build my own popup?

98dango

Expedition Leader
My wife and I have come to the conclusion nothing we can buy fits us perfect.

We have tried Rtt ,full size tow behind and traditional slide in campers.

All had draw backs and up sides. We live in a 5th wheel. So we are some what minimalist. We don't need tons of space. How ever our trips keep getting longer. Her first camping trip 2 years ago was over night. Now 15 days she still is not ready to go home. I am not old by any means but at 32 I'm over sleeping on the ground. So we tried the Rtt deal its nice but as the truck grows its less useful.

So on our last few trips I have been asking what we want need to make time a little more enjoyable. To stand up and sit inside out of the weather. Those are the most common. So we where looking at slide in campers. I hate not seeing behind me I have a topper now and that bugs me. So we went trailer. Well we live in one but who want to in hook and rehook just to pass out before work. So get a small one that's cool but often we go for a night or weekend. During this time we do what I call roving camp. Well drive all day spend a night drive more sleep get up drive and end up at home. For most of this I can tow a small trailer. Then you introduce quads dirt bikes and let's toss a jeep in there.

So we have an issue. For one we don't have the space to store more than one camp item and out toys. So we need a do it all camp pod. I want to be able to mount it to the truck and explore or tow a jeep. Then drop it on a trailer and haul quads or bikes. Roving camp base camp all in one contained unit.

We looked at premade pop UPS some of the floor plans and sizes would work but non where ideal for us. Door in a bad spot wasted extra bed ect. The frames if you can call them that make a Cherokee look amazing. So I would have to build a frame and extend it to haul quads and dirt bikes. Then I would have to make the interior work for its multiple mounting location. Well thats just basically rebuilding the whole thing. Why not just build our own.

Hear is what we have come up with.

IMAG3417.jpg

98dango

Expedition Leader
This will be mounted to a 2000 superduty.
5.4 auto that will have a flat bed to fit this purpose and others. The truck will have 39" super swamper irocks 4.88 gears and what ever I come up with along the way.

mrFelix

Observer
and can I suggest you grab yourself a copy of Sketchup free 3D software than is quite easy to use , you'll come up with more options and to scale

98dango

Expedition Leader
and can I suggest you grab yourself a copy of Sketchup free 3D software than is quite easy to use , you'll come up with more options and to scale

I would have to buy a computer. You don't like my 1"=1' I'm old school.

I have looked at many trailers. I do mildly have hopes of sliding it in my truck. Not a deal breaker but is a hope. We toss the trailer camper back and forth we want both.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
You don't like my 1"=1' I'm old school.
Happy with 1:12 scale, just prefer it on LCD not paper :)

I like the tray back style.
It's the tray back I was in, fellow campers somewhere showed me around their rig. Really nice idea.

I'm not 100% sure the Highrise mob are still around, you may notice a banner across one of the photos reading "To be released on 2011" or some such.

I did hear that Kimberley bought them out to get the design patent, not sure if that's correct but some of the KKs seem to have a similar approach.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I do like the hard side idea just seemed harder to build and keep the collapsed size down. Then again nothing worth doing or having is easy.

I will look in to a computer and a good program before I build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94