Keeping the Wrangler alive

NMBruce

Adventurer
The writing is on the wall, Jeep & the Wrangler have to become more fuel efficient no matter what we think.

Jeep is looking at a small Jeep to help overall MPG.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/116565-2015-Jeepster-speculation

Jeep is looking at a
IFS & IRS for the next Wrangler
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/118076-Really-Independent-Suspension-******
http://www.expeditionportal.com/news/2524-2016-jk-may-not-roll-on-solid-axles.html

So what is Jeep to do to get to the 2016 MPG standards? There is a big jump
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-automakers-will-meet-2016-cafe-standards

Many people say they don't want Jeep to change the Wrangler, but how many would pay the extra cost if Jeep has to charge a gas guzzler tax on all new Wranglers?

Right now, with my 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 3.73 gears and 5speed auto, I avg 18.6 mpg overall, with 16-17 around town and 19-22 on the road. After adding a 2.5" MetalCloak lift, the MPG has not been affected, but I don't have bigger tires or heavier bumpers. At this MPG, I am doing better than most, but not close to the CAFE standards for a 2013 car or truck.

So would a;
1) 8 speed transmission help? Keeping the engine at lower RPM when going down the highway, but would it still be enough to keep the Wrangler moving with it brick shape.
2) diesel? More torque for off road, better MPG (maybe not as good as Europe's diesels)
3) both above added together, but I am sure Jeep has looked at this, and I am sure a lot of people have no desire to own an oil burner?
4) body work changes, they are coming, it takes fuel to move a brick through the air. I see the front grill and windshield getting raked back. As for the fold down front window, great idea, but I bet it is a very small percentage of people who would ever put it down, say goodby. Outside mirrors getting smaller or re-shaped, every little bit helps. Fenders, do they get added into the body, to clean up the lines? What about the back of the Wrangler, no idea here?
5) what about keeping the solid axles and adding a skid plate setup to move the air under the Jeep move efficiently?
6) taller skinnier, less rolling resistance tires ? Why not, a large number of people change them out right after getting their Wrangler and we are just talking about Jeep MPG, not yours.

I would guess Jeep is looking at a lot of ideas, but What's you idea to help Jeep get to 2016 CAFE standards?????

I would like to see the Wrangler change a little if it has to change, but I think what you see today is gone. Will the new Wrangler be worst? Or better? I don't know. I am 99% sure that many will say it's not really a Jeep/Wrangler anymore, just like the CJ group said about the YJ (real Jeeps have round headlights), and so on.

I will keep an open mind and what to see what Jeep comes up with. My 2013 is 7 months old and has 16000 miles on it, I would love to see 30 mpg on the highway, but I want to be able to go off the beaten path and see a different part of America. My Jeep today, let's me do that, so time will tell.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
The shape has to change some. The almost flat windshield and grill have to get slanted for sure. Maybe locking hubs to keep the front driveline from spinning while driving?

IFS will happen at some point. Wrangler is a big seller but lets be real, most of your buyers do not use the Wrangler enough off road to need the benefits of solid axles over IFS. I would argue a decent amount of guys who go "off road" don't need solid axles either. All that is left is the few who do need them and Jeep isn't going to market to the few

Sent from S3

SamM

Adventurer
Just buy one before they get neutered in 2016. My new JK Sahara MOAB Edition gets 22mpg on the highway. Not great but good enough for me. I wanted a capable vehicle and pulled the trigger on the MOAB. I love it!

Modern vehicles have become pigs. I would have been happier with roll up windows, manual locking hubs, no carpet and without all the electronics. The heated leather seats, UConnect, SAT Radio and all toys won me over. We are spoiled and like the toys. This makes vehicles heavy and less efficient. Unless Jeep goes with an ultra efficient diesel engine, I don't see the Wrangler surviving. A 4-cylinder diesel with maybe the 8-speed auto trans might help it survive a few more years.

SamM

evilfij

Explorer
2.0-2.5 liter diesel, 6 speed manual, make all the panels aluminium, change the frame to a lightweight box section.

Of course then you would have a defender. ;)

haven

Expedition Leader
Remember that a 34 mpg CAFE standard translates into about 26 mpg combined on the Mulroney window sticker. (NHTSA and EPA calculate the official mpg estimates in different ways.). Tests of pre-production 2014 Grand Cherokees with 3.0L diesel and 8 speed auto transmission report 26 mpg in combined driving.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1303_2014_jeep_grand_cherokee_ecodiesel_first_test/

So there's hope that the Wrangler could increase its mpg, which stands at 18 mpg combined today, substantially, and without a major redesign. Unfortunately, the v6 diesel adds about $4500 to the price of the Grand Cherokee.

Grasslakeron

Explorer
I have personally toasted more ifs setups then solid axles. There are reasons I dont own pickups anymore because if ifs. With the state of most roads where I live, on road is off road and off road is extreme. Nominal time to failure on ifs is ten years. I have three budies who work at the different big three tech centers and I toured Toyota's a few years ago. Ten years is not long enough. Not at 30-40k when new. My jeep is 8 years old an just capable as day one. You can show me videos at moab or rubicon trails with ifs but show me that same vehicle after 10 years do the same trail.....none of my trucks could even as good as I was at upkeep.

Ron

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
I have personally toasted more ifs setups then solid axles. There are reasons I dont own pickups anymore because if ifs. With the state of most roads where I live, on road is off road and off road is extreme. Nominal time to failure on ifs is ten years. I have three budies who work at the different big three tech centers and I toured Toyota's a few years ago. Ten years is not long enough. Not at 30-40k when new. My jeep is 8 years old an just capable as day one. You can show me videos at moab or rubicon trails with ifs but show me that same vehicle after 10 years do the same trail.....none of my trucks could even as good as I was at upkeep.

Ron

Thats great and all but like I said people like you and I are the minority of the current wrangler buyers. Really you are even more of minority as most people don't plan to keep a car 10 years. Jeep will do that they have to, to keep the wrangler and the larger market happy. That includes power options, smooth ride and good gas mpg and a decent off road capability as most buyers today are not going for the rock crawler

Sent from S3

njjeepthing

Explorer
Right now, with my 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 3.73 gears and 5speed auto, I avg 18.6 mpg overall, with 16-17 around town and 19-22 on the road. After adding a 2.5" MetalCloak lift, the MPG has not been affected, but I don't have bigger tires or heavier bumpers. At this MPG, I am doing better than most, but not close to the CAFE standards for a 2013 car or truck.

If you have a Rubicon you should have the 4:10 gears, unless you changed them to 3:73? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

SquareLJ

Observer
I almost don't even care. New Jeeps are extremely over-priced as it is. All of these changes are bound to bump the price even higher. A diesel option would seriously help and Americans need to get over this anti-diesel attitude.

Judoka

Learning To Live
As stated above, just buy one before 2016. I got lifetime warrantees on mine. Who cares what the "new ones" may look like in 10 years? Mine will always be in style!

SamM

Adventurer
Judoka,
I got the Lifetime Warranty also. No plans to modify mine, as I like my MOAB as is. Money well spent.

Again, guys just buy one now and get the extended Lifetime Warranty. Forget about diesel engines and all that. The 3.6L is awesome and 300hp is doable with a MOPAR cold air intake. Just go get one!

SamM

madmax718

Explorer
there's I believe a technical way to seperate it apart, and thats to take the jeep wrangler and just turn it into the "Wrangler" company. they might be able to skirt the production numbers.. maybe.

apart from that, the base model should have a angled back soft top- good for 1 mpg or so- Full under body plastic panels (for aero). Front very low aero lip (easily removed). aero side steps (easily removed). Basically get the damn thing to get to 26mpg, and make everything else a "dealer option".

Grasslakeron

Explorer
Thats great and all but like I said people like you and I are the minority of the current wrangler buyers. Really you are even more of minority as most people don't plan to keep a car 10 years. Jeep will do that they have to, to keep the wrangler and the larger market happy. That includes power options, smooth ride and good gas mpg and a decent off road capability as most buyers today are not going for the rock crawler

Sent from S3

The sad part is we will go quietly into the night. I will drive down and drive my jeep on top over their trunks if that would keep the jeep a jeep. Over the past two decades folks have let some much go without a whimper. ...I guess I have lived long enough to be anachronistic.

Ron

Arktikos

Explorer
I have personally toasted more ifs setups then solid axles. There are reasons I dont own pickups anymore because if ifs. With the state of most roads where I live, on road is off road and off road is extreme. Nominal time to failure on ifs is ten years. I have three budies who work at the different big three tech centers and I toured Toyota's a few years ago. Ten years is not long enough. Ron

What kind of roads are you talking about, (perhaps share a photo) and what do you mean by IFS failure? In other words, what components other than the obvious ones such as TREs, bushings, etc. fail and are irreplaceable, or cost prohibitive to replace?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne