Opinions Needed

prharleys

image.jpg

Hi all!

I'm having a difficult time finding a decent military style trailer to begin my XT project. The picture is of a Magnum Products TG2S trailer that started as a generator trailer. The dimensions of the frame (rectangle) are approx. 4x10. the question is, is it too much for an XT. I know most teardrop are based on 4x10, but other than the KK's I haven't seen one this size. Please feel free to post your experiences as well as opinions. I do not do hardcore off-road, but hope to do some challenging trails in the near future.

Cheers

prharleys

The width between tires is just short of 48", is the length that has me concerned. Just read my op, I guess I should have been clearer, I haven't bought the trailer, I'm trying to determine if it will be a good starting platform for my build due to the ten feet length. Should I buy this or hold off until I find a shorte one...

Last edited:

lilgription

Observer
The trailer is a good start for anything from a tear to an open platform. But i bet from the picture its heavy and probably overbuilt for your needs. My $0.02

prharleys

Here is the sellers description:

"4 x 10 utility trailer for sale. 2x6 box steel frame, 5000# rated axle. 15" 6 lug tires. Military hitch, (can new changed to ball style) hydraulic adjustable brakes. 2 electric connections, spade or round. Riveted wiring. Lighted market lights. Upgraded safety chains. Garage stored, less than 500 miles. Basically brand new condition."

And the manufacturer data is in the pic below.
image.jpg

apparently 700 pounds, too heavy?

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
If you are building a tear drop, ten foot is normal. Bed space, figure 7 foot minimum, kitchen close to three foot with slide out fridge. It is too much frame honestly, but price is the consideration. Building it would cost a pretty penny. The weight of the frame is not going to hurt you that much, maybe 100 pounds more than what is considered standard.

After looking at the frame a little closer, it appears to be channel, not the best for serious off roading. Depends on your plans. Rubicon, Rose Garden, John Bull, Carvacre not the best idea. Camping roads, forest roads you should be fine.

prharleys

Thanks all for the replies, it is channelled and I just picked it up. After taking a closer look at the components, I figured it would be a good investment even if I decided to part it out... well i'm not going to part it out just yet... now to the drawing board. Not sure I want to build a teardrop since I already own an RTT. Thanks again for the replies and keep the ideas comming.

prharleys

Well i was finally able to bring it home. Turns out it's not a 4x10 but a 4x8 which i believe is a better platform for an open type trailer. Now I need your suggestions, should I build a bed out of sheet metal or aluminum? welded or bolted? tailgate or not? built in water and kitchen? let me hear those suggestions!

prharleys

Axle Flip

This thing has a surge brake. Is it difficult to flip the axle in order to do a spring over axle? Is it better to get some new spring perches welded on? Has anyone done either? Please advise...

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Order a pair of axle perches and weld them on the top.
An easy way is to position them on the axle, bolt the u bolts on, then tack weld the perches on.

Unbolt the U bolts remove the axle and weld in the open.

Post the results.

prharleys

The before picunre

image.jpg

The biggest perch they had at my local trailer parts store was 3". As you can see this axle is more than three. Now to find the proper perches, this may not be completed 'til next year but I will post pics as soon as it's done.

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
vaju2ydu.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz