Freightliner ambulance conversion project.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Wahoo the other set of rims/tires just arrived. Now comes the hernia trying to fit them in. Looks like some sawzall engineering will be required.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416938603.660360.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416938617.993383.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Tires are the same height but 3 1/2 inches wider. More importantly for me they are serviceable without a big tire changing machine. The alloys had mean it worried what would happen when I let the local tire guys loose with big tire irons and hammers.

RKOPLAN

I'm super excited to hear how that thing does off road. Are you adding a winch bumper on it for those omg moments?

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I'm super excited to hear how that thing does off road. Are you adding a winch bumper on it for those omg moments?

Not looking at too much offroad, planning on it being an "all roads" vehicle. No winch (too big for a normal 12v winch) but I did order a 30' x 1 1/2" kinetic tow rope for those moments. Also a few either Maxtrax or sand ladders for the soft stuff.

RKOPLAN

The 4x4 freightliner carry a big premium over the 4x2. I have been keeping an eye on the market just for information as I'm not close to buying one yet. My wife and I have traveled to remote areas like Patagonia, Chile and have rented 4x4 campers (pickup with slide in) and have only really needed once or twice. But I tend to think that with a well layed out truck with good tires we would have been ok with 4x2. I have no intention of going wheeling with a 10 ton truck either, but I want to learn from people like yourself what is needed vs what there just to look cool.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
2WD with plenty of clearance, plenty of tire floatation, good turning circle and a locking diff can go a lot of places. If you find that you need a nimble 4wd to see something get a local to take you there.

Now I have finally put 1 of the tires on. They fit on the front with a little boring of the lug holes (21.5 mm to 25mm). It looks like it will just nip on the springs at full lock so a steering bumpstop massage is needed. No hope in fitting them to the back until I get the plasma out to do some redneck panel work.

Bummer is that boring out 1 wheel has cost me a battery drill. The bit got stuck in the chuck and I cannot get it out.

Yeah I know this thread is useless without pictures.

Ambo 2 wheels.jpg

Ambo full lock right.jpg

Ambo full lock right.jpgAmbo full lock left.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
This is more for record keeping and helping those searching for Cummins oil pressure problems.

I have been having an ongoing intermittent check engine light. After getting a couple of tools to run diagnostics it came down to oil pressure low. Now my truck has a good old manual gauge so I could confirm there was nothing wrong with the oil pressure so it was just the feed that the ECM was seeing. Not a big deal I thought. New sender and check the wiring and I am all sorted. But Cummins threw a wrench into the works. It seems like the old sensor/sensor ( cummins 3408428 ) is now replaced by a switch ( 4076930 ) and a wiring harness ( 3164755 ) and it needs an ECM re flash to work. It also turns the variable reading into a set 55psi effectively creating a dummy gauge.

After being unable to purchase the old sensor I figured Cummins probably had good reason to make the change so I would take the hit I the wallet and get the dealers service guys to swap it out and reflag the ECM. Go into the service writer and he says " I can book it in. 1st opening is Monday sometime (this is Friday morning and they are a 24 hour service center) and the truck has to stay here or you lose your spot. Yeah that's not gonna happen.

Checked with Cummins and and they take booking. Wed evening 6PM and they may not get to it until Friday. Yeah not exactly ideal as we are heading to Mexico on the 27th.

Some some more google analysis I found a couple of possible alternatives. 1 was an International part number and when I checked it out it would require rewiring. The other ( Cummins 4921511 ) has been superseded a number of times ( 4326849 ) is a straight replacement and does work.

So to summarize for the inter web searches. Cummins ISB 24v
Oil pressure sender sensor 3408428 can be directly replaced with a 4921511 or 4326849 sensor directly from Cummins. At least it worked OK I my 1999 Freightliner.

Last edited:

rlrenz

Explorer
Good news. Any time I can avoid the Freightliner shop, I like it. Their parts prices are pretty good once they get to know you, but the shop must figure that I'm willing to sponsor their monthly 401 contribution. Congratulations on your research paying off!

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Not that I will ever need it but thanks for sharing.

Where are you guys headed?

Mexico somewhere. Either Copper Canyon or Baja. Depends on what the weather looks like for the guys on motorcycles who will be in a tent.

We have a start date and an end date and nothing else planned.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Bigger wheels on.

Some more sawzall engineering and the rear 14.5 x 43 (365/80R20) tires are on and with enough clearance to get by for now. Too dark for decent photos but here is one to wet the appetites.

Ambo bigger wheels.jpg

tgreening

Expedition Leader
There is no way on earth I could NOT stuff a drive axle under that front end. Like dangling a donut in front of a diabetic, sooner or later it's gonna happen. :punk03:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
It will only go 4wd if I can keep the 45 degree turn angle. Being able to negotiate switchbacks and little market roads is more important to me than getting traction at the front wheels. Aiming for all road not off road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz