Sony A7- first full frame mirrorless camera

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Blast from the Past

My first digital camera was a Sony F 707 which had an electronic viewfinder. Coming from years of SLR ownership, I thought it was a slick solution. The only problems were:

-- The viewfinder was slow scan which made it rather useless for fast action, and,'

-- The camera itself was slow to process exposure and focus information.

The IQ itself, at 5 MP (JPEG only) was quite good.

71590678.jpg

72214587.jpg

Address these issues and it would be great to do away with bulky prisms and flapping mirrors, but only if I can keep my present lenses.

taco2go

Explorer
Seems like the 7r's sensor is the same one in nikon's 800e.
They do have a small offering of form-designed lenses for these, i'm sure adapters for other mounts will be available. But from what I'm reading, the the sensor may not align properly.

Viggen

Just here...
but only if I can keep my present lenses.

Which you probably will not be able to do. If Sony is anything like Canikon, they will change their mounts making some lenses impossible to use without and adapter. Thats the one reason I stick with Pentax. They went from M42 to their K mount and have not switched. The lens options are nearly endless.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Which you probably will not be able to do. If Sony is anything like Canikon, they will change their mounts making some lenses impossible to use without and adapter. Thats the one reason I stick with Pentax. They went from M42 to their K mount and have not switched. The lens options are nearly endless.

Just to clarify, Nikon has been using the exact same F-mount since 1959. Every F-mount lens ever manufactured can be fitted to the most modern of Nikon DSLR's. So in terms of longevity, the Nikon F mount has a 16 year advantage on Pentax. Not that it really matters, no one is using antiquated lens on modern machines when better lenses exist.

As for the A7, awesome! I like the A7 with the on sensor phase and contrast detect AF over the contrast only AF on the A7R, but I would want the A7R's resolution and lack of AA filter. I will be watching with interest to see how this segment develops.

BretEdge

Adventurer
I'm most interested in the A7R. I'm trying to get my hands on one to test for a few weeks. If the results are as good as anticipated I might be willing to switch from my Canon 5D MKII system to Sony. I've long believed that Sony is the main innovator in the digital camera world and if I were just now getting into photography, I'd go Sony without hesitation.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
The only thing that scares me with Sony is their imagining division isn't profitable and hasn't been profitable. Sony's other divisions keep imaging afloat for them. That's why they have being trying so many different things, Sony keeps throwing everything at the wall hoping something will stick. What's going to happen to the A line? If I had invested in the A line I'd be a little unsettled. Sony haven't built the pro side of their business and until they do I don't think they're going to get the buyers they want because enthusiasts look at what pros use and if pros aren't using Sony, neither will they.

zimm

Expedition Leader

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_F-mount

what? what are you jibbering about now?

there may be more old pentax lenses available, but because nobody sells old nikon lenses. guys will sell their old F, but they will only part with the 50mm it came with, if youre lucky.

ssssnake529

Explorer
Pretty sure that Leica has had full frame mirrorless cameras on the market for a while now, so I'm not sure that this Sony is the first one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94