For those considering 255/85/16s...ST/MAXX is coming soon

1stDeuce

Explorer
Gents, from my experience, the difference between "D" rated and "E" rated is often only one letter in the alphabet... If you upsize, a larger D rated tire may actually have more load capacity than a standard size E rated tire. Just saying...
Case in point, my STT's in 285/75R16 are D rated, while the same size Maxx is E rated. They're on the same carcass according to Cooper, and they both have a 3750lb rated max load. So what's the difference? One letter in the alphabet. They're both WELL above the 3042lb E rating of a normal 245 or 235/85 tire.

Not sure why this is, but ALL of the Maxx sizes are E rated, and my guess is that this is for marketability to guys just like the poster above who has to have an E rated tire. I think the rating of D vs. E may depend more on how they felt like certifying them at the time than much else. We'll just have to wait and see what comes out.
Chris

bfdiesel

Explorer
I have used D rated 8 ply tires well above the 3042 stock rating on a diesel I had. Tires destroyed themselves under the weight.

Zeep

Adventurer
My concern comes from needing a replacement set on my Jeep.(05 LJ Wrangler) The factory E-rated Goodyears suck. I would like to retain my factory rubicon wheels. It seems Cooper listed the above size some time ago in C or D rating. 1stdeuce's comments, if true, will require futher searching, for a 16'' tire suitable for the Jeep!

Willman

Wonder if they are going to continue to be very heavy, that is the only drawback that I would say for this tire.

Do we actually have a release date for these..?

I too am in the market for a new rubber..... Hopefully perfect timing....

Direwolf

This is great news. Too bad it is about 6 months late for me as Cooper told me too it would be November for these to come out. I had to go with the 285's this time, but they have been great so far. My next set will be in the 255 flavor and hopefully net some mpg's.

CAP650

Observer
Shoot, bring it! Great news because I need to replace my 255/85 ST's very, very soon. Like if the ST Maxx's were available today, I'd be at the tire shop right now soon. Hopefully the ST Maxx's show up this month or early December. I guess I will hold out a few more weeks and see what happens :coffee:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
No more info other than what has been shared it the thread linked above.

I'm really wanting to try a set of 255 S/T MAXX as well…

Dazrin

Adventurer
Has anyone seen/heard what other sizes might be available soon?

I have seen the new 255s mentioned in several places, but I haven't seen anything else other than a reference to "20 new sizes" coming soon in another review in June 2013: "The S/T MAXX is a very new tire for Cooper, and as such it is only available in a limited number of sizes. I've been told they will be adding 20 new sizes in the next few months." (That is a good two part review as well if anyone wants more reading material.)

For a long time the Duratracs were going to be my next tire, but now I am very much considering these instead just for the sidw wall. I am planning on a lift at the same time, so I will want a 35" tire rather than 33s.

bfdiesel

Explorer
Email I just got from Cooper said they would start production mid December and be available early in the first quarter.

CAP650

Observer
:eek:

I was hoping to see something a bit sooner then that.... Don't think I can wait that long. Maxxis Bighorns coming my way I guess.

CAP650

Observer
Tread Depot lists the Maxx in the 255/85, but showed it as unavailable. Email inquiry resulted in the following response :
Tread Depot Support
- Looks like early January on those. I will add you to our notify list. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles