Really.............Independent Suspension...******?

SouthPawXJ

Observer
Whelp, Jeeps at it again....this going to piss a lot of Wrangler guys off. I really hope this just a rumor.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/29/2016-jeep-wrangler-to-ditch-solid-axles-to-save-weight/

Are we really going to overreact to a bunch of clickbait from Autoblog?

The actual article: http://www.autonews.com/article/20131026/OEM01/310289971/will-lighter-wrangler-lose-its-tough-solid-axle#axzz2j1aX2c6e

He didn't say they were staying, but he didn't say they were going either.

Seriously, I could see them using a LOT of aluminum in the Wrangler... I don't think it is quite time to freak out yet.

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
sooner or later i think it will be almost impossible to find solid axles, all of the junkyard axles will be used up, broke, scrapped etc, since few 4x4s are still being built with solid axles, everyone will be running long travel ifs setups

MOSDIF589

Axel Adventures
sooner or later i think it will be almost impossible to find solid axles, all of the junkyard axles will be used up, broke, scrapped etc, since few 4x4s are still being built with solid axles, everyone will be running long travel ifs setups

I think that IFS suspensions have their place but not under my Jeep... When the junk yards axles are all gone then I'm sure Currie, Dynatrac, Tera-Flex and others will be more than happy to supply the solid axles we crave...!!! It wouldn't be the first solid axle conversion and I'm sure it won't be the last... With that said I've loved all my 50+ Jeeps I've owned but I must admit that for my current needs & wants I love my 2013 JKU. I'll drive the crap out of it and see where it takes me...

My wife wants a new Jeep and she won't mind IFS so ill just wait and see, Jeep hasn't let me down yet....!!

Albert

toymaster

Explorer

You do realize there are quite a few aftermarket manufacturers producing solid axles out there? dynatrac, teraflex, Solid Axle, currie and these are just off the top of my head.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

I think you might be exaggerating a little here.

There are over 500,000 JKs getting around - every single one with a solid front and rear axle. That's just JKs.
I think junkyards will be well stocked for our lifetimes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler#JK_.282007.E2.80.93present.29

-Dan

I'm all for the us of Aluminium, but air bag suspension....if I want a lower rider I'd go pick up an Olds Cutlass Supreme. I think the majority of jeep owners don't really care if the Wrangle doesn't have a supper smooth ride, because those buyers now what kind of the vehicle the wrangler is...designed to go off road. I don't know, it just seem jeep can't leave the wrangler a lone.

I would love to see diesel dropped into the Wrangler, and that may not be to far off the mark considering there's a diesel option for the Grand Cherokee.

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
I think that IFS suspensions have their place but not under my Jeep... When the junk yards axles are all gone then I'm sure Currie, Dynatrac, Tera-Flex and others will be more than happy to supply the solid axles we crave...!!! It wouldn't be the first solid axle conversion and I'm sure it won't be the last... With that said I've loved all my 50+ Jeeps I've owned but I must admit that for my current needs & wants I love my 2013 JKU. I'll drive the crap out of it and see where it takes me...

My wife wants a new Jeep and she won't mind IFS so ill just wait and see, Jeep hasn't let me down yet....!!

Albert

You do realize there are quite a few aftermarket manufacturers producing solid axles out there? dynatrac, teraflex, Solid Axle, currie and these are just off the top of my head.

I think you might be exaggerating a little here.

There are over 500,000 JKs getting around - every single one with a solid front and rear axle. That's just JKs.
I think junkyards will be well stocked for our lifetimes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler#JK_.282007.E2.80.93present.29

-Dan

i know there are companies out there that build axles but a couple thousand dollars per axle is not a doable option for the average person, and i'm not saying it will happen soon but what about in 60 years, we really don't know where the car market will really be, plus look at programs like cash for clunkers, how many axles, t-cases and other parts were destroyed in that deal, but thats a whole other argument

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz