Cooking with griddle on a propane grill?

Honu

lost on the mainland
I have heard of salt never used it ? woks I use peanut oil and onions actually on first seasoning but they are steel :)

but the partner I more or less just cook with as normal and when cleaning use water and boil it scraping anything stuck and then dump out maybe repeat once if still dirty and wipe out then with a touch of oil on a paper towel buff it out
not sure you can season anodized aluminum really ? (maybe you can maybe you cant) but so far both my anodized dutch ovens and this griddle seem to be very non stick this way ?
basically mine has never seen soap and no plans to

the woks are of course steel and need the oil coat for sure and I dont bring them camping but they are my prized non stick woks for outdoor cooking at home :)

This was what I was referencing.

perkj

Explorer
I use a Weber 1520 go-anywhere propane grill. The grill cooks evenly but I'm not a fan for the price, cheap piezo, bad regulator and the not so rare flame outs with very little wind. Enough venting about the grill since the damage is done. I figured I'd put that out there for search sake anyhow.

For the not so rare flame outs, you need to add a wind blocker to the air opening in the burner. Works like a charm...see post 17 in the link below:
See post 17 in the link below:
http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49486&page=2

attachment.php

Also, here is the link on how to turn up the burner for more BTUs. Make sure you use a nice fitting very small screw driver b/c you can mess up the slot on the head of the screw if you don't:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?45132-Gas-Go-Anywhere-increasing-heat-and-sear

I have googled using a griddle on top of the grill grate and have seen that it works, but I'm concerned since its not a very common thing and would seem to be good for car camping. All the examples I found are from high powered backyard grills. Are any of you doing this on the trail?

The Rocky Mountain Carbon Steel 10" x16" griddle in the links below is a PERFECT (and I really mean PERFECT) fit for the Go Anywhere and what I use on the Go Anywhere:
http://www.amazon.com/Rocky-Mountai...19003&sr=8-10&keywords=rocky+mountain+griddle

http://www.bbqguys.com/item_name_Rocky-Mountain-10-X-16-Inch-Steel-Griddle_path__item_245166.html

8315b03358450f37695ceaaa69a21ec5.jpg

-I have found that some people remove the heat spreader from the grill to allow more direct heat to the griddle. I understand thats ideal, but the grill is quite frankly disgusting to touch lol. Anyone ever leave the heat spreader on and then put the cover on the grill for more heat? I cant find any griddles that fit even close to edge to edge so heat would not be contained under the griddle very well without a cover anyhow.
The griddle I linked above will seal to the edge of the grill on all sides with the grill grate off. Removing the heat spreader does allow for better heat on the griddle but the BTU mod I linked above allows you to get enough heat to even leave it in. Best to use the grill top/cover in the initial warm up on the griddle to heat it up quicker(10-15 mins or so on that Carbon Steel griddle) and then remove for cooking.

You can also upgrade that heat spreader to a nice stainless steel:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131092399587

77e95a5a-6989-4b59-8f1d-2bd6f3ab21ee.jpg

Also, I've found it best to clean the heat spreader/flavor bar after every trip. With the stainless steel one you can toss it right on your big home grill to heat it up hot and burn much of the build up off and then just you a grill brush on it to get it looking nice and new. You can do it with the stock porcelain steel one as well.

Here are some pics of my grill and some of the add ons:

Custom 3/8" stainless steel rod split grill grate:
IMG_3366.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

Craycort Cast Iron grill grate:
0355A7D0-A92F-48AC-832F-FFBE5BD6B35C.jpg

And a grill lid thermometer:
72336445-7F76-419D-BA3D-0D799207CE5B.jpg

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Great post perkj - I have one of the knock-offs of the GoAnywhere and I think most of the same fixes will probably work for me.

Mine's been a continuous low-level of small fixes, and it mostly runs great. After dropping it and breaking my plastic side handles I've already upgraded to stainless and wood. My next hack will be to do something about the top handle - either making it folding or at least find some wing-screws to make it easier to remove so I could flip it to the inside. Not THAT bad as-is, but its so galling to have that things sticking up where I can't pack something on top of it.

Back on topic: The Lodge Reversible Grill/Griddle is a good fit for my Go Anywhere clone. I also use it on my small Coleman stove, but I needed to cut off one of the loop handles to get it to snug into the corner when I have the windscreens out.

I also use it on my smaller Coleman

perkj

Explorer
Here is a picture of the Weber Go Anywhere with the Rocky Mountain Griddle I linked in my post above:

image.jpg

chromisdesigns

Adventurer
I have a Lodge dual-sided (smooth and ridged) double-burner cast iron griddle and use it a lot with my Camp Chef Everest stove. Works a treat. I have also used the griddle over wood fires in a fire ring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz