Nissan hard body build mabie?

98dango

Expedition Leader
Ok I need some one to talk me in to or out of this. So my wife wants to do a bit more wheeling than I feel good doing in my superduty. I owned many rock crawler trucks before we got married. My dad still has a very built jeep comanche. She wants to go places with him and I have a pile of parts. So to her this is easy put that pile under that pile of truck go play.

So my question is this. Is a Nissan frame as strong as a toyota frame. I like that not every kid has a built Nissan un like Toyota's. But that is not always good.

Ok hear is what parts I have

1987 Nissan 2wd truck bad motor
1994 gm 4.3
700r4 rebuilt with all the good stuff
Toyota 8" front axels 4:10 gears rebuilt with high steering.
What I don't have
Rear axle transfercase.

Now I don't want a ton of money in this truck. But would I be better off spending the money on a running and driving toyota toss my good front axle in and hope I sell my left overs for enough to make it a wash. Or dose this sound like it could work with what I have laying around.

Yes I have the fab skilz to stick it together.

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
I don't think it's a bad idea, but perhaps she needs to still have an idea of she's getting you into. ;)

Why no one respond is maybe b/c the topic is not suited here? I could very well be wrong or that your build idea is too unique.

One other place that would receive activity.... http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/53-nissan/

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have been a pirate member for oh 13years or so. There Nissan section is not that great in less your a xterra fronterr guy.
I know she has no idea what is in store money time. But that is why I want to put a truck together on the cheap. If its to much for her I don't want 25k in a truck you can mabie get 5 out of.

I have build so many truck in the last 10 years its not funny. Had I just kept one the quest for better sent me to the next project. About 4-5 years ago I got less in to how much can I beat this truck and more in to seeing the land.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Well not very EXPO based this build will get started around December. This will be a support truck on our deeper adventures in to moab and the rubicon.

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Heck, why not? Worried about the frame? Box it. Had a '79 Datsun 4x4 that we banged around Baja in for many years. It finally got scrapped 2 years ago as a gross polluter, but ran fine if you didn't mind blue smoke... Putting a solid axle up from would only improve it.

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Heck, why not? Worried about the frame? Box it. Had a '79 Datsun 4x4 that we banged around Baja in for many years. It finally got scrapped 2 years ago as a gross polluter, but ran fine if you didn't mind blue smoke... Putting a solid axle up from would only improve it.

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

It should have a box frame as is, or at least the 4by's did. Should be a good build, the old ratsuns are good trucks.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
I've seen an '83 Nissan KingCab converted to Toyota running gear and Isuzu diesel power. It wheeled ok on Crab Flats Trail in the 90s. Wheelwells are very small.

Could do this...
jackedupnissan.jpg

Last edited:

billessig

Anecdote: Roommate had an 87 D21 (hardbody). Sold it with 320k miles on the clock. Mechanically solid, still ran.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94