Teardrop Trailer Build

luk4mud

Explorer
Thanks guys. I will take a look at that link dawg. I guess I was thinking that power from the tow vehicle (and brakes) are gained through the 7 pin connector, but that is not the case?

gabepari

Explorer
Thanks guys. I will take a look at that link dawg. I guess I was thinking that power from the tow vehicle (and brakes) are gained through the 7 pin connector, but that is not the case?

You are correct. Some people like to over think things. You should ask the people who are building your trailer, they should know...

luk4mud

Explorer
You are correct. Some people like to over think things. You should ask the people who are building your trailer, they should know...

Gabe, I like to know how things work myself, and I am wiring the tow vehicle so its natural that I would want to understand how it ties into the trailer at this early stage. This is a great community of folks who like to share information and I like to tap into that and contribute where I can.

You have a wealth of knowledge. Feel free to contribute to this thread, all I ask is that you refrain from making silly digs at others in the process.

CYi5

Explorer

I have the same question for my teardrop build, as I noticed the 7 pin connect allocates one pin for 12V.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
What I have done with my trailer, is run a separate 6 ga. line for power. It uses Harbor Freight jumper cables (16 feet for $18) and Anderson Connectors. I haven't wired up the Jeep side yet, but it will follow the "50$ Isolated Battery Charging" Set-up. Here's a pic of the trailer plugs:
a3ehe5e3.jpg

Dawgboy

Adventurer
I would agree that running a bigger line than the 7 pin connector would be smart, and a bigger ground. NEVER trust thru the ball grounding...

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I can recharge my two house batteries off the Power Wagon faster than off the main charger and shore power.
Big wires, good amperage, and the blessedly low resistance of Optima batteries.

I like that 6 ga. idea.

luk4mud

Explorer
I think I will install the 7 pin system, take the trailer on a couple of trips and monitor what kind of charge I am getting off that approach. I am guessing it wont be much and that I will be putting in the big gauge line.

luk4mud

Explorer
OK, we have a frame, courtesy of the Adventure Trailers concierge delivery service! Mario graciously offered to tow the frame over to Pasadena from Prescott so it is now in Matt's driveway ... taking up most of his driveway. This thing is big!

The AT frame is really a high tech thing of beauty. Proud papa that I am, here are the first pictures.

photo 2.JPGphoto 1.JPG

luk4mud

Explorer
Making progress. Trying to decide if this is an ultra large teardrop or a small travel trailer. The galley has turned out to be a bit of a challenge so the design phase is ongoing.

trailer2.jpegtrailer1.jpeg

Attachments

• trailer3.jpeg
    trailer3.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 160

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
In this group, we tend to overdo everything. The 7 pin is all you need to charge your batteries, run the trailer. Every trailer on the market, other than this industry uses the standard 7 pin connection. NO need for heavier wiring. Doubtful you could get enough draw to warrant them. I would install at least two batteries in the trailer, with a fuse in line from the tow vehicle battery. Having a converter from 110 to 12 volt helps, but normally not necessary either. A small Honda or Yamaha 2000 will charge your batteries or even run the whole thing off the 12 volt connection.

My guess is it will look a little smaller when you actually start putting it together. frame normally look like air craft carriers until the uprights go on.

Have fun, never hesitate to ask questions. Many on here have great ideas and have built off road trailers. Dig in and have a ball.

silvrzuki77

explorer
I agree with skersfan on both accounts. I have zero issues charging my batter with the 7 pin setup. It will for sure start to seem smaller and smaller once everything starts going together!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I wouldn't recharge batteries off of the 12v from a Honda/Yamaha genny ---- I've measured their voltage and have seen them run in the high 18v range.
I'd rather see somebody plug a quality battery charger into the 110v outlet on the genny or install a boat charger in the trailer.

luk4mud

Explorer
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am looking to install just one Group 34 AGM battery if I can get away with it. I bought a Honda generator and will look to charge it that way; Bill I will check on the Honda's output but when I checked it, it was ok. I will keep you guys posted on progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne