show me your Expedition Style FJ...

yotes65

Observer
Greetings Everyone,

While pursuing a few other FJ Forums searching for information/researching for ideas of how/what I should do to convert my stock FJ into an Overlander/Expedition rig it seemed everyone recommend to visit the Expedition Portal... so here I am. I may never really get too far from home, but I still have dreams of visiting faraway places off the beaten path. I was fortunate to be able to spend 9 days in Northern Spain/Southern France in March 2012 exploring the Pyrenees Mountains via a motorcycle and dream of exploring many other places. I think one of the first trips I would like to take would be to traverse the Continental Divide here in the US. However before I do that I need to build my FJ into a vehicle where I would be self-reliant.

So with that being said post up photos of your Expedition FJ. Knowing what you know now what would you had done different if starting over.

Thanks!

dcoy

Adventurer
I consider my FJC build to be "expedition style":

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/100724-AZ-Sandstormer-An-FJC-Build

The build above, in many ways, is a fairly "generic" FJ Cruiser build but the combination of FJC and Trailer are what make it a complete package. Aside from the usual items to make the rig more capable off road, such as bumpers, suspension, recovery gear, etc., I've also tried to keep the build as light weight as possible. I'm using aluminum bumpers, synthetic winch line, and I'm keeping, so far, the stock tire size to minimize unsprung weight and because I'm very happy with their performance, on road and off. The next-to-the last of the major mods left is an auxiliary fuel tank. The FJs small fuel capacity is the only thing about the FJ that has consistently annoyed me. I feel like I am always filling the tank or worrying about whether I'll have enough fuel to make it to the next gas station. The auxiliary tank should take care of that. It's been a slow build so I have yet to regret any components of the build and the slowness has also allowed some items to become available that were not available earlier, such as the aluminum bumpers.

Last edited:

yotes65

Observer
Nice looking setup there, thanks for sharing...

I would be interested in seeing more of the trailer setup you have as well. An ORT is on my list, however I should focus on the FJ first.
Love the sticker on the back driver side window. I still need to slap my on the FJ.
How often do you head south to the valley? Too bad Sedonafest was cancelled this year. Maybe next year. :smiley_drive:

BretEdge

Adventurer
I'm still in the process of building my FJ into a more capable overlanding rig. I'm not planning many more mods but I will install some LED lights on the front bumper, a fridge and a dual battery system. If I could figure out a way to store ~10 gallons of water without taking up too much room inside the rig or installing an expensive auxiliary tank, I'd be all over it. For now I just carry a couple 2.5 gallon collapsible containers with spigots on them behind the driver's seat. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the FJ. It's a bit small for travels with my wife and son but we make it work.

Camping at Medicine Lake-Edit.jpg
Camping at Medicine Lake in the La Sal Mountains

Night Sky Over Toyota FJ Cruiser-Edit.jpg
Big night sky while camping in Valley of the Gods

IMG_5816-Edit.jpg
Obstacle on Poison Spider Mesa

Last edited:

enzo

Explorer
I'm slowly building my FJ up. Nothing too exciting, mods are listed in sig.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    575.2 KB · Views: 25

Richietherocket

Adventurer
I'm still working on my expo FJ also. It has worked out great for our family of 4. Will try to post some pics this weekend when we are out. Haven't done any major mods yet but next year I have the green light to do some great upgrades. The blue room has some great advice on what your first $2000 should be spent on.

yotes65

Observer
I'm still working on my expo FJ also. It has worked out great for our family of 4. Will try to post some pics this weekend when we are out. Haven't done any major mods yet but next year I have the green light to do some great upgrades. The blue room has some great advice on what your first $2000 should be spent on.

Thanks for posting that up.... I recall seeing that some time ago. Out of his list below (prices based on 2008 prices) I have #2, #4, & #5. Currently saving up for #3 - Skids.

In order:

(1) Rear lower control arms and leading edge armor plates to protect them. The OEM arms are weak. One good strike on a rock and you can break them. If you break one, you're screwed. You can disconnect a front or rear drive shaft and you can play games with other "getting home" magic, but once you've lost a lower rear, you're not going anywhere.
Recommended: MAN-A-FRE rear lower control arms with bushings. They're heavy duty (most unlikely to break), they are not adjustable because you don't need adjustable rear lower control arms (IMO) and MAF stands behind their products. US$299.00 for the rear lower control
arms. TLC Trailing Arm Skid US$90.00

(2) Tow Straps/Shackles/Recovery gear is very important. I recommend the ARB recovery kit because it's everything in one bag. I bought my components separately and always keep spare shackles.
Price Estimate: 2 x 10,000 lbs 3/4" Pin Bow Shackles - US$13.00 each & 2" x 30' 8,000 Kg Snatch Strap - US$70.00 & Tree Protector 26,000 lbs 3" x 10' - US$50.00 Total: US$146.00 (estimated)
Again, I bought all my components separately and threw them in a bag. The ARB kit is a one stop shop but there are a number of ways to skin that cat.

(3) Skids will protect your vital engine components. I recommend BudBuilt Skids. There are a lot of people out there who will tell you that this skid is better than that one. They're all right. This is just my opinion folks - more armor is better. Bud stands behind his products, he is a small shop and yes, you may have to pay for shipping, but the product is excellent, he's excellent and that's just how it is. US$650.00

(4) Sliders are also necessary. I recommend DeMello Offroad Sliders. They offer maximum protection, Jason DeMello cares about his customers & is one of the most talented FJ Cruiser fabricators there is. I'm proud to call him my friend. $429.00

(5) Hi-Lift Jack with Wabfab slider adaptor. I hate the Hi-Lift Jack, for the record. They're awkward to use, they are big and heavy and they rust when left out on the roof rack or the spare tire (wherever you store them) but they're essential. If you are going to get a Hi-Lift, do yourself a favor and also buy the Wabfab adaptor so the Hi-Lift won't slip off when you're jacking it, damaging your rig, you or both. Hi-Lift (about) US$70.00 & tubing adapter http://www.trdparts4u.com/Scripts/pr...dproduct=-6211 US$59.00

dcoy

Adventurer
Nice looking setup there, thanks for sharing...

I would be interested in seeing more of the trailer setup you have as well. An ORT is on my list, however I should focus on the FJ first.
Love the sticker on the back driver side window. I still need to slap my on the FJ.
How often do you head south to the valley? Too bad Sedonafest was cancelled this year. Maybe next year. :smiley_drive:

I haven't done a "build" thread on my trailer but I might do that, just for fun. It would be pretty easy to do. It is pretty much an Adventure Trailer Horizon clone but it has a few unique features that I like.

Oh yes, AZFJ. Did Sedonafest last year for the first time. It was pretty fun, and close to home too. Hopefully, they'll have more in the future. There's almost a mindset that, with the 2014 being supposedly the last year of production of the FJ, that all FJs will vaporize. I hope not.

Trying to head South into the desert a little more often, especially in the colder seasons. Really love the desert, but I try to avoid it when it's greater than 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

BTW: I've had most of the "First $2000" for a while, although I've held on the gas tank skids (some people feel they can safely be omitted). I'm finally going to get #1 taken care of soon.

Last edited:

codename607

Adventurer
Here is my expedition themed rig. As far as building an expo rig I think the FJ in stock forum is more than capable. The first things I would add would be great camping gear.
1378713_620113084706035_590086285_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke