The Old Wood Hauler: 1983 Toyota 4WD Build/Restoration

Loooove this truck. I have an old ad for the 81 hanging on my wall. The color on the truck and the wheels are perfect. I know you want to redo the interior, but I just love that bench seat.

Derek24

Explorer
Some 235 85 R 16 MTs on there would look killer, would need new wheels though.

Those would look good! But yeah don't want to get rid of these wheels, love the solid steel wheels!

you might look for the rare 33x9.50x15 BFG AT's for this. I wanted them for my truck, but ended up 10.50's. the skinnier 9.50 would look really good on this body style.

I've seen those tires before and I agree they look good. I would like to keep to the same size tire, maybe just a little bigger. This thing already has no power!

Loooove this truck. I have an old ad for the 81 hanging on my wall. The color on the truck and the wheels are perfect. I know you want to redo the interior, but I just love that bench seat.

Thanks! Yeah I love the bench seat as well. Only reason I would like buckets is for more room. Being 6'4" I'm a little cramped especially when the 5'3" GF wants to drive lol!

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Those would look good! But yeah don't want to get rid of these wheels, love the solid steel wheels!

I've seen those tires before and I agree they look good. I would like to keep to the same size tire, maybe just a little bigger. This thing already has no power!

Thanks! Yeah I love the bench seat as well. Only reason I would like buckets is for more room. Being 6'4" I'm a little cramped especially when the 5'3" GF wants to drive lol!

What is the stock size? Would 30 x 9.5 R 15 be a size upgrade?

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
The stock tire size is H78-15 or 225/75R15. 30x9.50s are a nice size for them (that's what I run) but those are probably 235/75R15s on there right now. The size difference would be barely perceptible and probably not worth the switch. The tires that are on there now look great and appear to have plenty of life--I'd keep them on 'till they need replacing if it were me. I've run 235/75R15 mudders like those before and enjoyed them--they work well in just about everything.

I'm glad to hear you're keeping the wheels. They really complete the look. I pound the table and cry when I see period-correct, original wheels being swapped out.

Last edited:

Derek24

Explorer
They are 235/75/15 cheap pepboys mudders. They are like brand new. I will keep them for a while. Going to Lowes right now to pick up some restoration supplies! It's my day off and I got plans! More to come!

Derek24

Explorer
Do I see tabs for a camper mount on the bedsides by the cab?

Good eye! My uncle had a cabover camper on it years ago. Must have been before I was born! He still has the cab over out on the property over looking a vista of Napa Valley, cool little hang out!

Derek24

Explorer
Got the bumper, brush guard, and headlight housings all painted today. Two coats of rustoleum matt black and two coats of plastic dip on the bumper and brush guard. Turned out great, seems pretty durable as well. The headlight housings have about three coats of plastic dip and two coats of rustoleum silver for the inner part. I ran out of daylight and couldnt get to the grill, also ran out of paint. Will be back at it tomorrow after a quick trip to Napa. Hopefully I can get the wheels painted tomorrow too!

DSCN1860_zps26ffadd4.jpg

Bumper and brush guard

DSCN1867_zps0b7de5aa.jpg

Everything off

DSCN1868_zps44654c93.jpg

While paint was drying I touched up the front a bit...

DSCN1872_zps31935f2b.jpg

Headlight housings taped and painted.

DSCN1875_zps7512994d.jpg

All painted up. New black and silver paint.

DSCN1873_zps6ff1533c.jpg

Bumper painted and installed. Have to wait for the grill to put the brush guard on; tomorrow!

DSCN1862_zps9c3900c1.jpg

Waiting for paint to dry pictures

DSCN1857_zpsd5618183.jpg

Waiting for paint to dry pictures...

DSCN1859_zpsf3e9090b.jpg

Waiting for paint to dry pics, 235/75/15!

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
The Mudstar tires are actually not a low-end tire. Big O gets a premium for them, similar in price to BFG. I have a set of 33x12.5s on my Ramcharger now, and before on my Raider. I've traveled about 25K miles on them, varied highway/dirt road/grading jobs and like them well.

Arktikos

Explorer
That truck is a beauty. Nice work on the front. Mud tires don't seem ideal for your intentions. Bet you could get a smoother ride and better mileage with an all terrain. What is the plan for the bed? We see the one rust spot there.

96Delica

Adventurer
Very nice! Here's a thread you might be interested in, not sure if you have to sign up to the forum or not though. It's a similar build to what you're doing, except it's a shop. It's neat seeing all the little attention to detail that they've done to bring an old truck back to almost new condition on a very limited budget. There's some great ideas there for anyone!
http://www.sontt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3805

nated

My dad's old 82 was the same config with the longbox. Was a great little truck, and is still on the road today (albeit without the original box). Looking great, keep it up!

PaintRock

Adventurer
If my memory is correct, you can fit 31x10.50s on those '83s without a lift. You need at least a 7" wide wheel, though. My bet is the stockers are 6", is that correct?

I think the LED lightbar looks ok. It depends what you finally end up with for your front armor. The square headlights and squarish front bumper kind of match it.

I think some color matched bed coating would look great, too.

Just my thoughts... That is a nice old rig to work on for sure.

darien

Observer
I can't get myself to chop up a classic like this, that's why god made Jeeps ;)! I figured most of the rock crawler trailer rigs out there are broke half the time. Building it into a more capable long lasting reliable rig sounds more pleasing to me.

You're doin' the Lord's work there, son.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier