Off Road Camping Trailer with Twin Motorcycle storage?

SpeedAddict502

Observer
I am looking at the possibility of buying and adapting or just building a trailer for camping. However I always like to bring my motorcycles along as well and I haven't seen too many designs that have this.

I use a SBU Unimog U1250, so I dont have to worry too much about it being a light trailer, but no reason for a big behemoth either.

I also don't know if I would want a small camper or just a nice up high RTT.

A lot can fit into the bed of the Unimog, but it's so high that it's best used for other things. Also I don't want to build it out too much yet because I know I want a Doka somewhere down the line.

Anyone have something like this or have seen one? Just looking for ideas from the group!

I was thinking with a RTT you could have the cage to hold the RTT fairly high, and the motorcycles underneath. Or you could extend the tongue and have sideways parking up there. Just some thoughts.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I've seen Little Guy build any/all of their trailers with a deck in front.
I have a 6x10 Silver Shadow teardrop with a Rough Rider package. 33" tires, full skid plate, etc.
http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/index.php

This is an example from their website
little-guy-6-wide-sport.jpg

highlandercj-7

Explorer
If you want to store the bikes in it too when they are nto being used you may want an enclosed cargo trailer toy hauler conversion. What kind of offroad capabilities are you looking for in the trailer?

SpeedAddict502

Observer
I've seen Little Guy build any/all of their trailers with a deck in front.
I have a 6x10 Silver Shadow teardrop with a Rough Rider package. 33" tires, full skid plate, etc.
http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/index.php

This is an example from their website
little-guy-6-wide-sport.jpg

Thanks for showing me these, I had never heard of them before. Only thing I would be worried about, is how do they handle rough roads for longer periods? Has yours held up well?

If you want to store the bikes in it too when they are nto being used you may want an enclosed cargo trailer toy hauler conversion. What kind of offroad capabilities are you looking for in the trailer?

Yah I looked at those, but most of them are way to overdone for what I would want, plus quite big and not nimble. You can have a fairly large trailer be more nimble, but not the way the ones I have seen are designed. None are made for offroad that I have seen either, but in some ways that can be fixed. And for me I really don't care too much that the bikes are outside, I would always chain them down anyways.

Anyone else?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Thanks for showing me these, I had never heard of them before. Only thing I would be worried about, is how do they handle rough roads for longer periods? Has yours held up well?
I don't have the "hauler" patio, just a really big teardrop. But it's doing great.
3500 pound axle and big tires...
You do have to be mindful that it's back there though. She's wide in the hips.

vwalan

you need one like this.Morocco 2008-2009 019.jpgMorocco 2008-2009 3 073.jpg
carry m,bikes in the back . this one goes all over morocco and into the desert . great bit of kit . wish it was 4x4 but cant have every thing .

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
The simple thing might be use a flat bed trailer, use boxes as the bad boy up there and use an overhead frame that the bikes fit under. Fit an RTT or take the bikes out, fold down the sides like a Flip Jack trailer and put the tentage over the frame. Lots of combinations. :)

SpeedAddict502

Observer
Have you seen this bad boy?

Maybe add a roof-tent over the motos?

That is a very nice trailer. Adding the frame and then a RTT would be the way to go. However being AT I'm sure it's insanely priced haha. But good idea non the less, thanks!

you need one like this.View attachment 193076View attachment 193077
carry m,bikes in the back . this one goes all over morocco and into the desert . great bit of kit . wish it was 4x4 but cant have every thing .

Looks pretty cool, but I think too big for what I'm looking for.

How about something like a Fleetwood Evolution E3 trailer. Pop up with toy section at the nose

http://www.rvguide.com/specs/fleetwood/expandable-trailer/2008/evolution-series/e3.html

I have been looking at a few off road style pop ups. Worried about their longevity but there are some nice ones. Seems if you can get a 10 or 11 Evolution E3 you should be good.

Here's my custom Kamparoo with 2 dirt bikes:

Nice! I'll have to read your build thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94