HEAT

ripperj

Explorer
When I was a kid back in the early 70s, my dad had a Vw bus with a small wood stove, the chimney went through the crank up air vent on the roof. He would remove the stove in the summer.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I have not needed to use it to heat the truck while traveling, but I do have it if the need should arise.
I use a Zerosart Little Buddy Cabin heater (120V electric) . These were made for big over the road truck to be installed in sleepers.

buddy.JPG

(I added the thermostatic control)

Our vehicles that must remain outside in the fire service had these to keep them frost free during the winter. I installed one in my truck for that reason. I can get paged out in the middle of the night and find the interior warm and the windows frost free.
My plan was to use this as an interior heater in a pinch. The little electric heater will run on a 900w generator. I have one of the little 900w Ultimax generators (12"x12") , or a Sportsman 1850W that will work.

Any small electric heater could be used.

I will say that I have use a small catalytic propane heater as a RRT heater and it worked very well.

IMGP0819.JPG

The heater sat outside the sleeping area in that red enclosure around the window. We did not use it all night. Just early morning to warm up inside before we crawled out of the bags. I would wake up a little early , start it and it would be nice when wife and son woke up. It did offer interior moisture. Lots of it. The electric heater has a drying effect.

I have heard over and over the heating pad or blanket is the way to go. Doesn't take off the edge once you crawl out though.
The heating pad for the mattress is wonderful, I will admit. I like it so much I got one for the home :) Very spoiled to crawl into a warm bed. I like the cold air in the bedroom, and a warm bed :)

Last edited:

DJGoo

Too much WoW
This post is being brought to you from the back of my Subaru parked in my driveway. Why? because I'm no longer allowed to smoke cigars in the garage while my other two roomies smoke cigarettes because I'm just too ba-*** for them (yes, I'm bitter about). Right now it is cold, windy, and wet as numerous November storms blow through Flagstaff. I am, needless to say, a hell of a lot warmer in here than I would be out there BUT it's still starting to get chilly. While I have an absurdly-expensive sleeping bag good for -25f rolled up in the passenger seat, I do not entirely feel incline to deploy it just to keep my legs warm while I lounge. This is a perfect example of wanting an additional heat source without running the engine (because I'm waiting for parts from Subaru. . . .). I'm pretty sure I will be getting supplies to rig my chiminea as soon as I can drive again.

[[command prompt= endrant]> message: thank you for your time]

Yup, this is a live-action, real-time example.

Dawgboy

Adventurer
For that situation an electric heater and an extension cord would work great! An alcohol burner would work to if used carefully. I've done that in a tent before. The nice thing is even though it's an open flame, it never spits, and the emissions are mostly CO, and H2O, so not the most noxious for use when wide awake. This flame runs 4-8" high.
udumuza7.jpg

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

DJGoo

Too much WoW
Well, my space heater is being used in my bedroom, maybe that alcohol thing my work for the weekend :12_4_18:

Dawgboy

Adventurer
Cat food can and a bottle of heat or 91% isopropyl from cvs... And something metal for a snuffer. Since we are talking fabric, set it on a cookie tray or something.

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94