Freightliner ambulance conversion project.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I'm all for manuals, but that's just me . . . I'm primitive. ;-)

DirtTrackTravelers.com

Thats where I am torn. I like the simplicity of a manual but I am a lazy bugger and like driving auto's now.

Red I will keep that spicer in mind. But I think I would prefer a few more gears.

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
Just quit driving them where you have to shift so much ;-)

I just had an E40D in "limp mode" for a month (well a year, but I didn't drive it and took off in my primitive truck) before I tracked it down to corrosion on an electrical relay. I was like, . . . what!!!

Worst comes to worst I can can come down and drag your rig up to the Expo. ;-) Worked for Pablo & Anna last year. :-D

DirtTrackTravelers.com

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Thats where I am torn. I like the simplicity of a manual but I am a lazy bugger and like driving auto's now.

Red I will keep that spicer in mind. But I think I would prefer a few more gears.

Agreed, auto's are nice when they are working, cost to fix them sucks.

What is the overdrive ratio of your current transmission, and do you want more of an overdrive or happy with that ratio? Reason I ask is that info will help with the search for a replacement transmission if you decide to swap. Most medium duty trucks are around a .8:1

The twin countershaft manual transmissions that Eaton Fuller make are wide and very heavy. If there is anything mounted between your transmission and the frame rails you will have to move it. Your truck has the standard 34" width frame rails so the transmission will fit in there. Strength wise you would never have to worry about damaging the transmission and the final gear ratio varies from 1:1-.65:1 depending on which model you go with.

DzlToy

Explorer
What Allison is in the truck now? I presume this is the original trans?

Try Dave Killackey – Performance Allison in Asuza, CA, though depending on what model you have, he may or may not be able to assist.

NOIBN

Observer
Bugger!!! All that effort and no change. Still not getting 4th gear. :(

Time to sit back and take stock of my options.
  1. Reman installed $4500 - $5000
  2. 2nd hand from RV. Will need to change bell housing and add brake plus I would have to swap it out.
  3. Pull this one and rebuild. I can do it but I really dont have the time or the inclination.
  4. Swap in a 10 speed or 13 speed manual box. Time effort $

Decision, decisions, decisions

Man, that sucks. Just offering an unsolicited opinion, but you've seen my truck so you know I'm no stranger to converting a drivetrain to something better. I also have a manual transmission in everything I own and drive, including my tractor at work. Will all that being said, I don't think you could do much better than having your trans rebuilt. I know it is the least glamorous and least "expo" of the choices, but I think it is difficult to beat considering all of the options. By the time you consider all of the parts necessary to swap in a manual trans, including time to research all necessary components, acquisition time in big truck wrecking yards etc, cost of all said parts, time fitting all parts to your truck, finding you got some one year only part off of the donor vehicle that doesn't fit yours (this would happen to me, so I'm including it in the list), time acquiring replacement parts for your wrecking yard parts--clutches, possible flywheel, linkage ends, shifter bushings, bearings et.al., possible driveline adaptations and so on, vs drop off your truck and pick it up with a fresh trans that you quietly admit to enjoying driving. Price not withstanding, that is a tough solution to pass up. The option of a used trans from a motor home is a double edged sword. On one hand the MHC market will have some of the lowest mileage units out there as these vehicles often sit for many/most months of the year (which is both good and bad), but at the same time, they are oftentimes the most abused units on the planet. Load up the vehicle in the back yard, crank it up and drive it one mile to the freeway and put it to the floor with no mechanical sympathy pulling Sunset Hill and 17 mile hill just on the way to Flagstaff. It's a roll of the dice. You may get a warranty on it so you'll only have to pull it out and take it back and get another possible good unit to reinstall. I don't do well with options like that, but price being a consideration, it is a second best in my opinion. I would probably lean toward building it yourself before using a MHC unit, but who knows, your luck may be much better than mine making it a more viable option for you.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I agree with noibn. Having an Allison dealer put one in will probably be the cheapest both in time and money. Medium duty drivetrain swaps can get expensive real quick.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
My take. I got tired of rowing gears a couple decades ago so I'm all for a good auto, and I agree with the rebuilding what you got likely being the least painful and time consuming course. The only place I'd differ, and this depends on if you plan to do your own grunt work, is how I'd go about it. I'd go to the salvage yard and find a rebuildable core of your current transmission, have that rebuilt, and then swap them out. It'll cost you the price of the core in extra funds but you can still drive your rig in the meantime if needed, instead of twiddling fingers waiting on the rebuilder to finish.

And while you're at it in that salvage yard you can be sourcing a compatible front axle and transfer case. :D

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Like these ones I have been checking out. The bugger is the rust fund will not cover a new tranny and a set of axles with transfer case.

cddcc0f07f4afc3b87bfca0c01a6fa03.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Chased down some other pricing. Looks like I can get a reman unit with 2 year unlimited miles warranty for around $3300 (pickup in Tuscon). I do have a line on a used low miles motorhome version with a retarder. Very tempting but time is against me. If I go with the retarder version I would have to get the TCM reprogrammed and get a longer driveshaft. It would be cheaper but I just don't have the time to bugger about with it.

Either way I will have to remove/replace myself. So looks like a few days of cursing, swearing and busted knuckles ahead of me. Probably drop the box this weekend and fit it back up the following weekend. Just to ease the pain levels.

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Hi Oz,

I wanted to thank you for the great, detailed progress report. You inspired us to join ExpeditionPortal. We live up the hill, in Flag, and just purchased an FL60 also. Road trip starts in 6 days...

It looks like you found the perfect sofa bed and we'll probably follow your lead on that, and several other things you've done. Thanks for paving the way!

Ross and Kara Taylor

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
While waiting on a replacement Tranny I am working on a few items on the punch list. Managed to put a rack on the roof using stainless unistrut and mounted a Fiamma F45 awning. I do need to replace a couple of rivnuts that didn't set properly but it's basically finished. Took all day hence the night photo.

18939266ef068f7b34e77279d9764b9b.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Also finally got the bunk bed sorted. This is for my grand daughter to travel with us. For normal use it is where we store our bedding. When required we will drop it down and place the supports and send the kiddo upstairs.

Luckily I had some leftover quick rail fittings from one of the other Ambo projects. Initiall I was going to support it using cables from the roof but it just got too convoluted and I would of had to remove the ceiling to install the support rail. So this is a quick compromise.

7f0a66e12bb41e7c4b2f9879f2a488bf.jpg

And just to make sure it is safe for the little one I stress tested it.

436e6d90b140fe814a9fdf4e4ca321b7.jpg

These are the fitting I used if anyone is chasing them.

c2ab42eafc5d6a9327c0c4694f6daf3e.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier