Making a ifting roof on a 110

wuntenn

Adventurer
I wanted a lifting roof on my 'slowly evolving exped 110' but the £6k required for a german or french one is out of my league. So after some deliberation I decided to build one myself. Roof tents are too heavy, but also pretty expensive, but in the area I live and am likely to visit most often (above 56 degrees north) having a large sail attached to the roof is not a sensible option to be honest. Of most concern is robustness, weatherproofing and insulation!

Anyway here's a wee look at what I'm up to - apologies that its a mix of metric and imperial sizes but I'm sure you'll understand.

LR5.jpg

Pic above is not quite to scale but shows roughly what it will be like (have not drawn roof rack on this yet but it will only add 50 or 60mm height)

I didn't want to have the vehicle off the road whilst I built this, as I need to use it regularly, so it needed to be 'easy' and not involve taking the van apart. Some of the commercially available lifting roofs use the existing LR roof and raise it on a hinged plinth which is fitted between the old roof section and the van sides to allow the lifting/opening. However this means forming a curved piece for both above the windscreen and the shape of the back door, which is complicated and labour intensive (as well as needing to take the roof off) and as I dont have a workshop I have to keep the work managable, although I do have a small garage but not big enough to get the 110 inside. I can weld and have a small welding setup, but not much alloy experience.

To get round these 'problems' I thought I'd use the existing roof as a base, working up out of the existing gutter to form the sides and back from 3mm alloy sat in the gutter, with a front piece bolted on, and put a hinged lid on it and then once its fitted, sealed and I'm satisfied it works, I can lift it up, get inside on top with the jigsaw and cut out as much of the 'old' roof as I want, retaining enough around the vehicle to bolt the new one on to. Various other mods across the vehicle width to support the bed platfrom in the roof area will help to retain structural integrity and I reckon the finished item will be stronger than original. A roof rack made of simple alloy flat bar welded to the top on its edge with alloy tube across, will also help to make this even stronger (and I can carry my canoes on it).

I searched the alloy extrusion catalogues and found two sections that are perfect - an unequal z section which works for the 'base' giving a good sized upstand to prevent weather ingress, and onto which I can fasten the lower part of the fabric sides, and which also has enough 'width' to allow a gas strut to fit in between. Above that, the 'closing' section is L alloy, inverted, which has bags of overlap up into which the fabric can be fastened and allows sufficient space for the loose material to pull inside when the roof is lowered and closed.

LR7.jpg

Pic above shows sectional mockup with unequal Z section at bottom, with inverted L section on top, with 19mm box which will be basis for sheet on the roof. The black line is where the rubber gasket will go to seal the lid when closed. Note sufficient space for fabric to pull inside.

To retain the front slope (windscreen angle) and give some wind shedding ability I've had the front section above the windscreen bent by my local alloy fabricators (who will do the difficult welding for me). This is because the stock extrusions are all right angles and wont work with the slope backwards.

LR3.jpg

Above diagram shows section above windscreen to be folded by local alloy fabricators after I've fitted it perfectly (!) to windscreen. And a possible gasket solution (I have several solutions all of which should be fine.)

Weight. A conventional roof tent is between 100 and 200 lbs, depending on make and size, and that's without a roof rack to support it. Add a rack which will be at least 50lbs and the overall weight on top is between 150 and 250lbs.

My existing roof rack weighs about 50lbs and the roof section I'll remove is probably another 20-30lbs. So I'm 'losing' about 70lbs or so.

The new lifting alloy roof will come in about 140lbs max with internal bits and bobs, so deducting the weight of the current roof rack and old roof thats being removed I'm only adding around 70lbs and at the very most 100lbs to the vehicle(and that is including roof rack). That's not anywhere near compromising vehicle stability.

Sides and alloy Z and L sections are 3mm and roof is 1.2mm sheet on 19x19x 1.6mm box subframe.

Height. Keeping it to less than 2.2m shipping container height. The new roof will end up only about 5 inches higher than the current rooftop (plus 2 inches for roof rack), so somewhere around 7 inches in total, but still less than a normal roof with roof rack (never mind adding a roof tent). There will be no sloping top on the roof above windscreen (like on the original roof) as it will be flat all the way through, so it looks a bit 'top-hatty' but I can live with that to have room for my feet when lying in bed!

Speaking of which: the length from windscreen top to back door is 9 feet. Deduct a bed length of 6' 6'' (fitted in two sections) and that leaves a 2' 6'' gap at rear end which gives anything up to 9 feet of standing room with the roof up and allows me to climb up and get onto the bed, and I'm fitting a small sink on the passenger side and a cooker on the driver side. The bed base in the roof area will be in two sections with the front piece bolted firmly in place to the sides and braced to be a structural member, and the second section towards the rear will be lift-up and remove and during the day will 'nest' on top of the front section, and can be pulled to the rear and popped in place for sleeping. That two part method allows a good amount of standing room for about 6 feet from the back door when the bed base is 'nested' and will make moving about inside easier. Ladder access to bed will either be rungs built into kitchen sink base unit and cooker base unit opposite (so two bed access points) OR a small alloy ladder fixed externally for roof access which can be unclipped from the outside and pulled inside at night and used to climb up on either side as required.

Anyway some rough plans should accompany this, as well as pics. Plans not to scale, just for guidance. Although the extrusion code numbers are there in case you want to have a go.

3mm might seem overkill but when I added up the weight of using thinner stuff, but needing a stronger subframe to support it, and then the complexity of fabricating that, well.... 3mm sheet was an easy winner, cheaper and lighter.

I'll try and keep photos coming so you can see it evolve. I should be in the welders in the next few weeks all things going to plan to have it all stitched together.

LR1.jpg

Above diagram shows section of roof with extrusion ID codes and dimensions and a rough idea of construction method (not to scale).

LR2.jpg

LR4.jpg

Above diagram shows gas strut fitting and fabric sides.

LR8.jpg

Ply template for windscreen cut to fit then dimensions and shape transferred to ally.

LR16.jpg

Ready to cut.

LR17.jpg

Once its cut with jigsaw the local ally fabricator boys fold the front for me..........(with their years of experience)...........

LR10.jpg

......and do a lovely accurate job - and that's the front almost ready. The front gives the dimensions from which I can work backwards and establish all the other dimensions. Did it this way to allow leeway in the folding process, then use the final folded dimensions of the front as the 'gospel'. Working from back forwards makes getting front dimensions super-critical and more stressful for folders than necessary. Using the gutter as a working surface gives a 'fixed point' from which everything can be established when combined with the accurate front fold.

wuntenn

Adventurer
LR22.jpg

Sides cut, offered up, and 'bodged' to get the right angles and length. Lots of wooden wedges and a shedload of swearing. Doing this on your own is not recommended. 3m long wobbly alloy is a pig to control. Especially if its windy! And you have one on each side!

LR12.jpg

LR14.jpg

Back cut and fitted too.

LR20.jpg

Sides then able to be cut to length.

LR23.jpg

Lots of length allowed in case of errors.

LR11.jpg

Rear aligned and finally cut, wooden wedges to hold it all in place.

Everything level and perfectly aligned and ready for fitting the unequal Z section to the top of these pieces (left and right side and rear.) front has no Z section because it's folded.

LR227.jpg

Above all is aligned and wedged, measured, and checked by eye for level all round.

LR226.jpg

LR15.jpg

Unequal Z fitted and cut. Bit rough but within the tolerances of the welding. Front detail above windscreen ready for pop riveting the z section permanently to the vertical sides/rear. Small bolts to hold in place temporarily whilst I cut the 45 deg mitre at rear, and the effing awful multi-angle mitre at the front which has both a 90 degree angle and the 'whatever the hell the front slope is' angle. Front angle cut is a nightmare. All long cuts were done with a jigsaw, short right-angle mitres with a chop saw, and the multi-angle ones done with a jigsaw, hacksaw, oscillating tool and my teeth.

Z section is pop-riveted to sides and sealed the joint with Tiger Seal, so its ready for welding. Once that's done I can get the width for the lifting top and get that cut.

wuntenn

Adventurer
Managed to get into the welders. Sat the four panels for the 'base' on the floor and we tacked the corners to get started.

weld1.jpg

weld6.jpg

Tried it on the roof of the 110 - it's not heavy, so easy to do and it fitted perfectly, absolutely spot on with no slack anywhere and front joint was tight.

So the full welds applied.

Then the bits for the lifting top section sides and rear were fitted, cut to size and mitered on the chop saw, and tacked to hold.

I cut the stainless hinge so we'd got an accurate height and drilled and self-tapped it in place temporarily, and put a few pieces of the rubber U section gasket that seals the lid to base on as well so we have an accurate width/height, and then the front sloping bit was folded to the right height and to suit the windscreen slope. ]

Next I cut the angles for the front corners with the grinder as they were complicated multi-angle cuts so could not use the chop saw. When I had it all propped together we measured it and I was only 1mm out in the width. Not bad, and easy to weld-fill. So that was tacked to hold, and then whilst I got the subframe box section for the lifting top prepared Stevie welded up all the seams. Or rather some of them. The welder packed in and we couldn't fix it to be able to do the last two rear corner seams. However we got it to the point where I could sit it on the roof and drive it home, and Stevie had other stuff that needed doing anyway.

weld8.jpg

weld9.jpg

weld3.jpg

weld12.jpg

weld13.jpg

Got it home with no drama. You can see the shape in the view from above (below). I'll get a wooden jig cut to hold the 19m box section for the roof which will mean I can turn the lid over, drop the wood inside (2 strips of 50x25mm) with slots for the box section and then Stevie can simply tack them without having to mess about measuring. I've got some brackets I made for the front to hold the sloping bit above windscreen to the roof and they need welding in and that'll be the front fixed tight. Back end is just bolted through the existing rear above the 1/4 light. Simple.

Still undecided on the method fixing the sides of the lower section where they join with the curve of the old roof - maybe a combination of a few small brackets welded on and some pop-rivets with a squish of builders foam all round.

It looks 'big' because its coming up from the gutter line, but in reality the final roof has ended up only 5 1/2 inches (140 mm) higher than the original roof, which is still 1 inch (25mm) less than the height of my old roof rack.

weld5.jpg

Bit of a faff about this morning - had to lift my roofrack back onto the 110 and refix it, screw on a palette of sorts, and on top of that put a 3m x 1.5m sheet by 1.2mm alloy sheet that will form the rooftop on the new lifting section. Back down to the alloy fabbers place and they sliced it to size on the guillotine for me, and then back home and the whole lot back off again.

Next few days I need to fit the 1.2mm sheet roughly to the roof, drill and bolt temporarily until I can get it all aligned and squared and ensure that it's all where it should be prior to final welding of box subframe and riveting and gluing on of roof sheet.

I might get this done in the next week depending on weather. More to come!

LR Max

Local Oaf
Well done!

I must admit, when I began reading, all I could think about was how Top Gear would approach something like this and totally ruin it.

However I am extremely impressed with the progress you've made. Everything looks great! Keep it going!

wuntenn

Adventurer
Glad this of interest.

A few more details: I've bought, and will be fitting in the roof, a boat deck hatch. It is well made in alloy, 500mm x 500mm with 12mm thick perspex. It opens on two well damped rear hinges and will self-support at any angle, and flips right over 180 degrees. This is big enough to get out in an emergency, but generally just nice to be lying in bed looking at the sky through. It has substantial seals as befits a boat fitment and should not leak (even if it is on a Land River! (sic))

I wont cut all the old roof out. I'll only go as far as the joint where it slopes down to the windscreen which is above the back of the front seats. There's a big strengthening rib under there which I'll keep, and cut out all the rest right back to about 50mm from the rear above the quarter lights. This will make the passenger area well-protected and provide structural integrity to the new roof.

The existing roof 'curves' on each side will be retained, and cut where they hit the flat of the existing roof. That 'cup' between old roof curve and new side panel will be lined and will be able to store the rolled fabric sides when they come in as the roof closes, along with two corner rods that lift up to lock the roof open on the gas struts. These rods will lock in place at the back to not only support the roof but also give a hard and rigid 'corner' around which the fabric sides will be formed and kept taut.

The sloping bit of the old roof which is retained above the windscreen will have a fixed board over it inside (this is the front half of the bed platform), which is bolted in and structural. I can put a small hatch in that to get access underneath for concealed storage. And it will also mean that from below in the seating area I can put overhead sunk-in radio binnacle or whatever above my head.

I'm also making a fold-out awning support on the rear above the back door which will swing out to give a cover over the back door area. The awning top will have a zip all round and onto that I can zip the three drop sides when I need them to give an enclosed back door area. One panel will have a square in it to let the spare wheel fit.

More pics to follow.

wuntenn

Adventurer
Today, despite the rain I got the subframe box sections for the roof cut and made a wooden jig to fit inside to accurately space them so that when I take it to the welder he can just zip zip zip and not have to measure anything, then we remove the wood and he can tidy up the joints whilst I cut the longitudinal (short) box pieces to go in between.

Roof (1 of 10).jpg

Wood cut, sloping end will ensure I get them the right way round at the welders!

Roof (2 of 10).jpg

Cutting slots for the 19mm box at the required spacing, leaving a specific gap for the 500mm roof hatch.

Roof (3 of 10).jpg

Wooden pieces for jig to hold 19mm box section, cut as a pair for accuracy.

Roof (4 of 10).jpg

Detail of roof edge with space to pop in the weld.

Roof (6 of 10).jpg

Ply square at far end is a template for the roof hatch cutting dimensions used to align 19mm box in the jig.

Roof (7 of 10).jpg

Roof hatch laid in upside down to check size and location.

Roof (9 of 10).jpg

Different angle.

Roof (10 of 10).jpg

Roof sheet I got guillotined yesterday laid on just to check if the roof is square using the sheet as a guide - its not so will need to attend to that when welding.

Attachments

• Roof (1 of 10).jpg
    Roof (1 of 10).jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

wuntenn

Adventurer
This is what the inside of the top will look like.

Basically the front section of the sleeping platform is bolted in and reinforced to be structural. Cutting the roof back to roughly the first 1m line from the front means I retain the very strong roof bracing of the original roof. I can bolt my frame down through that which makes it very strong at the front. The second bit of the sleeping platform is 'loose' in so far as it can be stored (nested) on top of the front section during the day which means lots of headroom through the vehicle to just beyond the middle.

roofsection.001.jpg

This a rough diagram of the roof section. The insulation will be rigid foam so will be 'structural' and I'll not use 4mm ply but rather 6mm (1/4 inch) so that will make the roof very strong and light, well insulated, but rigid. Automotive carpet will cover the ply and any bare metal likely to create condensation drips.

roofsection.003.jpg

Last edited:

wuntenn

Adventurer
Well done!

I must admit, when I began reading, all I could think about was how Top Gear would approach something like this and totally ruin it.

However I am extremely impressed with the progress you've made. Everything looks great! Keep it going!

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Top Gear is great! They do good stuff, bit wacky but it works. I'm avoiding the wacky though! I'm just aiming for the "works" bit.

wuntenn

Adventurer
And just to add my construction method has incorporated the ability to flex. My 110 has a remarkable amount of bendiness, parking it on gnarly slopes can seriously impede the back door, so I'm taking account of this in my build. (I think all Land Rover 110's and 90's do the same flexything.)

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
Awesome post !

I have a 110 HT sitting here in France and very much want to fit a tilting roof so this could become a Bible for that project.

Please keep it coming !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94