be the perfect trailer if it opened to the rear and had a side door vs an end door. If you move campsites a lot it could become a huge annoyance to have to uncouple/recouple the trailer every time you set it up.

daveh

Adventurer
We use a tent trailer rebranded by Mopar. If you get lucky they can be found for pretty cheap. It sits stock on 32 tires and factory Jeep Moab wheels.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382298646.710746.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382298646.710746.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 27
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382298671.380254.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382298671.380254.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 26

jet noise

Observer
I'm loving the Coleman Colorado. Light weight, easily modified, and quick to set up. It's basically just a tent on a box. Here's mine, after some mods: image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles