HEAT

DJGoo

Too much WoW
I don't actually own any sort of arm chair. The closest thing I have to a Lay-Z-Boy is a bundled up blanket propped against the back of the driver's seat in my Subaru. This is perfectly okay with me and is as comfortable as anything I need. However, when I have to wrap myself in said blanket/sleeping bag to stay warm as the sun sets, that level of comfort goes away. Ideally, I can park within a a couple feet or so from a big fire to keep the wagon warm into the night, but this only works when doing so is possible, and when actually having a big, visible fire is not undesirable. I also wish not to leaving my engine running all night, as simple as that would be. So for the nights where I do not have a searingly hot bed of coals at my feet, I would like some additional warmth inside the wagon, to keep it cozy. I was thinking about some sort of propane heater, but I'm concerned about not only a potential fire hazard, but also the size and weight of the heating apparatus. Does anyone have any suggestions, recommendations, info, etc etc for me to consider? Winter will be here tomorrow, I hear, and while my newly-acquired arctic sleeping bag is SWEET, I may not want to climb inside just to smoke a cigar (because I got kicked out of the garage).

THANKS

Bernard_Roofus

"Jackaroo of all trades"
I am not sure if it would work in such a small area, but I use a Mr. Heater Little Buddy in my Ambulance. It has a oxygen depletion sensor. I do have a standard camper hatch I leave open, and installed a fresh air inlet at the lowest point or the box. I followed the instructions for ventilation, and it works really well on low, high is just too much. They do make a smaller model as well. good luck

madmax718

Explorer
You are a prime candidate for some adult beverage. Lol
Or a heating blanket
Or boil up some water and a heating bottle.

You pose an odd question about fires, cars, and.. just smoking cigars.

I am not opposed to a nice cigar once in a while, but not in the car, and not in my gear.

If you want to Espar makes heater units. Runs off gas, externally vented exxhaust.

awol

Observer
When I was a truck driver I picked up a 12v heated blanket and used it as a mattress cover. Worked great on cold nights in when you can't let the truck idle.

Eric.

Sent from where I am to wherever you might be.

DJGoo

Too much WoW
You are a prime candidate for some adult beverage. Lol
Or a heating blanket
Or boil up some water and a heating bottle.

You pose an odd question about fires, cars, and.. just smoking cigars.

I am not opposed to a nice cigar once in a while, but not in the car, and not in my gear.

If you want to Espar makes heater units. Runs off gas, externally vented exxhaust.
Well, I DO use Kraken on the coldest of nights. That's a good warming drink :coffeedrink: And there's really nothing like getting in your car on a Monday morning to go to work only to be greeted by the overwhelming smells of Cigar, kerosene, and whatever else the weekend consisted of. :ylsmoke:

I'm thinking something along the lines of a small cat-heater, like the little buddy, but I'd like to keep the tank on the roof and figure some way to rig the heating mechanism inside...? I think some planning might be needed for this. It is my only vehicle, after all.

I could just MAKE something....

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Keep in mind that a propane catalytic heater will put out a lot of moisture, resulting in a lot of condensation.

DJGoo

Too much WoW
37 lbs?! That's more than my FR bike!

Keep in mind that a propane catalytic heater will put out a lot of moisture, resulting in a lot of condensation.

True, but at least that moisture wouldn't frost up INSIDE my car, like it already does anyway.

DJGoo

Too much WoW
What if I cut a hole in the roof for a vent and rigged up a small chiminea? :D A wood-fireplace in my Subaru! Would that work?

I mean, I could rig some sort of steel cage to keep it off the carpet... and It's not that big at all....and i already own it....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior