Camping - Firewood Gathering Tools

lysol

Explorer
So, I am trying to gather the perfect kit of tools for gathering firewood when Jeep-Camping. I go out into the forest when I camp now so I am trying to source the right list to do the job.

I just bought a 30" Bow Saw with a green-wood blade. That should be perfect for a chain-saw replacement.

Now it comes down to the axe... Should I just get a splitting maul and be done with it? I plan on sawing about 2-foot segments of downed trees around the campsite area and then splitting them if they are large enough.

Well, that's my plan. What's yours? How do you gather firewood? Do you just burn big branches that are on the ground all night? Do you just saw 4"-6" logs into small segments and burn them all night? Is splitting wood overkill when camping in the woods?

LR Max

Local Oaf
My buddy has one of these:

https://www.mainemilitary.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=313

Actually works like a charm. You aren't going to be chopping up a cord of wood and most of the stuff is going to be small. Worked pretty darn good which surprised me. I looked at it and was like, "Na. Its a POS." Then it proceeded to save our rear ends when 10F temps hit (keep in mind I live in Georgia, it NEVER gets that cold...and of course that was when we went camping).

I have a small gerber axe that I've barely ever used. A cheapo folding saw is what we used all the time in scouts.

http://www.campmor.com/sven-folding...ml?source=CI&ci_sku=81032WC&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=

Awesome saws. We wore em out. Worked great and they fold up nice and small. I should order one for the truck because these are baller.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
I don't recall ever cutting anything for firewood, way too much like hard work.

Small stuff you break and large stuff you burn the middle out of then push the ends into the fire.

Is splitting wood overkill when camping in the woods?
Yep.

4x4BNB

Adventurer
Look at the Fiskars axe. They are reasonably priced and come with a plastic sheath. I bought the middle sized one and love it. And...u can find them at walmart :p

tonkaman

Adventurer
Anyone ever use the "chain saw in a can"? It's like a chainsaw chain with handles on both ends and you use it like a reciprocating saw. I've seen them but don't know how practical they really are

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I have a folding saw, a pruning saw, a hatchet, a maul, chainsaw, rebar firepoker, full-sized shovel, a case of Duraflame logs, half a case of Duraflame firestarters, and a mind-numbing array of other incendiary devices in the truck at any given time.

We like fire. Fire friend.

Anyone ever use the "chain saw in a can"? It's like a chainsaw chain with handles on both ends and you use it like a reciprocating saw. I've seen them but don't know how practical they really are
Yes.
Not in the kit. I'd limit it to backpacking.

lysol

Explorer
This is the saw I just got. It is a Bahco with a greenwood 30" blade. Everyone says this is an excellent saw. I figure I could find a downed 6" wide tree and saw up 1 foot sections. I wouldn't have to split them. Just an FYI, I'm a pyro and love fire. I like the whole part though (i.e. finding wood, gathering wood, building fire, managing fire for as long as possible). I don't want a chain saw though. They are nice when on the trail to quickly cut up a tree blocking the trail, I like the quieter route.

$20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001IX7TW/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BahcoSaw-3-960x600-720x450.jpg

lysol

Explorer
I don't see a use for me with an axe when camping. A maul though... That could come in handy. The axe couldn't split wood easily. I guess if I had to chop a tree down, or chop up a small tree into sections for firewood, but that is what my bow saw is for.

madmax718

Explorer

Yes. I have. For backpacking, its fine. It cuts pretty well, but it is tiring as all heck. I cant tell between using your biceps as curls or to use your torso and spin. This was on 4" logs. Smaller logs worked a lot better.

If you want some good sustained fires, you really have no choice but to get the bigger logs. Smaller branches work well for me, as I like small controlled fires.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Splitting wood is a nice cathartic exercise, but there's no point for a camp fire unless maybe there is absolutely no small wood around, a situation I've never encountered. Splitting just means a given log has more surface area and therefore burns faster, thus requiring more splitting. So unless you enjoy the work (as lysol seems to do) forget splitting for a camp fire.

I do carry an axe, chainsaw and a bow saw. They are only for clearing tracks but I would argue that the most versatile of the lot is a good bow saw. It starts every time, is not particularly dangerous, and given time can get through just about anything.

madmax718

Explorer
No, a full size axe is about the only tool in the bunch where diameter of the tree does NOT matter. in WA, I encountered trees that were 2ft in diameter that were on the trail. (I should say hiking trail). but the concept is the same; 2ft trees are too big to "move" out of the way, bow saw is too small, and forget about the chain. Only an axe or a reasonably sized chain saw will do the trick. And unless I had 0 other choice, I would not be trying it with a axe. lol

12husky

Adventurer
I had the chainsaw in a can as a kid and loved it! I cut down a number of 10-12 inch pine trees to build my shooting backstop. Mind you I was 12 at the time. Now days I would much rather hand that to my son for him to have that workout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles