Trailer to Tuweep or Point Sublime

Anonymark

Observer
Odd question I guess. But has anyone towed a trailer to either place? Something along the lines of a 12' ALiner or Scamp? After being soaked in the recent Colorado rains, my dear wife is wanting to go to a camper...

Her absolute favorite place to camp is now Point Sublime at the Grand Canyon....Just wondering if it is doable. Tow vehicle is a 2012 Jeep 4 door Wrangler that had no issues with either place alone.

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Doable if you take it slow

I don't see a problem. My buddy pulled this to Tuweep last spring. No problems if you take it slow.

IMG_3644.jpg

IMG_3653.jpg

Anonymark

Observer
Cool. That looks a lot bigger than what I'd do. Those pictures are absolutely awesome. Tuweep was a red muddy mess when we were there..

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Cool. That looks a lot bigger than what I'd do....

Yea, he was pretty gutsy. We did have a Plan B if we ran into an obstacle that we couldn't get through. The photos were taken last May, about a mile past the Ranger station. This rocky section was about as bad as it got.

Have fun!!

alia176

Explorer
Odd question I guess. But has anyone towed a trailer to either place? Something along the lines of a 12' ALiner or Scamp? After being soaked in the recent Colorado rains, my dear wife is wanting to go to a camper...

Her absolute favorite place to camp is now Point Sublime at the Grand Canyon....Just wondering if it is doable. Tow vehicle is a 2012 Jeep 4 door Wrangler that had no issues with either place alone.

My suggestion is to find an used, inexpensive traditional popup on Craigslist and then find out how well this works out. Winter is coming so you may find some great deals! This way, you can beat the living crap out of it and not feel so bad. :) I'd do a spring over axle conversion which should gain you couple of inches of clearance. During this trial process, you two can figure out what works for your needs and then you can decide on a new trailer with the proper amenities. You may go through couple of used trailers to hone in on your desired criteria.

Modern day popups don't hold up to the repeated abuse from washboard and high speed off road driving.

My buddy just bought the A liner with A/C to the tune of $14,000+. I think it's a tad too wide for the trail and tall enough so that you can't see our of the rear view mirror easily. If you want to haul a canoe with the A liner, my buddy was having a hard time figuring out how to do this on the roof. A traditional popup trailer allows the use of Thule or Yakima bars, making it easy to haul bikes and canoes. This A liner comes with the independent torsional arm suspension and does have a lift of some sort. These are not as easy to lift as a traditional leaf sprung trailer. Additionally, the A frame don't come with a built in awning since it's not easy to install one. A traditional popup comes with the awning or at least provides the channel that allows you to install one rather easily.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited:

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I have seen many Aliner's and Chalets with kayaks and bicycles on them. No problem at all.

The advantage of the Aliner, least appealing and the Chalet are the hard walls, stay much cleaner, warmer and drier than any other pop up design. Really not a problem to lift the torsion axle. New brackets and what ever the lift you want and it is done. You can also order a torsion with a 6 inch drop, meaning lift. Unfortunately the Chalet does not come with the torsion axle. I have heard, never seen, that the Aliner has a tongue problem. I do not understand why as two brothers built these trailers and split up due to differences. I would think the main frame would remain close, but not certain. Both have a box outer frame, which is better than most.

Neither, nor the one pictured will take a lot of abuse, and definitely not a serious trail. Both are a little wide, but not that much, I think 82 inches, but possibly 80 on the smallest ones. Both could be made quite trail worthy though. Some are shown in other threads in this forum. Truly a fantastic design, and much larger than you think when looking at them. I have had two Chalets and loved them. One of the best production trailers I have ever owned. But both were made at the original factory in San Jacinto, California. The ownership has been sold and now they seem to be more on the mass produced scheme than they were. Try to find an older one. They are normally not cheap compared to the other pop ups, even used.

Anonymark

Observer
I've been cruising Craigslist and I'll probably get a smaller Coleman pop-up and do the axle flip. There's some decent deals out there and I have an empty project garage.....

Chris Boyd

Explorer
There's a couple threads about point sublime on expo, and at least one mentioned seeing a Kimberley Kamper there. I was just researching this topic too and stumbled on your thread.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
I've towed a Kimberley Kamper to Point Sublime. Brad (Tucson T4R) has pulled his Kimberley Karavan to both Point Sublime and to Torroweap.

I was planning to take my Kimberley Karavan to Point Sublime in September, but both back country sites out there were taken. We went to Crazy Jug Point and marble View Overlook instead.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
If the weather is good, I think the road into Point Sublime is much easier than the road into Toroweap. Not that the road into Toroweap is difficult, it just longer and more washboard. If your trailer is not set up to handle the vibrations and you don't air down to help absorb them, your trailer may begin to "unmanufacture" itself. :sombrero:

I have had my trailer at both locations a couple of times.

Point Sublime

North%20Rim%202013-28-XL.jpg

Point%20Sublime%202012-23-XL.jpg

Toroweap

Chris%20Lewis%20Toroweap%202012-9-XL.jpg

Chris%20Lewis%20Toroweap%202012-6-XL.jpg

Toroweap%202012-1-XL.jpg

Toroweap%202011-11-XL.jpg

Both of these destinations have awesome views of the canyon.

For US Sourced trailers something like the Adrenalin or AT trailers would eat these roads up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz