The Old Wood Hauler: 1983 Toyota 4WD Build/Restoration

Derek24

Explorer
I recently got a hold of my Uncle's 1983 Toyota 4wd, finally...He has owned it since 83', and I think when I was born 6 years later I fell in love with it. So this has been a life long build in progress. I actually Spider-webbed the front windshield with my head about 15 years ago and resulted in 18 stitches and a couple hundred dollars out of my lawn mowing money to replace it. (my brother and I being dumb kids...). All its life this truck has done nothing but work on my uncles 3000 acre ranch in Napa. Hauling wood was and is its strong suit. Its a little rough around the edges, but I plan on bring it back to its hay day. I love history behind these trucks; how they showed the American people the real power and reliability a little Japanese truck has. It was a game changer back in the day and molded the evolution of Toyota 4wd trucks, just like the FJ40 did.

DSCN1192_zps7cfe65ef.jpg

My plans are to restore this truck into a daily driver (which I'm doing already) and a more capable offroader. KISS mentality will be used for this build. No cutting up the body to fit 40 inch tires and smash it on the Rubicon. Instead a nice OME 2inch lift with either 31x10.5 or a taller skinnier mud tire, still unsure which.

The list:
-OME 2inch lift (Stock suspension still on it)
-A little bigger Mud tires
-ARB bumper up front (if I can find one)
-Rip out the interior and re-do
-Bucket Seats
-Campershell
-replace anything that needs to be replaced
-Drive it!!!

DSCN1842_zpsc7d6d18a.jpg

So far I have buffed all the paint. It actually shines now. I don't think its ever been waxed. The paint is not bad at all.

DSCN1846_zpse3625986.jpg

I removed the mirrors and side vent and Plastic dip them black again.

DSCN1841_zps7e985433.jpg

I installed my LED light bar

DSCN1851_zps85b2a689.jpg

Next is the interior. All new paint, carpet, bolts, ect...

So far its a great truck. Runs very smooth. I'm glad I bought it and kept it in the family! Also I couldn't pass it up for $400!!! More to come...

J

JWP58

Very awesome. Reminds me of something you'd see cruising around in the bush in Australia.

Retarius

Observer
No 40s and no smashing on the rubicon?! Waisting a good truck if you ask me! Good luck on finding an arb....may have better luck with trail gear. Some minimul tubing and a winch mount would look pretty good and keep its utility.

As I was, it looks like LowRange has a line on ARB bumpers
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/inde...t-winch-bumper-bull-bars-3414090-3414070.html

I like something like this. No stinger, some tube, and a winch mount. you could mount the LED right above the winch fairlead.....
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/inde...s/rock-defense-low-profile-front-bumpers.html

Last edited:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
That's excellent! I couldn't stop looking at it when you posted it in the "show us your..." thread. I'm glad it has its own thread.

Are you sure you even want to do as much as you plan? It looks incredible on the 15x6 steelies and mini-mudders. The early trucks drive so nicely on the stock-size tires (H78-15, 225/75R15 or 235/75R15). The interior looks great in the pics...why not just do a little cleaning but keep the interior intact? I wish I had kept the interior completely factory on the '85...it's tough to go back later. Those door panels look almost identical to my '85, except mine has brown shag carpet on the lower strip where your lighter color is. :victory:

Hmm, I'm not sold on the LED bar in front...looks out of place to me. If you really need more light, I could see a pair of round or rectangular, metal-bucket KC-style lights with glass lenses there! I'm all for the plasti-dip on the stock pieces--that'll freshen it up nicely. Are you sure you even want to change the suspension? Those old leaf springs are built to last (unlike modern suspensions), and the factory stance is great. It's downright drool-worthy. I put some OME 50mm spring packs on the front of the '85. While I do like the ride improvement, it lifted the truck more than I intended. As long as you have a little room under the bump stops, I'd keep those springs on. That's just me.

It looks like a complete gem just as it is! Enjoy! The blue plates are perfect--can you keep those?! Also, the tow cable wrapped around the front bar in the first pic is awesome...is that still around?

(Sorry, I'm trying to make up for not being able to get my hands on it)

Last edited:

ober27

Adventurer
I love it. The addition of a camper shell would make it perfect.
It's great to have a classic that has been in your family for so long.
Looking forward to seeing how you make it your own.

darien

Observer
:drool:

Love this - subscribed! An 83 is on my "bucket list" - I drooled over one when I graduated high school in 83 and the love never left me. This is a beautiful truck and I salute you for not butchering it. I would sell the LED light bar though - maybe something a little more of the "Three's Company" period? (KC Daylighters?)

Retarius

Observer
Im actually gonna have to agree with the suggesgion to ditch the led bar. Keeping a semi stock feel, the led bar looks out place

soonenough

Explorer
Subscribed, this is on my bucket list as well. It would be awesome to get it restored back to original condition.

Speaking of which, did you see this '83 that was for sale on eBay a bunch times over the last ~4 months? It's not on there now, so maybe it finally sold. I drooled over these pictures numerous times. A little inspiration / motivation, and maybe some good reference pictures too:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983...2?ViewItem=&item=300940846232&forcev4exp=true

Derek24

Explorer
Thanks for all the replies! Ill try and sum up all the suggestions and question that were asked in the past posts. I can't get myself to chop up a classic like this, that's why god made Jeeps ;)! I figured most of the rock crawler trailer rigs out there are broke half the time. Building it into a more capable long lasting reliable rig sounds more pleasing to me.

Ill keep the blue licens plates for sure. No reason to get rid of those classics! Also the cable that was on the front brush guard I still have. It's in my garage, took it off when I washed it. For the interior I really want to re-do it. I've never seen it cleaned before and has a lot of oak and madrone wood chips in it! I still have a lot of sound dreading from when I did my Tundra years back,so I plan I laying some of that down and then thin carpet over that. My first truck was a 1978 chevy step side 4x4 and I ripped the whole interior out, painted it, and laid new carpet down and turned out great!

Today is my Friday so tomorrow ill be at this thing all day. Plans are to paint the wheels, front bumper, grill, and brush guard. Might go over again with a lighter polish and then wax to see if I can get more shin out of it. This morning I sprayed the underside with degreaser and took it to a pressure wash station near by and sprayed everything down. A lot of mud came off which is good. Most getting there. One step at a time!

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
you might look for the rare 33x9.50x15 BFG AT's for this. I wanted them for my truck, but ended up 10.50's. the skinnier 9.50 would look really good on this body style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94