cracked subframe 2001 quigley E350

susswein

Observer
It looks like the front subframe of my quigley E350 is cracked on both sides. Not sure when this happened, but It's been a couple of years since I've even use 4-lo. Has this happened to anyone else? Can it be repaired/welded, or do I need to order replacement parts from Quigley?

20131025_135000.jpg20131025_135050.jpg

madmax718

Explorer
is that square tubing? I dont have a quigly, so I don't know. But it looks as if if they might have reinforced the first few inches from the bolt, and the rest is just straight square tubing. If that is the case, its a stress fracture of some sort. I woulnd't worry too much about it, grind it down, maybe v-grove it, and then burn a rod. Plate it on the outside if it makes you happy (with a piece of angle iron) as long as it won't interfere with your suspension.

Jonny

Observer
I believe that Quigley now has a round, not a C or U channel that replaces that piece. You should contact Quigley
and see what they advise.

bdog1

Adventurer
I think that's considered the upper control arm. Frame is "much mo serious".

Sent from my weak AT&T iPhone

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Correct, the control arm is cracked. They now use a round arm, give them a shout with your vin#.

Or you can install a UJ conversion! :)

susswein

Observer
response from quigley

I contacted quigley, and these are indeed the upper torque arms. They issued a technical service bulletin about them in 2006 and offered to send replacements, but that offer only lasted a year, and now they want me to pay full price for replacements at $137 apiece (plus shipping).

I am NOT a happy quigley fan.

bdog1

Adventurer
That don't seem too pricy. I replaced a lot of control arms on TJ's. Stock there a pretty crappy sheet metal deal. Real ones are expensive but HD with heim joints and adjustable.

I still have the square straight arms on my 94. The bent arms give a little more tire room a full turn which is nice. Figured if I needed an arm I'd just make one, there's not much to them, but for that price I'd have to consider replacements.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

dinobody

Observer
I had Drew at B.C. Fabrication in Bayfield Colorado build me a set of four out of 1 1/2 d.o.m. with heim on one end and a bushing on the other for around 400.00 I cant rember exactly Drews p.h. 970-759-1719

Doug

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I have a set of round bars here if anyone else runs into this problem. 40k on them, off a van that we're currently DeQuiglifying.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
A 12 year old vehicle and your not happy about a part that will cost you 137.00? C'MON MAN
I contacted quigley, and these are indeed the upper torque arms. They issued a technical service bulletin about them in 2006 and offered to send replacements, but that offer only lasted a year, and now they want me to pay full price for replacements at $137 apiece (plus shipping).

I am NOT a happy quigley fan.

susswein

Observer
It's actually 4 parts that will cost me over $500 (plus installation). Given that this is a known problem that quigley admitted to back in 2006 I would expect (at a minimum) for Quigley to make them available at cost.

bdog1

Adventurer
I was just looking at FWD book that came today. Front of jeep is $489, that's for all four, front and rear kit is $849, that's all eight. Think they have one joint and one bushing.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

cjken

Explorer
That happened to my 2000. Mine was due to rust and closer to the front near the axle. I replaced all the bars with the round ones.
Can't remember the cost. it was at least 6 years ago. The round bars held up much better.
The still looked new when I sold the van in September. The fuel tank in that van also rusted out where quigley shortened it. I replaced that at the same time.
The ujoint tank looks like a much better solution. I would have went for that had it existed at the time!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior