First Aid: Lets have a Talk

troyboy162

Adventurer
I switched to Celox trauma gauze. Its a Chitosan bandage (blood stopper) and I was sold by how it can be used as a burn dressing and does not create any loose particles in the blood stream. I carry lots of comfort stuff like Advil and band-aids, but the good stuff is all related to stopping bleeding. I'm not sure I can do much else in the boonies. Great post!

CAT tourniquet
two sizes of Israeli bandage
celox trauma gauze
medical tape
gauze
sissors
Snake bite kit
bunch of banaids/sunscreen/alcohol swips/asprin/ stuff that came with a kit.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I want say a big THANK YOU to LR Max for starting this thread, and to everyone else contributing here.
:wavey:
I am getting a lot of good info for filling up my red M3-style medic bag with critical supplies. My buddies and I do a lot of shooting and, while we've never had any accidents, we are very mindful of how fast things could go bad in a worst case scenario.
So far we've made do with basic first-aid supplies, but I am putting together a more trauma-oriented kit for a permanent spot in my truck in case (heaven forbid) we ever need it.
VoodooTacticalM3StyleMedicBag.jpg~original

Last edited:

bulrid8

You can carry all kinds of things but if you don't know how and when to use them you can hurt people. I have a ridiculous kit but I am a trauma surgeon. I teach people in my Rover club simple Boy Scout basics (not pushing rocks over....idiots) because that is what I still use, even at work. Bleeding kills, pressure stops it. I have a CAT tourniquet and a few Israeli bandages. I think these work the best. I do have some quik clot and they work well too. Blanket for warmth (ie treat shock) which can happen on a hot day. Most of what you will find in the wilderness is blunt trauma so bleeding, long bone fractures (femur/thigh bone) which need to be reduced if possible, shock and that's really it. Yes there are lots of other things that can happen but really getting to help is priority number one. Even in advanced trauma life support courses the main point is get the patient to a qualified surgeon at a qualified hospital. So in list form here is what people in my opinion must carry to make a difference (no particular order):

Tourniquet
Pressure dressing (Izzy or other)
Blanket
SAM splint and duct tape (never worry about fractures first, gives you something to do while waiting for help)
Emergency beacon (not HAM radio, not CB radio, no smoke signals, etc. Something that when the SOS button is pushed help is immediately on the way)
CPR mask (although in reality blunt trauma causing your heart to stop is almost always fatal and doing CPR waiting for help is very tiring but would I do it....hell yes)
Fire extinguisher

That's really it. Should take care of most things that you will encounter at an acceptable level.

oh, and this is just for trauma, the lil boo boo kit is different. I have a jump bag for trauma and a base camp med kit with band aids, over the counter meds for most ailments (not a plug but the chinook med medication module is pretty sweet for this but you can put together the same thing for cheaper from your local drug store, CVS etc)

This is the best advice on here. Carry what is needed, but don't over do it. One of my fellow medics has a company that he sells trauma kits geared toward simplicity. You can get a good idea off his stuff.
Google "Skinny medic survival". He also does YouTube videos geared toward simple first aid in the field.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Look in the "Overland Medicine and Health" section of Adventure Activities also - lots of good info in there.

madmax718

Explorer
Ooh, good question. I carry a variety of items, so it depends on "how deep " this 3" gash is.

Besides the usual apply pressure and elevate, If the wound is cleanable, I would. Irriate wound I pretty much go nowhere without my MIOX pen, so I'd just make a 2x strong solution to previously drinkable water, and irrigate it out.

If the wound is loosing blood quickly, and time is of the essence, quickclot sponge, clotting gauze, or Stastilion FR. Just depends on what the wound looks like. Put israeli bandage over it, and tighten up.

I carry this as my EDC anyways- its always with me, its what Im familiar with.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Thanks for all of the information. Looks like I need to take some time and simply do my research. The gear info is also extremely helpful.

Thanks guys!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94