Off-road durability of Cooper A/T3 ?

Ranchero

Wanderer
I'm sure Cooper's A/T3 is just fine for light off-road, but does anyone have any experience with continued exposure to rocky trails (Colorado passes, Baja, Moab)? I've been leaning toward ST/Maxx to replace my MTRs, but they are on backorder now. BTW, my MTRs have been great tires, but they are just too loud and I have trips to Alaska and Labrador planned for the next two summers - some quiet when the windows are down for 14,000 miles of driving would be nice. These will be on an fully farkled 80. Thanks for your input.

lam396

Adventurer
I'm interested also. I have ST/Maxx on my truck but I'm thinking the AT3 might be a good compromise on the suburban since it's the family hauler.

Scott Brady

Founder
We have AT3s on our Land Cruiser and have experienced good success with durability. They are really a pretty amazing tire.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I run them on my Chevy diesel at full pressure driving one of the rockiest trails in the area to access my favorite fishing spots, so far so good with 3 trips up there this summer.

1stDeuce

Explorer
We just put a set of 235/75R16's on my GF's Liberty. She is the queen of cutting down tires on rocky trails, so I'll let you know how they hold up. They did seem to have pretty good sidewall thickness, and these are the "SUV" version, not LT. I think you'll be just fine with any of the LT varieties. And they have handled the recent snow and ice (and cold!) really well too!!
Chris

brian90744

American Trekker
AT3 tires

I switched from BFG's to 4 315/70R/17 Cooper A/T3, better price and nice ride. and great warranty, Coopers were $200 each with load rate D,(3150# @50PSI) same as my BFG's. 4 tires can carry 12600 lbs
brian

Attachments

• at2.jpg
    at2.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 46
  • at3.jpg
    at3.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 47
  • cooper2.jpg
    cooper2.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 46
  • cooper1.jpg
    cooper1.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Shocker

VanDOOM!
I stopped at the local Cooper dealer to check out tires for the van. The guys there tell me the AT3 has a 3 ply sidewall (load range E). I have heard conflicting reports on that.

Maybe they use the same carcass as the ST Maxx, but with a more highway friendly tread face.

dmc1

Adventurer
I have these tires on my Jeep and my xPo trailer. They have been great so far and mine are American made. I like the ride and they have very low road noise. I would buy them again.

brian90744

American Trekker
Info on Cooper Tires

Cooper tire Co make tires Under these Brands= Cooper, Mastercraft, Dean, Starfire, Roadmaster, Avon Tyres, Mickey Thompson, ******** Cepek, Chengshan, Austone, Fortune and Mentor.

Also the company is owned by the Americans. just some info.

Last edited:

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Cooper tire Co make tires Under these Brands= Cooper, Mastercraft, Dean, Starfire, Roadmaster, Avon Tyres, Mickey Thompson, ******** Cepek, Chengshan, Austone, Fortune and Mentor.

Cooper Tire & Rubber Co will make a last-ditch effort to save its sale to Apollo Tyres Ltd on December 19, as it seeks a ruling from Delaware Supreme Court that could force the Indian company to complete their proposed $2.3 billion merger.

Apollo,which would become the world's seventh-biggest tire maker, wants to pay less than the $35 per share agreed in June because of demands by unions at Cooper plants and disruptions at Cooper's venture in China.

Cooper is trying as hard as it can to finalize the sale of the company to Apollo Tyres....if the sale happens it will leave Goodyear as the only US tires company.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/cooper-tire-to-try-to-save-apollo-tyres-deal/1195675/

gwittman

Adventurer

You missed Procomp.

Shocker

VanDOOM!
Cooper is trying as hard as it can to finalize the sale of the company to Apollo Tyres....if the sale happens it will leave Goodyear as the only US tires company.

Not the only one:

Carlisle, Coker, East Bay Tire, Hoosier, Hercules and Titan Tire.

Now not all of them make DOT tires, but they are US companies as far as I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles