Your favorite backpacking / ADV moto meals?

Scott Brady

Founder
So, I am faced with nearly of month in Antarctica and eating frozen or backpacking meals for almost all of it. Looking for a little variety and some off-the-wall ideas.

What is your favorite backpacking meal? It can be prepackaged or something you make, or a combination of ingredients, etc.

I do find the original food options used 100 years ago in Antarctica pretty interesting: http://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarctica fact file/science/food2.htm

Stewed Penguins and Champaign? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17371543

_59302374_scott_birthday_highres464.jpg

digitaldelay

Explorer
I usually stick with Backpacker's Pantry for the prepackaged stuff. Just watch the sodium on those, some can be quite high.

Are you using the JetBoil system again (like in '07)?

Jason

Scott Brady

Founder
I usually stick with Backpacker's Pantry for the prepackaged stuff. Just watch the sodium on those, some can be quite high.

Are you using the JetBoil system again (like in '07)?

We are using a JetBoil and three white gas stoves.

A friend of mine recommend Steve's Paleokit. This will be good for mixing in with the other meals.
http://www.stevespaleogoods.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Orig-PK
ORIG-PK-2T.jpg

We are also going to bring a bunch of these Epic bars. The bison/bacon rocks
http://www.epicbar.com/
BisonBar.jpg

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I like Mountain House. Again, watch the sodium. Otherwise, all their food is quite good. (One of my favorites is the Seafood Chowder!)

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
This is one of our favorite road foods. Won't clog your arteries, elevate your blood pressure, or constipate you either...

Hilldweller's vegan Power Muffins

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup demerara sugar
2 scoops plain protein powder
4 scoops ground flax
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon powdered egg substitute
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup high protein almond milk
1 orange
1 small banana
small piece orange peel
pumpkin pie spice
dash of vanilla extract

preheat oven to 375.
blend almond milk, orange, banana, orange peel, & vanilla together furiously and set aside.
whisk dry ingredients together.
heat up muffin tins briefly and then spray with Pam.
mix dry and wet ingredients until barely mixed. Fill muffin tins and bake for 30 minutes.
eat

You can add a few crushed walnuts or craisins or something if you want.

madmax718

Explorer
rice with egg, spam and ketchup.
ramen and spam.
Biscuits and saussage gravy.
Sourdough bread and butter
Pretty much everything can be cooked in a dutch oven. Some a little harder in a jetboil. You can do it in a white gas stove, just have to watch the hot spots.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Scott go to the mall and buy one of meat, cheese gift assortments from Swiss Colony. There is everything from jelly to mustard in those things and you can always trade your gourmet mustard or small spicy sausage to somebody. They will fight after some of the weird stuff in there after a few days. Different cheese and meat will be nice and most of it is small enough to eat at one serving. High energy, compact, yummy and good to make friends with. Here is a big one but they have assortments for every taste and "Tis the season to be jolly". http://www.swisscolony.com/Gifts/Fo...avorites.pro?fpi=39712&catCd=AW&prefixCode=AW
Pack an orange as well. They keep well and a fresh fruit is a big treat after few days without.

Scott Brady

Founder
Great suggestions all! We have decided to have a 50/50 mix of backpacking food for weight and volume, then 50% canned, fresh and frozen for the rest.

Thanks!

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Besides the already mentioned things:
fresh eggs in a hard case that don't need refrigeration (maybe bring a potato to go with it)
fresh caught fish and rice (pack a small pole)
pb&j
dry salami
hard cheese or baby bels
chips
mac n cheese (just add water kind)
canned chili

That's enough for an adv moto weekend IF you're not planning to be near civilization. If I'm near a town, I'll cruise in to eat meals since I save so much gas money.

maytag

Favorite first night meal for backpacking: Cornish Game Hen

At home, thaw out the game hen (one per person at least), clean it, rub it with olive oil or butter inside and out. Coat with seasoning and stuff with herbs, then wrap it in heavy foil, and heavy saran wrap (or vacuum seal). Freeze solid.

When you get to the trail head, take the frozen birds out of the cooler and wrap in clothing or other insulating items and stow in your pack.

When you get to your campsite, make a fire, get a good bed of coals and after taking the plastic off the birds toss them near the coals. Turn repeatedly. Depending on how much they thawed they might cook really slow. Don't cook them too fast. When done, enjoy feasting on your own bird.

Save the carcasses and any parts you don't eat, cram it into a pot and fill with water. Boil, then simmer for a few hours. Pull all of the bones out of the pot and store the broth overnight. In the morning, bring back up to a boil, throw in a packet of Manischewitz soup mix and some skunk cabbage (everywhere near water in the NW) and you have a hot and filling breakfast.

Also, make bread on a stick..

Put these 3 ingredients in a gallon size heavy duty plastic bag.

1 package active dry or rapid rise yeast (2¼ tsp yeast)
4⅓ cups flour
2 tsp kosher salt

When you are about to start hiking, add the water

2 cups water

Mix all of the ingredients in the bag by squishing it around, then place under your shirt to keep warm while you hike.

Burp the bag every once in a while so the bag doesn't pop.

When the fire is ready at the campsite, take the dough out of the bag, roll it into a snake, wrap it around a clean stick, and cook it over the fire.

Enjoy!

Corey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior