Hello, meet Elsie.

hairy_apple

Adventurer
Hello,
I just thought I would introduce myself and my truck. Been looking at this site for quite a while and finally decided I should post.

My dad had an FJ40 when he was my age, and although he sold it before I was born, my family has always had 4x4s and we've always loved to explore dirt roads. My whole life I remember more then anything else all the fun camping trips and off road adventures we had..so when I was in HS looking for a car... I knew pretty quickly I wanted to continue.

I have owned Elsie since I was 16, she was my first car. Bone stock 3 on the tree and it was love at first sight. I had been wanting a 4x4 pretty bad, and had pretty much narrowed it down to wanting a FJ40 and was gong to start searching for one when Elsie found me... not more then a week after seeing a pretty FJ40 and having to own one I saw a bright orange FJ40 at my neighbors house, moving his trailers around. So I walked over and asked if he would sell it, he wouldn't... but I told him if he did I wanted it and to please call me first.

A few months went by and that summer I worked for him quite a bit, doing odd jobs that a 16 year does on summer break, and I was sure to go "visit" the cruiser which was now parked in his back lot never being touched (guy collects cars and has about 20 at any given time). Finally one day he called me and asked if I was still interested in it and I said yeah, so two days later I had my cruiser!

elsie1stday2_zps0bd05f98.jpg

The day I brought it home... notice, I've already found mud with it. :)

I drove her stock all though high school and college and even drove her up to Oregon once.. which was the best road trip I've ever been on.

When I bought her I had bought her to explore dirt roads, to go places most people didn't. I had plans for an on board shower, use an RV tank to hold water for long camping trips, lots of stuff like that. However... as a young guy who's friends were all into rockcrawling, that became what I wanted my cruiser to be. A did a spring over and power steering and a year after that the 6 started knocking so I got a V8 and SM420. In the last 12 years I've done the Rubicon countless time, done Fordyce and all that stuff, the cruiser is awesome.

63254_4759359386819_365258827_n_zps93cedd2f.jpg

_DSC0966_zps615134de.jpg

This is how Elsie looked a year ago. :) Finally.. after 11 years I had the cruiser I wanted... 11 years ago... not so much anymore. Now, my tastes and my ideas of what I want in a 4x4 have changed a lot. Although I still enjoy rockcrawling and wheeling, I am feeling the urge to put some miles between me and home and really use the cruiser for what I bought it for originally. Also, there is a bit of sentimental concern for the safety of my favorite thing I own... I almost rolled it on our last trip.. and it upset me. Maybe it's time to retire Elsie from the tough stuff and use her for dirt road exploring and back to what I really enjoy the most, exploring the Sierras.

Also, I found I really loved the original color, the dash and inside of the doors were still Spring green, so this year I got brave enough to remove the "OSHA" orange paint, and paint it closer to the original color.

1380211_10201199417932435_797799888_n_zps8b2ae7bc.jpg

And this is Elsie this week! Whole new look and feel. The big stuff is going to come this winter hopefully.. I am going to swap out the V8 and put a 2F with a 3FE head in it and a Toyota 5 speed. Going to get that Chevy junk out and make her all Toyota again. Truthfully, I've never been very happy with the V8 and it's been running bad off and on the last two years and I'm tired of it and want the torque of the 6 back but also want fuel injection. 5 speed to be able to put some road miles on her without being deaf from the engine screaming when we get there, and a little better MPG (not that it really is ever going to be good in a square box).

Also, I am finally starting to think about some of the more useful mods for what I want to turn her into. I am going to build a roof rack soon, two people and a dog and camping gear gets pretty cramped pretty fast. Going to find that RV tank so I can carry water under the cruiser. Been looking at heat exchangers as well for a shower.

But most importantly, have our first long trip planned. Going to go to Death Valley for the first time ever next spring and I'm bringing the 40. Really excited. :)

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and my truck and say hi, this is a sweet site and I'm getting really inspired to start doing some real travel in my 40.

JohnnyS

Explorer
Welcome!!
Looking forward to following your build, I'm planning on putting a 3FE head on the 2F in our 40 as well...hmmm an H55 would be so cool!
I've had one of Dave Gore's (4+plus) tire carriers on both of my 40s & they are really helpful in creating more space to carry/lash stuff.
Elsie looks way better in Spring Green than Orange! :coffeedrink:12-12-11 012.jpg

Last edited:

hairy_apple

Adventurer
Thanks. I will post up here as I start the 2FE/H55 conversion. It will be a while before I really get started, but I'm really wanting that 5 speed before out trip in the spring... an overdrive would be very nice for a 8 hour drive. I need to make sure I can get it done if I start though.

I am looking into building something like the 4+ bumper, I will be building my own though as I have the skills to do so. I've tried very hard to do everything to my cruiser that I can. It makes it more... mine. :)

Also looking at adding the 28 gallon saddle tank from Man a Fre as it will give me more fuel, but I'll be able to add water to the rear where the aux tank normally goes.

I LOVE the green... it was a scary thing for me to do.. it had been orange for the whole time I owned it. But I am sooooo happy with how it came out. Only had one person like the orange better, but he likes little "tuner" cars so he's got bad taste and I normally do the exact opposite of what he thinks is cool.

Life is better with a 40. :)

JohnnyS

Explorer
Thanks. I will post up here as I start the 2FE/H55 conversion. It will be a while before I really get started, but I'm really wanting that 5 speed before out trip in the spring... an overdrive would be very nice for a 8 hour drive. I need to make sure I can get it done if I start though.

I am looking into building something like the 4+ bumper, I will be building my own though as I have the skills to do so. I've tried very hard to do everything to my cruiser that I can. It makes it more... mine. :)

Also looking at adding the 28 gallon saddle tank from Man a Fre as it will give me more fuel, but I'll be able to add water to the rear where the aux tank normally goes.

I LOVE the green... it was a scary thing for me to do.. it had been orange for the whole time I owned it. But I am sooooo happy with how it came out. Only had one person like the orange better, but he likes little "tuner" cars so he's got bad taste and I normally do the exact opposite of what he thinks is cool.
Life is better with a 40. :)

I had a Man-a-fre (Long Ranger) saddle tank in my '76 & it was the worst mod I ever did.
Albeit mine was one of the first ones brought into the country & they may have made changes by now (it was '98 or '99 when I installed it).
My main complaint was lack of venting, if I didn't run an extremely vented gas cap it would blow fuel into the engine compartment (a wee bit risky), with a vented gas cap fuel would leak fuel all over the side of the rig when off camber; I got very good at always parking somewhere level.
Another minor issue were the mounting straps, they would rattle/vibrate unless I had some kind of wedge between them & the tank (cardboard or a piece of wood...ghetto).
If I could go back I would have never installed it, carrying extra fuel in jerry cans doesn't seem so bad in retrospect.
Although it seems stupid now I think that tank is one of the reasons I sold my '76 (10/76 production, first month for 4 speed, discs, etc...), one of the dumbest things I've ever done.
Oh well, live & learn :)

At least I have the '79 now, and I've found a clean/unmolested '78 that (fingers crossed) will hopefully be coming home in the next few weeks... I wish it was Spring Green though!!

You said it best, "Life is better with a 40". :sombrero:

hairy_apple

Adventurer
I've read that they have some venting issues, however I've always read some solutions... hum. Maybe I will have to do some more research, that's a lot of money to spend on something if it doesn't work well. I've just always liked the idea of having that rear area open for either a small RV water tank or storage of some kind.

JohnnyS

Explorer
I've read that they have some venting issues, however I've always read some solutions... hum. Maybe I will have to do some more research, that's a lot of money to spend on something if it doesn't work well. I've just always liked the idea of having that rear area open for either a small RV water tank or storage of some kind.

I've been obsessing about a stainless steel water storage tank underneath, in the standard auxiliary tank location. Maybe run air to it so it would pressurized...hmmm.

Danimal

Adventurer
I've been obsessing about a stainless steel water storage tank underneath, in the standard auxiliary tank location. Maybe run air to it so it would pressurized...hmmm.

Not a bad idea! But seems you'd want a bladder or something. Wouldn't want stinky air from my on board compressor coming in contact with my potable water supply.

Dan

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Welcome! Nice 40. I'm interested in how your 2FE/H55 coversion turns out.

My life needs a 40!

hairy_apple

Adventurer
I may end up putting off the 2FE/H55 conversion until next year.. I had been hoping to get it done this winter, but I don't want to risk not getting it done in time for our Death Valley trip in April. I've been collecting parts, scored a killer 2F for the conversion. 89K on it. I pulled the head off and there is no lip on the cylinder walls and still cross hatching. It looked brand new. I am still hunting for a split case for it. I ended up putting the money I was going to spend on my cruiser into a plasma table instead, hoping that my wife and I can make a small business with it, not have to have real jobs.. and have more time for camping. :) Until I get it up and running and actually start making some money, I may have to put off the swap.. we'll see. If I can find the split case in the next month or so, I might still get it done in time to work out any bugs before our trip.

Right now the big thing is storage! We're working on some ideas to make the cruiser work better for long distance trips. Two people and a dog and camping gear is going to be pretty tight in there and we're working on some cool FJ40 storage ideas. Nothing mind blowing, but just lots of small ideas that hopefully add up into a lot more storage room and the ability to sleep in it if it gets windy in the desert. My wife and I got married at Sand Mt Nevada and we spend a lot of time there... we are no strangers to how nasty the desert can get in the springtime.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Great post, I dig your 40 a lot. It looks great in green, and I can feel your pain. I have driven my 40 daily for lever 14 years... it's become an extension of me and a part of our family.

Storage and milege are two things that every 40 owner needs to "make peace with." They'll never be great on gas or roomy enough to live in. In my case, I have a well tuned 2F and 4 speed, with a clean carb and lots of tuning, I can get 12-16mpg pretty consistently with 4.11s and 35's. Storage for us is two fold, I use a lot of pelican cases when running topless and heading out solo or just one other person. But I built an off road camping trailer that has greatly increased our comfort when camping with the family. Here is a thread on storage solutions for the fj40 I started a long time ago... Maybe it'll give you a few new ideas.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/69311-FJ40-Storage-solutions-Post-up-your-pics

And if you want to go all out and enjoy your camping with a queen sized bed and the kitchen sink, then it's time to build one of these like I did... :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 54

hairy_apple

Adventurer
Thanks, I saw your trailer build on 'mud and have been obsessed with the idea of building a trailer for the last few months because of it and a few others! I am going to build one, it's just a matter of too many projects going on right now to really get started on another massive project. Once I have a few things out of the way I fully intend to build a sweet camping trailer to pull behind the 40. I love you're 40 and you're trailer. Very cool.

hairy_apple

Adventurer
Elsie's sisters.

1012352_10200489346581095_903890503_n_zpsc98756e5.jpg

BUCKET-1.jpg

Both are 1973. Blue one I want to restore 100% stock and pretty for a weekend driver. Rusty/chopped one is going to get the 350/SM420 when it comes out of Elsie. Going to get build into a nice wheeler that I don't care about damaging. :)

And a few more pictures of Elsie doing what she does best...

66983_10200933348400863_1736263921_n_zps0cd02fec.jpg

1240501_10200933359681145_1009750914_n_zps6c6cbc01.jpg

970714_10200933346800823_1818809369_n_zps20627e11.jpg

The red pickup in the background is my wife's. We really like Toyota 4x4s. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94