My second trailer build....

TexasD-90

Adventurer
expotrailer09.jpgexpotrailer05.jpgexpotrailer07.jpg

Some of you might remember my first trailer build from several years ago (pictures above). After lots of use and lots of thinking I have sold that trailer to build another one. This trailer will be better suited for my family needs. The biggest complaint from the wife on the previous trailer was the kitchen set up. I never did get the slide out to work properly because there wasn't enough room in front of the wheel well. This time we are doing something similar to the horizon set up. I am going to have a main storage box with top mount tool boxed on each side. One box will be for the kitchen, and the other will be for camp tools. This trailer will have on board water, power, fuel storage, tent, awning, and spare tire.

I got started today, and got the frame built. It is 2.5 x 2.5 x 1/8 tubing. The rear bumper is 2x6x1/4 that was left over from a bumper project on my 80. The draw bar is 2.5x2.5x1/4. I also got the frame of the main box started. It is built of 1.5x1.5x1/8 square tubing. I can't get my pictures off my phone at the moment, but will get them up as soon as I can.

I have a question for you guys with this style of trailer. I had planned for the top to open, but after getting everything mocked up I am not sure. It seems like you won't be able to reach in the main box from over the side boxes, so I am contemplating eliminating the opening lid. What are your thoughts? Maybe a bed slide in the main box that would allow you access to all your stuff would be better suited.

awol

Observer
I had planned for the top to open, but after getting everything mocked up I am not sure. It seems like you won't be able to reach in the main box from over the side boxes, so I am contemplating eliminating the opening lid. What are your thoughts? Maybe a bed slide in the main box that would allow you access to all your stuff would be better suited.

I have been thinking the same thing in my build. I decided to keep the usable lid but I think I will add a side door in front of the axle. Between it and the rear door I can get to anything fairly easy.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
The top lids are hard to work with, hard to lift stuff over, get heavy with the RRT. I used to build them and used barn doors in the back with a full slide out and it worked. Still had the top lid, but seldom if ever used it. If I was building another one, I would skip the lid, and do the barn doors again and I side door if possible. I think you have the right idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles