The Old Wood Hauler: 1983 Toyota 4WD Build/Restoration

Derek24

Explorer
No real updates. Been going back an forth on what to do with this truck! Buy a FWC for it, campershell and make a carpet kit, or buy this Chinnok at the local pick-n-pull!! Also I believe I figured out the lift I will get. OME for the front and chevy 63" leaf springs for the rear. I've read that the 63's ride real nice and have tons of flex for about $50 for the springs. Should give me about 3" of lift int he rear and 2" in the front. With 31x10.5x15 KM2's, Goodyear Kevlars, or Firestone Destination MT's.

But, how cool would this Chinnook body be!!!????

Chinnok.jpg

mortonm

Expedition Leader
No real updates. Been going back an forth on what to do with this truck! Buy a FWC for it, campershell and make a carpet kit, or buy this Chinnok at the local pick-n-pull!! Also I believe I figured out the lift I will get. OME for the front and chevy 63" leaf springs for the rear. I've read that the 63's ride real nice and have tons of flex for about $50 for the springs. Should give me about 3" of lift int he rear and 2" in the front. With 31x10.5x15 KM2's, Goodyear Kevlars, or Firestone Destination MT's.

But, how cool would this Chinnook body be!!!????

View attachment 212054

Would definitely be cool, she wouldnt be the old wood hauler anymore, a FWC would give you the interior space with less height and still retain the bed, a lot more $$$ though

Derek24

Explorer
Would definitely be cool, she wouldnt be the old wood hauler anymore, a FWC would give you the interior space with less height and still retain the bed, a lot more $$$ though

Ah yes I did not think about hauling wood, that would be no more turned into a chinook! I'll have to buy another Tundra! Be a lot of work, FWC would be easy but expensive. I look everyday on CL for one.

You said you were going to keep it stock and not lift it... I lol'ed at that then too. :)

LOL! You know when ever someone says that it's just a matter of time! Also I figure this truck has stock, 31 year old shock and springs, so why not replace them and add a little lift to it! ;)

mortonm

Expedition Leader
too bad you couldnt find something a little skinnier than 10.5, would look too wide on that in my opinion, but impossible to do without going up to 16s

deadbeat son

Explorer
Also I believe I figured out the lift I will get. OME for the front and chevy 63" leaf springs for the rear.

Are you not worried about drastically different ride characteristics for the front & rear axles? It seems like a matched setup would have definite advantages. I understand this isn't a high performance sports car, but I would be worried about the effects on drivability due to the imbalance in daily driving situations.

Wainiha

Explorer
If you are still going with the chevy 63"s then check out Ruffstuff if you haven't. I have their hanger and shackle kit. it is solid.

Clutch

<---Pass
No real updates. Been going back an forth on what to do with this truck!

It is the 7' bed version, right?

If it were me I would try to find a Wildernest of that era...will look period with it too.

I almost bought that vintage truck with a Wildernest...kicking myself for not jumping sooner.

IMG_3609.jpg

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=8&g=1

These in 34x9.5 would be perfect with a 3" lift and swamper a would look amazing on our trucks!

Can I also suggest rear OME springs from an 89-95 toyota pickup instead of Chevy 63s? Look it up. They're slightly longer than stock, but because they're technically a lift spring the eye-to-eye measurement is perfect for a great shackle angle on the rear of our trucks. I was easily steered away from the OME springs designed for the rear of our trucks because of the terrible shackle angle associated with them. I didn't want that to cause a rougher ride because the good Lord knows we need all the help we can get lol. I do know they're expensive at $169 a piece but sky's 63 kit and the springs will set you up back much more than you would have in these.

Derek24

Explorer
Are you not worried about drastically different ride characteristics for the front & rear axles? It seems like a matched setup would have definite advantages. I understand this isn't a high performance sports car, but I would be worried about the effects on drivability due to the imbalance in daily driving situations.

I understand what your saying. Never really thought of that. The OME springs I will be getting are the soft springs, and with the 63s being some what soft I think it will not effect driving everyday. But like you said it's not a race truck, as long as it can haul some wood back to the house it's all good!

If you are still going with the chevy 63"s then check out Ruffstuff if you haven't. I have their hanger and shackle kit. it is solid.

Check that! Looked at that and is what I will be doing!

It is the 7' bed version, right?

If it were me I would try to find a Wildernest of that era...will look period with it too.

I almost bought that vintage truck with a Wildernest...kicking myself for not jumping sooner.

View attachment 212076

Yeah 7' bed here! Man that is sweet looking! If I could find that I would definitely do that! Now another thing to hold me up on CL.

http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=8&g=1

These in 34x9.5 would be perfect with a 3" lift and swamper a would look amazing on our trucks!

Can I also suggest rear OME springs from an 89-95 toyota pickup instead of Chevy 63s? Look it up. They're slightly longer than stock, but because they're technically a lift spring the eye-to-eye measurement is perfect for a great shackle angle on the rear of our trucks. I was easily steered away from the OME springs designed for the rear of our trucks because of the terrible shackle angle associated with them. I didn't want that to cause a rougher ride because the good Lord knows we need all the help we can get lol. I do know they're expensive at $169 a piece but sky's 63 kit and the springs will set you up back much more than you would have in these.

34s are just a little too big for this truck. It's slow enough already lol! 31s I might not have to re gear right away, think I can deal with it for a bit. Maybe change out the transfer case gears instead, were it really matters. I can get the 63s for about $50 for the pair or cheaper and with the fit kit it should be cheaper in the end with better results. We will see.

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
34s are just a little too big for this truck. It's slow enough already lol! 31s I might not have to re gear right away, think I can deal with it for a bit. Maybe change out the transfer case gears instead, were it really matters. I can get the 63s for about $50 for the pair or cheaper and with the fit kit it should be cheaper in the end with better results. We will see.

I was kidding about the swampers. Very unpractical tire if it's going to be driven on road somewhat regularly, even though they look awesome on our trucks. I also don't like the look of tiny tires on trucks, especially our models. 31s will look quite small with a 3" lift. They look great with larger tires. I'm going to be running 33x10.5s but am also regearing at the time of my lift install so there won't be any noticeable power loss. I'm not trying to convince you into a larger tire just stating my opinion.

I had debated the Chevy 63s a long time and reading the reviews on other forums like Marlin Crawler (which is full of great info) most all of them who have ran them for a long time wish they would have spent the money and went with an All Pro or Trail Gear spring initially. I don't want as much lift associated with those two brands so I kept searching for solutions to the shackle angle problem with OME and stumbled upon a thread where several guys were running the rear 89-95 leafs with incredible results. Again it's all up to you; I just have a very buy once, cry once attitude. At the same time, there are pros and cons to every set up.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah 7' bed here! Man that is sweet looking! If I could find that I would definitely do that! Now another thing to hold me up on CL.

Nice, those 7' Wildernest have the rear hatch leaning inwards...looks sharp when close.

It was the color of that truck that kept me from calling on it...should of over looked that, because it was the perfect setup.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I don't think mismatched front and rear suspensions on a truck is an issue at all. Even stock, most trucks have quite a different feel between the front and rear suspensions (rear is usually stiffer). As long as the suspension at each end works well and the body roll is manageable, I don't think you have to worry about any "matching". Mine is definitely mismatched.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94