Off Road Camping Trailer with Twin Motorcycle storage?

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
A M101A2 or M105 military trailer with extended frame to the front and two Moto rails with tie downs.
They are cheap, stout and would work well behind the MOG.

Attachments

• m101a1rtt4.jpg
    m101a1rtt4.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:

SpeedAddict502

Observer
Would a Jumping Jack work for what you want? I have a friend with one, he likes it quite a lot for hunting and taking his quad. He's towed it all around the West.

http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/features.html

I have looked at those, but not sure how well they hold up? And with the tent inside the trailer, doesn't seem like much room for other items. However still something I would consider.

A M101A2 or M105 military trailer with extended frame to the front and two Moto rails with tie downs.
They are cheap, stout and would work well behind the MOG.

This was actually my very first thought. How easily could the frame be extended without messing things up? What type of frame do these have? I know the weight is quite a bit bigger with the M105, but what about size?

911regular

Adventurer
I just use an M101a3,,,will hold 3 bikes under the canopy or 1 atv and 1 dirtbike. Unload,,inflate a mattress, instant waterproof shelter. In addition its cheap, tough, and easy to fix.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Jumping Jacks are pretty rugged, very roomy.
But they're canvas, take a bit to set up. And you have to unload EVERYTHING to deploy the tent. Then, where do you put it?
You can't just roll into camp, have a bite, and go to bed. And you have to put it away wet eventually.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I would use the original tongue, spring assembly and axle and then mounting the tub where I wish.

The frame is a simple ladder frame.
This would be a simple, relatively cheap project. " just the steel for a new frame and fab time.
Mount the moto rails to the front of the tub.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqN,!q0E-ZRGuSSfBPyidTld0w~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!q0E-ZRGuSSfBPyidTld0w~~60_3.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 58
  • TUH00910.jpg
    TUH00910.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 509
  • t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC05074.JPG
    DSC05074.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC05042.JPG
    DSC05042.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC05011.JPG
    DSC05011.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC05023.JPG
    DSC05023.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 43

mmuthart

Observer
Any issues with just one bike on the back and instability? I thinking of trying that with mine. How much does the back bike weigh?

The bike on the back is my 10 year olds Honda 80. Yeah, the lightest bike is back there for a reason but the 300 lb DRZ on the front is enough to offset it. You'll have to be careful to maintain adequate tongue weight.

hansrober

Adventurer
m101a2 bike camper...heres mine

20131005_091342.jpg20131006_091713.jpg20131006_144749-1.jpg20130421_193356.jpg Its pretty simple, was cheap to build, and has been very solid and adaptable.

hansrober

Adventurer
I have been meaning to put something like that together but just have not taken the time. Most of the trailer was put together with stuff I had laying around or on found craigslist. It has been on the road since last year and have been on about 8 or 9 dirtbike weekenders so far. I am still adding stuff to it but it has been so much fun to use I have not completed all the upgrades I have had planned.

hansrober

Adventurer
Hansrober: looks like you need weight distributing hitch and firestone airsprings in the back of the Jeep

Yes, That picture is a bit deceiving . The jeep is actualy going up hill there and the hitch area is in a kind of wash out area. 20130503_190308.jpgI have some stiffer springs for the rear of the jk I picked up this weekend to tryout. Heres a picture on flat land.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I am looking at the possibility of buying and adapting or just building a trailer for camping. However I always like to bring my motorcycles along as well and I haven't seen too many designs that have this.

Here's mine using a cargo trailer... Though it's only set-up for one bike, it wouldn't be hard to make it set-up for two. There are a few that have done it on the Tiny Travel Trailer forum.

You can see more details in the link at the bottom, but oddly enough, I can't find a picture with my cycle loaded. I'll have to play around and fix that this weekend. Basically, bed folds up against the wall, bikes go in.

Don

-

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
For years we have been developing a unique suspension and finally got everything right. We do extreme 4x4 crawling to desert race pitting / recovery for the motorcycles. To be honest there just isn't an extreme trailer available for hauling your bike till now. Don't get me wrong, There are nice heavy duty bike trailers available for off road hauling. But its slim pickings finding a trailer that will double as a Expo self contained style trailer. So when we decided to get serious about building trailers the first one we wanted to build was a serious off road bike hauler. Its not quite finished as of yet but this will give you an idea of where we are going with it. Keep in mind that it is not finished yet so when you see things like the un finished hitch... it is unfinished. Still lots of loose ends to connect. For now we are calling it the Bivouac Bravo as its the bike size trailer. It is a bit on the heavy side compared to the expo trailers but for this particular trailer it will be pulled by a full size V8 4x4. This is completely modular, camper top can easily be removed and replaced with a flip up RTT top. The side boxes lift of the hinges and are easily removed. With this design there are countless configuration possibilities all on a very capable suspension. Some of you might remember this suspension concept

Trailer-24-Sept-08.jpg

Anyway this is what we are building at Bengels Hot Rod and Off Road Products.

Bengels Pack Mule 015.jpgBengels Pack Mule 041.jpgBengels Pack Mule 037.jpgBengels Pack Mule 038.jpgBengels Pack Mule 042.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94