Any suggestions for a legless vehicle awning?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I recall there are some out of S.Africa (http://live4x4.co.za/products/awnings/) but not sure if they're still available... available in the US or what their prices are.

Fiamma makes one but it's pretty pricey and the wrong dimensions.

Anyone have any other alternatives? I'm thinking $400-500 would probably sell like hot cakes if someone offered them.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
The Shadyboy unit looks good and isn't too expensive at $300-400 although I'm concerned with how well it would hold up in windy conditions. If I go this route I figure I'll have to put it up before going to bed each night.

I remember the Hannibal but IIRC, that unit is designed to mount to a Hannibal rack and doesn't work with other racks unless you modify the mounts. Not sure how hard that would be and at double the cost of the shadyboy that could be a very expensive option. Additionally it looks like it's currently only available for Pre-Order so it may not be a stocked item at Hannibal USA.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Yep, Socal Teardrops has started to make one that is close to the Hannibal but remedies some of the shortcomings. It's adjustable, has a center bar for rain/snow run off and you can replace the cover ends easily. We had one on our teardrop at OVX.. it was a great piece.

JohnnyS

Explorer
Hmm...I was going to say Hannibal, but I'm intrigued by this new development by SoCal Teardrops...
They don't have anything on their website about it, does anyone have any pics?

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I love my Hannibal awning but if anyone can do a better job and be USA based it is Socal Teardrops....if I didn't already have my awning they would be who I would reach out to in a heartbeat.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I've had a shadyboy awning for many years- its a well made unit and well worth the reasonable price.

Mine has survived a couple of burning man wind storms- although one did tweek one of the aluminum blocks which attach the fiberglass rods. I repaired it by drilling out a rivet and replacing it with a nut and bolt.

The mounting can be done a variety of ways- the stock brackets seemed light weight to me and are best not used if possible.

The only other issue is that there is some small clips on the fabric to help it fold which corroded and left rust stains. I don't think they are stainless steel.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I have the shadyboy on a swing arm and love it.....
For such a small size (when packed away), and light weight it more than makes up for the extra set up time....
I used mine in windy conditions, but had to use legs to stake it.
I doubt it would survive a good wind-draft without the poles it comes with....

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the line on the SoCal teardrops option. I spoke with them this morning and although it sounds like a much better alternative to the Hannibal awning, it's still beyond what I plan on spending (it will be ~$800). I think I'll try out the Shadyboy awning. Seems to fit my needs and is roughly half the price of any of the other legless awning options.

For those who are curious I found 2 videos of the awning being put up & taken down (pt 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJG3le7AJP0 & pt 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti9_R1SXJa0) which answered my questions about it's functionality. Looks like for my needs this will be perfect.

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Ordered the silver reflective fabric awning (also available in other colors) on Monday last week and received it by Friday. Coming from Canada to the US, that wasn't bad timing.

I finally got a day off so I could install it on my Wilderness Trails roof rack. The rack is designed to be installed on VW Vanagons but with a little bit of planning, it was quite simple to install on my rack. All it took was drilling 4 holes in the awning's aluminum housing and a bit of stainless steel nuts, bolts, & washers.

Here are a couple of pics of the finished install with the awning deployed.

Deploying the awning takes just a couple of minutes. The only thing I didn't do, was install the tie down strings that go from the rear corners of the awning to my bumper ends so the wind doesn't affect it too much. Additionally I also bought the optional corner legs but didn't bother installing them either.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    548.9 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 44

SmoothLC

Explorer
Very nice - if you don't mind how much was it?

I've been looking for an awning, and this looks like it just might work perfectly.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94