Heating a Roof Top Tent with a Wood Stove...

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Outfitter tent style.

553_tent_pic2.jpg

Let's investigate this scenario using a proper roof top tent with an "annex" or changing room added. Like this ARB Simpson example.

arbtentpic003.jpg

Obviously the lower portion of the tent would have to be modified with a stove pipe. What else should be considered? Here is an example of a stove that may be suitable.

stoves.jpg

On the left, the Snowtrekker Solo. 12"x10"x9", 12.2lbs. $185

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Back when I was still trying to decide on a RTT, trailer, Flippac, etc. I was looking at a RTT (either mounted on the truckbed or on a trailer) and with a good size annex like the ARB you show in your example. Since I wanted a diesel truck I looked at a diesel fuel tent heater like this one: http://www.generaljims.com/shop/product.cfm?p=387 I figured placing this on the annex floor would be warm enough to not freeze on the porta-potti I figured would be at the base of the stairs and keep the sleeping area toasty roasty.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
I'm interested as well. I have an ARB RTT, but plan on the AT Habitat top for my JK. I just posted this same inquiry a few days ago in the Habitat thread, regarding sewing in a stove jack and running an ultralite wood stove inside.

madmax718

Explorer
While i love wood stoves, I never would have considered it an option- for an RTT (or any tent, other than an outfitter type tent where you'd spend a week or more. There's a huge safety and upkeep factor.

I don't know if nylon RTT's would be capable of supporting the heat, but maybe canvas ones.

trevan

Just spent 7 nights in a canvas tent with a wood stove. Lots of challenges to fit in the base of a RTT and maintain safe clearances from combustibles!

Cool heat source but it takes up a lot of space and burns a large amount of fuel! Heat output is a little hard to regulate, the smaller ones don't hold a lot of wood and you would have a very hot stove pipe running up to the roof inside the RTT!

C

codename607

Adventurer
I use a Buddy Heater that is made by Mr. Heater. I picked up the Portable Buddy last winter from Lowes when it was on sale. I use it up inside the RTT on really cold nights. So far the coldest that I've used it was during one winter night when it got down to the teens. I normally run the heater for about 30mins on low but then I have to turn it off because it gets so hot inside the tent.

These heaters are great because you can use them indoors.

The Portable Buddy has a low-oxygen shutoff system and a tip over switch. Plus they use a small propane tank that is easy to transport and store.

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=41&id=24

Sirocco

Explorer
We have heated the area made by our hannibal awning with sides. Canvas is fine as you can get a flue kit sewn in and then modify the flue angle to exit safely away.

It would work better with an annex RTT, we use a maggiolina so havw no option. But we are hardcore and sleep in with no heater when its minus 20 c :) diesel burning heaters are a great option if you can stomach the expense.

We use the frontier stove from camping solutions in the UK. Packs into a zarges box nicely

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

Warrenpfo

Why not just get a webasto or similar diesel space heater and duct it up to the roof top tent. Job done and far easer and safer. You could even put a temp controller in the RTT and then adjust it as you want. If you really want to go the extra mile then add a timer unit and it will kick in first thing in the morning so you dont have to get out into a cold tent but rather it will be nice and toasty.

it runs off diesel from your fuel tank and if you install it right is very quite and efficient. Just thought.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Every year when the weather gets crappy (3/4 of the year here in the PNW) I start thinking about heaters. I'm on the fence about an Espar, wood stove, or Propex. I have an unleaded JK, with plans for an AT Habitat top. Since I don't have any diesel appliances or vehicles, I'm thinking Propex is the way to go. Is the output enough to warm the entire Habitat....I don't know. But, *what if* I end up with a diesel rig down the road? Will I regret not having a diesel fired heater for any future out of country travels, where propane is supposedly difficult to find?

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
But, *what if* I end up with a diesel rig down the road? Will I regret not having a diesel fired heater for any future out of country travels, where propane is supposedly difficult to find?

I'm a notorious "planner/researcher" so take it from me... Unless you are ready to pull the trigger on a diesel in the next 6 months get what works the best for you now. If you build a diesel rig for international travels in the future you will have all sorts of heat options and trying to reuse a heater from your current build will be the least of your decisions.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Jr, that's about the best advice I've received in a long time, great point. I over think nearly everything, and "what if" my decisions to death. The Propex is looking better and better.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I have researched the Espar and Webasto heaters and that is by far the best solution but they can be pricey.

Tenacious, both of these are available in gasoline fired as well so you dont have to go with the Propex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles