1st Gen Cummins Build

ramsport59

Observer
Hey guys,

I guess I should start a build thread here since I am slowly getting to a expo type rig.

This dodge is a 1993 and started out life as a Cummins powered D350 Dually long bed regular cab.
-4-2.jpg

Then it was converted to a W350
images

Then finally the real fun began. Shortened the frame 22", basically now a Short Bed Reg Cab W350.
and a offroad type bed was being built.
299957_474720335904379_2098578854_n.jpg

ramsport59

Observer
Then after building new driveshafts, Shackle flip in the rear with chevy 63" springs, 52" front chevy springs, 38.5 Pitbull's.

It was drivable. Had some issues on the street so I had to change something up and ended up dropping down to 37 Swamper SSR's. And this is how she sits today.
558576_632290630147348_1826705638_n.jpg

Now I finally have a rig I can drive down the highway at 70mph with one finger on the wheel, A decent offroad rig with tried and true leaf springs. Still need some small things taken care of for everyday driving but its getting close.

ramsport59

Observer
My GOAL is to have a rig I camp/expo out of, go wheelin at local offroad parks, and just basically have fun in it.

So now I am at the point of, I want to "camp" out of it. I went a little hog wild with the bed and cage. Part of me wants to install a factory bed back on it and put on a cap of some sort. Part of me says modify what I have with a custom canvas top. But to do so I would need another 1' off the back to have leg room to sleep. Which a custom top could be made I guess. A factory bed could be modified to fit the frame correctly, would be the easiest to create the end goal...

But Give me some thoughts guys, I'm stumped at this point.

Thanks
Rick

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
A factory short bed and contractor type cap gets my vote. Simple, classic, effective, and still unique.

kfgk14

Adventurer
Roof top tent and locking storage would be my strategy with the current setup, make it easier to not have to find a bed/cap.
Just my 2 cents

ramsport59

Observer
I have found a bed in decent shape and near home... But I have nearly $600 in steel alone in the current bed. And probably would get nothing out of it. Putting a tent up on top is out of the question. Your talking 7' to the top bar. Most places I go have low height, very wooded. I'm thinking about cutting the cage off and start fresh with a much lower "tent" area.

Rick

lstzephyr

wanderer
I really like your truck! I think that truck would be awesome with a factory bed. A stock bed and a cap have worked perfect for me for years. Even though you have that much tied up in the bed you currently have it sounds to me that what you really want is a factory bed.

Personally I don't see the point of rooftop tents. I'd rather have a separate tent or a more solid structure. A ground tent, a canvas top and your current setup could be very useful too.

Last edited:

ramsport59

Observer
I think yall gave me that final push. I'm picking up the bed this weekend. I guess I need to cut off the old bed!

Thanks guys!

Rick

UHAULER

Explorer
I thnk stock beds look better, Yours looks like so many rubicon/crawler beds that everyone used to build, including my friends and me. My buddy built one very similar to yours for his toyota, it weighed a ton and eventually he put the stock bed back on.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
You should be happy under a cap with a factory bed. I'm 6'1" and my short bed is just long enough for me to fully stretch out in. If I had a reg cab, I would be shorter and lighter = better off road, but it's my daily driver and I need a family friendly truck. I love the old Dodge body style. It should look cool as hell too.

ramsport59

Observer
I had no Idea how much that tube bed weighed. A buddy and I just cut it off the frame and lifted off to the ground. Between the two of us we lifted the old 8' bed off without issue. But this tube bed was another story!

Thanks guys for the opinions, now I guess its time to find a nice cap for it.

Rick

lstzephyr

wanderer
Nice, dude! Way to commit to it and get down to work. I think you will be happy with the short bed. I have tons of extra room in my 8ft bed and I have wanted to cut my 1st gen down to a short bed for years.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Good to hear! I think you are going to be happy with the shortbed and cap. If you can find a Leer or other good brand that is roof height and follows the body lines fairly well, it could look similar to this:

image_zpsc1354fe7.jpg

But you will still have the practicality of a pick-up! Looking forward to the results!

ramsport59

Observer
Yeah finding a old school bed width camper shell around here will not be easy. Might have better luck with a utility cap.

Anyway, Sunday I'll make the 200mile trek to pick up my new bed, tail gate and windshield!

Rick

ramsport59

Observer
Well I have all my goodies at home and the new bed sitting on the frame rails.

Of course none of my holes line up so I need to make all new mounts or holes in the frame.

I've found two different caps. One utility cap($200 OBO) and one fiberglass one($80 firm). Need to make a decision on which I really want or just go for a bed tent...

I'll get pics of the bed on the truck this weekend.

Rick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior