My trick to find a generic part, without knowing the Make and Model

Garrett@Oscaro

I'm assuming most of you already know this, but I wanted to share this trick for finding a vehicle-specific part, which you need to re-purpose for your truck.

In this case, a friend of mine asked about replacing the hydraulic brake light switch on his '45 GPW with a contact switch. While this search should be easy, the performance market concentrates on hydraulic brake light switches rather than a push button switch. Then comes the bigger problem: there isn't much room in a flat fender to mount this switch, and most switches are 2-4" tall. This means that a universal part won't work, and very few replacement parts will fit. I need to find a specific switch from a car or truck which will fit. This becomes a challenge because most auto parts websites are setup to search by year/make/model or part number. Neither of these will help find the switch I need.

My solution: a Google image search.

Its easy to identify a part such as a brake light switch through a picture. And since most websites are search engine optimized, the pictures on a Google image search are going to link back to the part on the company's website. In this case, I was able to find a short brake light switch for a Hyundai Elantra which will easily fit on the brake pedal assembly of the old GPW.

Slide1.JPGSlide2.JPG

Hopefully this helps someone out next time your trying to replace a part on your Land Cruiser that doesn't quite work on a expedition rig.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I know everyone else here has a land cruiser, but I don't. So I guess I'll have to find another method.:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94