For those considering 255/85/16s...ST/MAXX is coming soon

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Any updates? Hilldweller, how stiff does that sidewall feel on the JK. I'm wondering how these would feel on my LJ. I have the STTs now in a load range D and they are plenty stiff. I have concerns about an even stiffer load range E

Fargo, that was my only issue with them, the side wall is super stiff. I aired down to 28 psi just to have a manageable ride. My AT KO's are at 30 front 35 rear and ride is perfect.

1stDeuce

Explorer
<POW!>

Did you hear that? That was me pulling the trigger on 5 255/85's from tirecrawler.com!! :)
Gotta get the 285 STT's pulled off and get my wheels painted so I can mount up the ST Maxx's next week!! Good times ahead! :)
I'll post up some pictures once they're mounted. (They're going on my 8" wheels.)
Chris

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Sweet! Great news.

I hope Cooper sells plenty of 255/8x so they stay in the catalogue.
I exchanged emails with Cooper a few years ago for over a month about the 255-XL sizes and how I thought they were missing the bus. I begged for a 255 STT in big diameters and they said they were looking into it. I linked threads from ExPo.

Maybe if we used the contact info on their website and collectively thanked them for the ST-Maxx in these sizes? And ask for the STT again?
I really like the STT...

Slicky72

Adventurer
I exchanged emails with Cooper a few years ago for over a month about the 255-XL sizes and how I thought they were missing the bus. I begged for a 255 STT in big diameters and they said they were looking into it. I linked threads from ExPo.

Maybe if we used the contact info on their website and collectively thanked them for the ST-Maxx in these sizes? And ask for the STT again?
I really like the STT...

This is a good plan. I love my Cooper tires , I guess I should let them know.

Shocker

VanDOOM!
Hehe, I bought mine back in April and they are still sitting down at Discount Tire waiting for me to finish getting the accessory pulleys and brackets installed.

CAP650

Observer
update

Still very happy with the Maxx's. Been getting a lot of rain this month. They have been great on wet pavement. Even more surprising has been their excellent mud performance. Since we had a bunch of rain, I sought out a few short, muddy trails and mud holes to test'em out. I am not a mud bog guy and don't usually go "mudding" but wanted to see what the Maxx's would do. I was very impressed, pushed further than I expected in 2wd and I really can't complain. Hopefully get in some snow next month.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Given that these sizes (255/80R17 and 255/85R16) are fairly niche market tires, I doubt that you'll see an STT in this size. :( I too loved my STT's, but I tell you, I'm pretty pleased with my STMaxx's. Perhaps if I lived in GA, where that red clay really needs a mud tire I'd miss them, but I'm very impressed with how the Maxx's do in all conditions. I've had them in snow quite a bit now, and they're every bit as good as my STT's were when they were new. I've had them in the slick-as-snot clay mud (caliche out here in NM) and had no issues, aside from cleaning the jeep. :) And they are a lot quieter than my STT's, which weren't really that loud to begin with...

I had them out in Moab Thanksgiving week, and they spent the week at 15psi. Flex was very good, and grip was as expected on slickrock. (Which really isn't slick at all...) I ran them at speed over tons of nasty rock and gravel roads, and climbed stuff just to see where the limit was. Didn't find it. :) No issues with ride quality because of the "stiff" construction either, but I'm coming from a 285 with the same construction. Actually, I think the 255's ride better than my old 285's, probably because there isn't as much tire width. (15psi in the 255's is probably more like 18psi in the 285's.)

Ride on!
Chris

1stDeuce

Explorer
Nope. Put them on the Jeep. Running DC Fun Country's (Bought from OJ at Overland Expo '14) on the truck. (Which, BTW are a lot louder than the Maxx's, but seem very similar in performance. They're made on the same 3-ply carcass, and I suspect use the same rubber compound as the STMaxx/STT.)

I'm still very interested in why a few have had noticable right-pull issues, while the rest of us don't... My Jeep doesn't exactly steer like a go-cart, but it certainly doesn't have any pull that I can detect.

IMG_4444s.jpg

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Nope. Put them on the Jeep. Running DC Fun Country's (Bought from OJ at Overland Expo '14) on the truck. (Which, BTW are a lot louder than the Maxx's, but seem very similar in performance. They're made on the same 3-ply carcass, and I suspect use the same rubber compound as the STMaxx/STT.)

I'm still very interested in why a few have had noticable right-pull issues, while the rest of us don't... My Jeep doesn't exactly steer like a go-cart, but it certainly doesn't have any pull that I can detect.

View attachment 263174

That tire size is perfect on your truck, looks great!

jpat30

Adventurer
I have a question for those of you who have ordered these. Where are finding them? I have looked and looked for a set and cant seem to locate any, not even Discount Direct has them listed. Thanks in advance.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I have a question for those of you who have ordered these. Where are finding them? I have looked and looked for a set and cant seem to locate any, not even Discount Direct has them listed. Thanks in advance.
Discount Tire ordered them for me; got them delivered the next day.

CAP650

Observer
I ordered from my local tire shop who is a Cooper dealer. Tires ordered and arrived without any problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior