The bottle jack, improved

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I've written before about Bogert Manufacturing, specifically their Safe Jack system for the Hi-Lift jack (here). The company has just introduced a new Safe Jack system for the ubiquitous bottle jack, and it hugely increases the versatility of that tool. If you've ever balanced a bottle jack on a couple of 4x6s to get it to the height you needed, you'll understand my enthusiasm. The full review is here.

10253123563_d211a2487d_c.jpg

10253122833_c93c2b7893_o.jpg

steelheadbum

Adventurer
I have this kit but I paired mine with an 8 ton jack from US jacks, Works great and would recommend to all.
Buck
The Redneck Mexican
2002 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4 8inch lift pop top conversion....

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I've been using the Hi-Lift Safe Jack for six months now, and I'm still impressed with it. It's not for every situation, but it's simple to unhook the cables and use it as a load-spreading base.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Should note that the likely hood of bending a ram is higher.

I thought about that, but then tried to think of ever hearing about a bottle jack ram bent in the field, and couldn't recall an instance. But certainly if you stacked extensions considerable extra caution would be mandated.

nat

Adventurer
I'm going to guess the PSI necessary to do that is extremely high. It is easy enough to calculate using Euler's column buckling equations.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
It is easy enough to calculate using Euler's column buckling equations.
Of course it is. ;) Let's see, where did I misplace those column buckling equations?

I got this setup for the XV-JP. High quality kit, though I'm in no hurry to run into the problem that requires me to use it.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Good news if you're thinking of one of these . . .

I got an e-mail today from Bogert Manufacturing offering a substantial 15% discount from Friday through Monday. Might make it time to buy.

Bogart sale.jpg

squeezer

Adventurer
Of course it is. ;) Let's see, where did I misplace those column buckling equations?

I got this setup for the XV-JP. High quality kit, though I'm in no hurry to run into the problem that requires me to use it.

P = n π2 E I / L2 (1)

where

P = allowable load (lb, N)

n = factor accounting for the end conditions

E = modulus of elastisity (lb/in2, kPa)

L = length of column (in, m)

I = moment of inertia (in4, mm4)
Factor Counting for End Conditions

column pivoted in both ends : n = 1
one end fixed, the other end rounded : n = 2
both ends fixed : n = 4
one end fixed, one end free : n = 0.25