Camping - Firewood Gathering Tools

jkosten

Observer
The most axes also double as a hammer for beating on things, just watch the back swing.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
If you want an omelet, ya gotta break some eggs.
Cut some rounds with the chainsaw, split them, couple of fake logs to get it going.
Kick back with a single malt and enjoy the warmth.

I like splitting wood.

CFW_wdchoprz%2520%25286%2529.jpg

129.jpg

and we take our fire pokers seriously around here; this is Andy's.

CFW2013045_crop.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Now that's a fire!! lol. Very nice. I tend to like hotter fires so you can control the heat by how close you are. Only problem is you can go through wood pretty quick.
Pretty-much nobody closer than 10 feet away from one of our big ones.

109.jpg

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
When I lived in the mountain I always had a saw and an axe in my truck... Strange, I know, but, I love chopping wood. I am kind of a gym nut and I love working out so its actually relaxing for me to chop wood. Chopping wood is one of those exercise that use your whole body and is extremely good for you.

I'm sure that will all change if I ever move to the woods (highly unlikely) and have to chop wood to survive.

D

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
If you want an omelet, ya gotta break some eggs.
Cut some rounds with the chainsaw, split them, couple of fake logs to get it going.
Kick back with a single malt and enjoy the warmth.

I like splitting wood.

CFW_wdchoprz%2520%25286%2529.jpg

Boom! My point exactly. Splitting wood is a great workout.

D

Stubbs

Up here in the Pacific NW it can be challenging to find dry would in the winter\fall\spring (ya it rains a lot). So I carry a maul to spilt the wood which helps when burning damp wood. Also have a hatchet for kindling.

Plus I also like splitting wood. Brings back memories of my Grandfather standing beside me telling me where to hit it. And of the course the comments after I failed to do so.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
In general, I bring a bow saw and either a hatchet or axe to cut down some of the larger pieces. Mostly, though I take longer pieces, burn them in the middle and flip them over back into the fire once they are 2 pieces.

In early season (spring) I'll occasionally bring a chainsaw just because there's a lot of blowdown and I don't want to spend all day with the bow saw trying to get down a trail that's blocked.

DJGoo

Too much WoW
I'm pretty minimalist. I gather wood, but if I need to cut something, I ALWAYS have this:

http://thedarkblade.com/wp-content/uploads/Sog-Fusion-Jungle-Primitive.jpg

I used to use machetes, but they're too bulky to carry around all the time and the SOG does almost as good (once you build up that cutting strength). With simple gathering and scavenging I can build a good-enough fire to last longer than I need it to. It helps to keep the weight and bulk down in the Outback as much as possible and there is usually something laying around to burn. I'll sprinkle some kerosene on the pile to light it if need be, too. Anything more I just see as an unnecessary luxury......and weight.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I recently started bringing my DeWalt 20 volt sawzall camping with a spare wood blade and battery pack, it makes camp prep very easy and don't have to smell like chainsaw fumes.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
This was yesterday as I was creating a pile for the evening blaze; found one really nice 6' section of log and managed to half it:

043_zps418cf1a9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz