1993 ford diesel questions

dvorocks

Adventurer
Going to look at most likely buy a 4x4 1993 ford cab and chasis with 11ft frame rails....
Truck only has 80k on it..anything particular I should keep in mind when I check it out...

Darwin

Explorer
Does it have a turbo? If not, you might want to think about adding one. Those trucks are a dog, and move up hills at the pace of volkswagon bus without one, loaded down even worse. Also, what coolant is used makes a difference since they can be prone to cavitation. Try oilburners forum for more info about those trucks. Cab and chassis trucks I assume are f350's so it should have the solid axle unlike the twin i beam 250's. The manuals are also a lot more heavy duty than the autos, I would assume its a manual.

ClayH

Adventurer
The 93 was pre powerstroke meaning no turbo. Banks makes one that you can add on but its a job. Non turboed it will still pull like a mule but it wont do it fast.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The 93 was pre powerstroke meaning no turbo. Banks makes one that you can add on but its a job. Non turboed it will still pull like a mule but it wont do it fast.

Factory turbos were added to idi 7.3s in late 93 and early 94. They were not as powerful as 94.5 Powerstroke engines, but way better than n/a 7.3s.

Everything else Darwin mentioned is spot on. They are a solid truck. Many prefer the simpler idi 7.3 to the PSD.

ClayH

Adventurer
Factory turbos were added to idi 7.3s in late 93 and early 94. They were not as powerful as 94.5 Powerstroke engines, but way better than n/a 7.3s.

Everything else Darwin mentioned is spot on. They are a solid truck. Many prefer the simpler idi 7.3 to the PSD.
I never heard of this late 93 thing. I knew 94s were turboed.

bfdiesel

Explorer
93-94 you could get either a NA or a factory turbo on the IDI. The motors are slightly different internally.

Sentinelist

Adventurer
I was (until this time last week) looking exclusively at 92-94 IDI quad-cab F-350s. From what research I did, yeah, you want the early '94 with the turbo or plan on adding the Banks kit to the NA. I didn't know about the late 93s having them, cool. I wasn't interested in the Powerstroke because I wanted a simpler mechanically-injected mill. These are supposed to be great trucks and I called on a couple of them before finding something else that ticked all the same checkboxes 30 min. from my house. Take the time it's worth to wait for the right one to come around.

Rot Box

Explorer
93-95's (although they are rare IDI's became an option in 95) had the optional turbo kit which is essentially a wastegated ATS 093. Not a bad setup imo. Any of the turbo kits early or late model (Banks, ATS, Hypermax, etc) are better than nothing if you need more power.

If it's healthy and in good shape I'd buy it and drive the wheels off of it. I've been around IDI's for awhile and there is very little that goes wrong with them aside from operator error and neglect. Like stated above sign onto Oilburners.net and have a look around. It's the best online resource for the IDI's and a great community at that. You could also check out the link in my signature. I've performed a few modifications to my IDI that were well worth the effort. Good luck and show us some pics if you do buy it :)

Andrew

http://www.conestogadiesel.com/products.html
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?34-6-9L-IH-amp-7-3L-IDI-Diesels
http://idiperformance.com

seanpistol

Explorer
I used to frequent oilburners in the early 2000s when I was driving around a '90 4x4. Man that was a good truck with the exception of the TTB and the E4OD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier