Design your perfect low budget offroad trailer.

crazy

Adventurer
I want to build or probably have built an off-road trailer. I see many awesome trailer builds here. I'm curious if some were to build one again, are there things you would do different or leave out completely? I am hoping for a low budget build so no 60" flat screen TVs or anything extravagant. It would be nice to have a useful trailer that could be used a few times a year and not have to spend $10K-20K. The idea of a roof top tent doesn't appeal to me. I guess I'm afraid of taking a tumble after a night of drinking, LOL. Did you install something that you thought was a waste of $$$ after a couple of trips? Did you wish you build it bigger or smaller? Do you think bolting some stuff on the trailer would have been better than welding or the other way around? Enough water? Too much water? Stronger, lighter? Any thoughts, ideas, criticisms or input you would like to contribute is welcomed and appreciated.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
I would have still started with an M416 frame still, as I like the size, parking brake axle, and durability. I believe I would unbolt the tub and store it and make a new square tub. I would lose the cool look, but it would gain more functionality. I need to extend my tongue, while the short tongue is nice on the trail, moving the trailer is a pain with the batteries right there. It is also easy to unbalance the trailer. A wheeled front foot is also a must have to me now.

I am sure I will think of other things I want to change.

crazy

Adventurer
Saved for trailer specs.

Starting the list.

1. Removable tongue extension.
2. On-board water. I like Reliance 7 gallon like this. http://www.rei.com/product/618168/reliance-aqua-tainer-7-gal?preferredSku=6181680015&cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-product-_-6181680015&mr:referralID=c68f6221-3684-11e3-a8bc-001b2166c62d
3. Water heater. Solar maybe?
4. 4'x6' box seems like the right size.
5. Hidden lock box for guns and valuables when hunting.
6. Bolt on body.
7. Swing out tailgate with fold down table.
8. Built in bottle opener with easy access!!!
9. Parking brake.
10. On board battery with inverter.
11. Solar panel.
12. Articulating hitch receiver.
13. Easy access to grub without emptying trailer.
14. Reverse/backup lights.
15. Rear receiver hitch.
16. Outriggers/front and rear stabilizer legs
17. Recessed or armored LED lighting.
18. Flat fenders and steps for extra usable space.

Last edited:

crazy

Adventurer
I would have still started with an M416 frame still, as I like the size, parking brake axle, and durability. I believe I would unbolt the tub and store it and make a new square tub. I would lose the cool look, but it would gain more functionality. I need to extend my tongue, while the short tongue is nice on the trail, moving the trailer is a pain with the batteries right there. It is also easy to unbalance the trailer. A wheeled front foot is also a must have to me now.

I am sure I will think of other things I want to change.

Thanks. The short tongue is something I was wondering about. I have a short equipment trailer that is longer than most here and it is definitely a chore to back up compared to my longer trailers. I've wondered about an extension that could be used on-road and be removed for off-road. I don't think I want to start with a military trailer. I owned one a long time ago that was a 1 1/2 ton (I think). It was heavy and overbuilt for what I needed.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Light weight, good clearance, low center of gravity, on board water, on demand Hot Water, useful electrical bits (lights etc) and simple yet elegant designed bits.

I like wood and epoxy as much as steel, maybe more. Light weight is the key to me. My trailer is 1200# loaded... and it is not really all that big, it just packs a lot! It started as full steel and 700#, so it was a bit of a pig before I went to town on it. Bullet-proof however, so it is give and take I guess?

Greg

crazy

Adventurer
Light weight, good clearance, low center of gravity, on board water, on demand Hot Water, useful electrical bits (lights etc) and simple yet elegant designed bits.

I like wood and epoxy as much as steel, maybe more. Light weight is the key to me. My trailer is 1200# loaded... and it is not really all that big, it just packs a lot! It started as full steel and 700#, so it was a bit of a pig before I went to town on it. Bullet-proof however, so it is give and take I guess?

Greg

What are the dimensions of your trailer?

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
What design concept you come up with will affect price considerably. Since you don't want an RTT, do you want a "storage" trailer and pull a ground tent out the back to sleep on? Do you want a teardrop style? How much off-road capability do you want?
My last trailer had a 4' X 4' X 2' enclosed cargo compartment, kitchenette on the side and a 18" X 4' basket on the front for the cooler, etc. It was off-road capable and had a kitchenette in a sidebox. Weight was about 500lbs empty and 1200lbs loaded to the gills. It cost me about $3000 to build.
Trailer.jpg
My current teardrop style I'm building has all the bells and whistles I want on it, is still off-road capable and has a heavier "double-decker' frame. I estimate it to cost just over $10,000 when I'm done, but it will hopefully be comparable to a $25,000 production trailer. (see signature for build thread)

crazy

Adventurer
Matt, the one in the picture is what I had in mind. I read about your other build before and it is very cool but way too much for me. Do you have a thread for that build?

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Unfortunately, I don't have a build thread for the "old" trailer. Thank you very much for the compliment on my new build!

alia176

Explorer
I want to build or probably have built an off-road trailer. I see many awesome trailer builds here. I'm curious if some were to build one again, are there things you would do different or leave out completely? I am hoping for a low budget build so no 60" flat screen TVs or anything extravagant. It would be nice to have a useful trailer that could be used a few times a year and not have to spend $10K-20K. The idea of a roof top tent doesn't appeal to me. I guess I'm afraid of taking a tumble after a night of drinking, LOL. Did you install something that you thought was a waste of $$$ after a couple of trips? Did you wish you build it bigger or smaller? Do you think bolting some stuff on the trailer would have been better than welding or the other way around? Enough water? Too much water? Stronger, lighter? Any thoughts, ideas, criticisms or input you would like to contribute is welcomed and appreciated.

Some of my requirements:
- low and wide (same trackwidth as tow vehicle if possible)
- low with a rack on top for bikes and canoes. I like to see out the rear window of the tow rig and see traffic behind me.
- Dexter Elec brake with manual parking brake
- solid axle with leaf springs, 10" ebrakes. Regardless of trailer weight, Electric brakes are a must IMHO.
- 15g on board water
- Shurflo (or similar) on demand pump
- Eccotemp L5 Propane water heater if desired. Chicks dig hot showers.
- Articulating hitch receiver. Good for wheeling and to leave the trailer behind and hard to steal.
- Tongue long enough for jack knifing more than 90° if needed. Handy on tight trails.
- Tongue long enough so that if you cross a creek bank, the back of the tow rig doesn't come into contact with the trailer tongue box or propane bottle while climbing out. Think extreme angles!
- Mild AT tires and moderate size rims - keeps trailer weight low.
- LED lights everywhere for area lighting- I prefer the warm white vs cold white LED strips. Having couple under the chassis is a good way to light up the camp spot indirectly.
- Small solar charging panel to top off the battery (if needed). Mine is hard mounted to the top of the tongue box.
- Switch panel for area lighting located inside the sleeping quarter (turn off lights before turning in)
- means to attach an awning of some sort (sun and rain shelter)
- A little tongue heavy in case you want to sleep in the trailer and not worry about flipping over (if not attached to tow rig)
- Have the capability to pull over on the trail and make lunch w/o taking everything out. A simple pull out drawer, fold down tailgate should do. Having running water for lunch prep is nice (a must with kids!)
- Install reverse/backup lights on the trailer so that they come on Automatically with tow rig in reverse or in manual mode with a switch.

Xrunner

Explorer
Personally I would skip the retrofit ideas and just have a shop build one to my specs or order from one of the smaller off-road manufacturers. Ruger Trailers comes to mind as they are local to me but there are several similar builders. I'm on trailer #6 now and finally getting close to having my ideal one... starting off with a $3,000ish trailer it would have been cheaper in the long run (but probably not as much of an experience! :D)

Here are some of the ideas I've settled on over the years:
3' wide X 5' long X 2' tall enclosed/locking/weather tight cargo area seems to work well
Solid build but no overkill, a dry weight in the 600 pound range seems ideal for smaller tow vehicles
Swing to the side tailgate (for future fold down table and small propane tank mount)
Flat fenders and steps around the edges, most camp sites seem to have a shortage of flat surfaces
Bottle opener mounted in easily accessible location
Common wheel bolt pattern with full size spare tire on trailer, preferably matching tow vehicle
2500 to 3500lb axle with breaks, probably a torsion axle or at least leaf springs with shocks
Tall tongue box for firewood stacked on end
Front receiver hitch for interchangeable ball/off road hitch/etc
Rear receiver hitch for bike rack/etc
Front and rear stabilizer legs
Recessed LED marker/tail lights
Basic 12 volt battery setup for simple stuff

Here's a sneak peek at a winter project...
photo_zps45910da8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke