Diesel Waxing

Neil

Observer
I am looking to bring an overland truck to the North of the USA and Canada next year.
It will have two diesel tanks ( external ) .

My question for anyone local to these areas or has experience of cold temperatures is what is the best way to prevent diesel waxing in the tanks or the pipes.

I will need diesel for my cabin heating and pre heating the engine so "waxing u"p is a concern.

I have read about heater elements and additives but would love to hear from locals who deal with this problem all the time.

Thanks

Neil

Kent UK

plumber mike

Adventurer
Folks around here call it "gelling up" but I think your term is more accurate. In the winter they sell "winterized" or blended diesel, so gelling is not an issue......usually. Tank treatments are popular around here, but I think it has more to due with adding lubrication to the ulsd rather than gel protection. I use 2 stroke engine oil mixed with diesel to lubricate pumps and injectors

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
What kind of engine is it?
-
Many European diesels don't like our lower Cetane #'s in the winter. That would be my biggest concern. Deutz was the worst for this IIRC. I haven't seen any diesel gelling in my equipment. But it's mostly offroad diesel with special treatments. And, IMO, offroad fuel trucks deliver better fuel than gas stations. The fuel gets wet/dirty at the station, not in the delivery truck, and delivery trucks likely have nicer/newer filters. So my experience might be swayed a little optimisticly.

madmax718

Explorer
Easiest way to prevent gelling (waxing) was to add some kerosene into your diesel fuel. Dont' know if the new pumps like that. The other way is to use Diesel additive.

ARCTIC EXPRESS® DIESEL FUEL ANTIGEL

Neil

Observer
Thanks for all the information

Thanks folks

The vehicle is a 1988 Mercedes 1017A with an OM 352 engine .

As far as I know you can throw most fuels at it . as its 25 years old with no valve stem oil seals

Hope this helps

Neil

1stDeuce

Explorer
Winter blend diesel is all that's available in most northern states and canada for most of the winter. It's stable down close to zero without additives. If you accidentally fill with straight Diesel #2, then you'll have problems, but they can easily be overcome by some additive. I run Power Service in the white bottle in the winter, and have had no waxing problems even as cold as -25F. I accidentally filled a truck with straight #2 once, and didn't use any additive. After sitting through a zero degree night, the truck started de-powering and setting fuel filter lights in the morning. I limped to a gas station and bought some Diesel 911, which is also from PowerService. I added some to the tank and it fixed it almost immediately! (It was nothing short of amazing how fast it worked!) I carry a bottle in the winter now, but I've not had to use it since.
I don't think you'll have any problems if you're watchful to buy winter blend diesel, or even if you're not watchful, most likely!:)

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Neil, I think it's best to ask where you intend to travel and at what time of year.

Waxing point for #2 Diesel is around -8'C /17'F, I've not had issues down as low as 14'F with waxing/gelling. The main problem with my Ford truck is pre heating using the glow plugs. At 14'F I need to cycle them a couple of times to achieve a start.

There are lots of additives that lower the temperature at which diesel will gel, but there is a point at which nothing helps unless you have a pre heating system like an Espar. Almost all the commercial diesel trucks running in Canada run a diesel furnace to heat the coolant and the diesel fuel lines. Same for the Northern States in the US.

North American Ford diesels come stock with a 120v plug in block heater, this pre heats the coolant and oil, very nice feature, I have mine wired into an on board battery charger. The Fords also come with a 12 volt diesel heater located in the fuel bowl.

HINO SG

Adventurer
Many thousands of those motors (10's of thousands, probably) were sold here in the colder regions. Locally blended winter diesel should be adequate; add your own #1 diesel or kerosene (available almost anywhere) to be sure. 1# or K1 will not hurt the motor and only costs pennies more.

verdesardog

Explorer
I use diesel kleen from wallmart.....mixed 1:2, diesel kleen:2stroke oil, add 1 oz per gallon of fuel. Silver bottle diesel kleen in the summer, white bottle in the winter.

I had 2 injector failures before starting this and none since!

Last edited:

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Bad, bad idea to add alcohol to diesel! Use diesel additive made for this purpose or kerosene as has been said.

Kerosene is old school....the OP has a 1988 Mercedes so I would advise finding the OEM manual and see what that says.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles