Anyone running a TireGate?

TravelTacoma

Observer
I've recently gone from a 2010 Jeep Wrangler back to a Tacoma (2013 DC SB 4x4 TRD) and was looking at options that would get the spare out from under the bed. I looked at all of the traditional bumpers with spare tire carriers and don't like the weight or the thought of trimming sheet metal off of a new truck for the high clearance versions. Then I stumbled across the TireGate and liked the functionality of the mount, the weight savings over a traditional setup, and the ability to mount a Hi-Lift to the carrier as well. I have a Chaser that currently mounts my rooftop tent, but I'm thinking about fabricating a bed mount system so that I can run the tent over the bed periodically for when I don't feel like towing the trailer. The downside is that I can't run the tire in the bed because it will consume too much real estate. Does anyone have any experience with the product?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've recently gone from a 2010 Jeep Wrangler back to a Tacoma (2013 DC SB 4x4 TRD) and was looking at options that would get the spare out from under the bed. I looked at all of the traditional bumpers with spare tire carriers and don't like the weight or the thought of trimming sheet metal off of a new truck for the high clearance versions. Then I stumbled across the TireGate and liked the functionality of the mount, the weight savings over a traditional setup, and the ability to mount a Hi-Lift to the carrier as well. I have a Chaser that currently mounts my rooftop tent, but I'm thinking about fabricating a bed mount system so that I can run the tent over the bed periodically for when I don't feel like towing the trailer. The downside is that I can't run the tire in the bed because it will consume too much real estate. Does anyone have any experience with the product?

There's a guy named Ted who posts under the name Tbars, I believe, he ran a TireGate on both his Ranger and his Explorer for DE1 (Death Valley) and DEII (Moab) in 2011 and 2012 respectively (I assume it was the same unit - cool thing about the Tiregate is that you can switch it between vehicles.)

I admit I was skeptical about him hanging that much weight off of his receivers, but he had no problems that I know of.

He is pretty active on the Explorer/Ranger boards (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/) so you might try to PM him there.

I admit I've been thinking of going that route myself. My BFG MTs won't fit in the stock location and it wasn't until I got back from DEIII (where one of our guys got two flat tires in the space of 4 days) that I realized that my lug nuts might not have fit my (factory) spare, so it's a good thing I didn't get a flat. A tiregate would solve that problem completely.

The other nice thing about the Tiregate is that when you don't need it you can take it off and leave it in the garage - no extra weight or hassle, vs. a permanent mount on a new rear bumper.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Most 2" receivers are designed to carry 600lbs of tounge weight at a minimum. Does a spare and hi-lift weigh more than that??

There is a guy in our domestic fullsize section that runs one on his Dodge 2500 with a 4wheel camper. He loves it.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/59771-97-Dodge-Ram-2500-4x4-Cummins-Powered/page11

Not so much the static weight but think about the way a heavy spare is moving back and forth, left and right when you're on a rough trail, and all that weight is pivoting on that little 2" square connection, a connection that was never designed for that kind of twisting (and consider that the weight is mounted on a long arm that will act as a lever and increase the twisting force that is exerted on the hitch.) That's what would concern me but, as I said, Ted didn't seem to have any issues with it.

I would definitely check the gate for stress cracks before any long trips, though.

ExpoMike

I'm the guy with the Dodge linked above. I have been 110% satisfied with mine. It has not given me a single problem or limited any place I have traveled. We have done some fairly rough trails and tons of wash board roads. I locks into the receiver hitch with a "wedge" system that eliminates any movement in the receiver. I have even pulled a car hauler with a '65 C10 Panel truck on it. No worries whatsoever. It is one of the few things I never have to worry about.

PICT6180.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Glad to see the positive testimonials. That's always the best "proof."

They aren't cheap (looks like they start around $690, according to the web site) but that's probably less than half what you'd pay for a custom rear bumper with a swing-out. And unlike the custom bumper, you can remove this when you don't need it.

Another plus: When you change vehicles, you can take this to your next one.

I notice they also have some options as far as mounting other gear (fuel cans, hi-lift, etc.)

I may have to give this some serious consideration. I could see a lot of benfits here, among them, the option of carrying 2 spares (one in the stock location, one on the Tiregate.) Or, lose the tire in the stock location for a weight reduction and possibly an increase in departure angle.

ExpoMike

Yes, price is the biggest hang up. I was lucky and found mine on Craigslist for a really good price but after using it, if I had to pay full price, it is an items that is worth it. Very heavy duty (actually rated higher than my hitch). and works just as it should.

I made my own bracket and used an AT fuel can holder, for my needs. I already had the holder and the scrap metal.

PICT6217.jpg

PICT6218.jpg

TravelTacoma

Observer
Thanks for the great replies guys. It was especially nice to see the hitch mounted version as well. I am looking at the tailgate replacement model that will mount a hi-lift. After the positive comments and real-world experience posted I think I will go ahead and order one up. I'm trying to stay as close to stock as possible (I know, I know - It isn't going to happen, but I hope to initially begin that way!) and keep the weight down on the truck. As I noted before I wanted to avoid cutting sheet metal on the truck as well. Thanks again guys for the replies. I will post up pics and thoughts after the purchase to let you know my opinion on the product.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Thanks for the great replies guys. It was especially nice to see the hitch mounted version as well. I am looking at the tailgate replacement model that will mount a hi-lift.

Ah, well with the tailgate-replacement version, all my concerns would be moot: That one is supported on both sides (when closed) so it should easily be able to handle the weight and as much bouncing as your body can tolerate.

Yes, price is the biggest hang up. I was lucky and found mine on Craigslist for a really good price but after using it, if I had to pay full price, it is an items that is worth it. Very heavy duty (actually rated higher than my hitch). and works just as it should.

IMO the price isn't bad when you consider that a full replacement bumper with a swing out carrier would likely start at about $1200 and go up from there as you added options. To say nothing of the fact that you would then have to install it.

If you need a similar carrier and want to save money, CBI makes a drop-down carrier and I think it sells for under $300:

http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/produc...products/fold-down-tire-carrier-premium-model

Note: The above is for the "premium" tire carrier at $350, but I think they also make a "basic" carrier for under $300.

Of course, you will have to lift your tire up every time you access the tailgate, which means you'll either figure out how to get stuff from the back of your vehicle without opening the tailgate, or you'll develop GREAT upper body strength! :D

Another guy from our Desert Expedition group, Micheal (posts here under the name MJMCDOWELL) has the CBI rear tire carrier and it has worked great for him on his Ranger. He even scraped it a few times going up a steep and rocky trail and didn't damage it a bit - it're pretty stout!

I made my own bracket and used an AT fuel can holder, for my needs. I already had the holder and the scrap metal.

PICT6217.jpg

How does that attach to the can carrier? I can't tell from the picture. Does the can sit on top of that bracket or does it attach to the back somehow?

ExpoMike

How does that attach to the can carrier? I can't tell from the picture. Does the can sit on top of that bracket or does it attach to the back somehow?

The holder sits on top of that brack and I used SS button head bolts to fasten it. Works great and hasn't loosened a bit.

bob91yj

Resident **************
I took the Tire Gate idea and had my own made. Works great. Mine uses two receiver boxes rather than just the central factory hitch. It's a work in progress, I intend to add a second side to it to carry a fuel can and a basket.

2010baja1000005.jpg

2010baja1000003.jpg

Thats a 33" tire for the race Jeep in the stock location. Pic is from Baja 1000 prep a couple of years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles