Lug nut indicator size question

kerry

Expedition Leader
http://shop.torque-tight.com/10-pc-Torque-Tight-Lug-Nut-Indicator-IND33MM-10.htm?productId=1

These came up in the sheared nuts thread. They've come up before. DontPanic has some on his truck called Wheel Checks. He sent me one of his but it was too big for the lug nuts on my 99FG. Anyone have experience to know the size which will fit my FG. I use a 1 1/2" socket for the lugs but it is slightly on the sloppy side so I'm thinking these indicators will be slightly too large in the 1 1/2" size.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
The correct size (at least for my 2007) is 41mm. When I ordered from torque-tight they actually contacted me to confirm size before they shipped.

Also, I ended up cutting very small slivers of 1-1/2" PVC to put behind the indicators to stop them from slipping down onto the shoulder of the lug nut (as a stand-off between the wheel and the indicator).

kerry

Expedition Leader
6 lug FG's have different sized lug nuts than 5 lug I think. I have 5 lug. I as wondering about whether they would slide off at the bottom. Would a little daub of silicone or something on the inside the torque tight keep it up high enough?

pugslyyy

I'm sure that there are other ways to do it. Using my chopsaw to make little PVC spacers from some spare pipe I had laying around was the right solution for me but what you decide may depend on what you see when you look around your shop! :)

(This is the sole reason that my car's suspension spacers are old Discovery 2 rotoflexes)

kerry

Expedition Leader
Would gluing two together and using two on each lug nut work? They're not that expensive.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The standard size nut is, as stated, 41mm.
Remember... you are always going to have a less than perfect fit if you use an imperial socket on a metric nut, which these are.

The hole in the indicators is slightly smaller than 41mm, making it a nice "snug" fit. If there was a common problem of these falling off all of the time then I doubt that they would be as widespread as they are throughout the trucking industry.
As you said... they are not expensive, so buy a few extra and keep them as spares, should some get lost.

The biggest issue that I see with the indicators is if you do a lot of work in deep mud. Personally, I do not have experience in that area, but I could see them getting pulled/pushed off by the mud when the tyre loses traction and spins a lot more.
I use these indicators myself (here in Oz the most common brand is Checkpoint) and believe that having them fit flush against the rim is the best solution, as it is more difficult to get crap in behind them that way. Mine seem pretty secure without making any additional modifications.

EDIT...
I should add, after looking at the indicators in your link Kerry, that mine are a little different to those.
The Checkpoint indicators have a flanged section, giving more contact between the indicator and the nut. I would assume that this additional surface area would assist in keeping them in place.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

My issue may be specific to my SRW conversion and now using front-style nuts on the rear hubs. (I only need it on the rear)

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
My issue may be specific to my SRW conversion and now using front-style nuts on the rear hubs. (I only need it on the rear)
I should probably mention that I have the same single wheel setup as you; the ATW 19.5" rims and Toyo M608 tyres.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I don't see how the standard lug nut is 41mm when 1 1/2" socket fits on them. That comes out to about 38mm. I know someone else on this forum stated he had two different sized lug nuts on an earlier and later FG.

pugslyyy

Hmm, then I don't understand it unless my indicators are thinner. I definitely can't push them flat up against the wheel without them slipping off the nut.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I don't see how the standard lug nut is 41mm when 1 1/2" socket fits on them. That comes out to about 38mm. I know someone else on this forum stated he had two different sized lug nuts on an earlier and later FG.
Maybe it is different over your way Kerry, but the trucks I have looked at here, both Fuso and Isuzu, use 41mm nuts. Either way, these companies make indicators for pretty much all size nuts, so you should not have an issue finding ones that fit the nuts you have on your truck.

I definitely can't push them flat up against the wheel without them slipping off the nut.
I just went and had a look at mine and I can see what you are saying. Maybe my indicators being flanged is the reason I do not have an issue with that. Mine just fit... :)

gait

Explorer
the measurement used by the suppliers of wheel nut indicators is usually across the flats.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo

5-lug and 6-lug have different size nuts. When I did my SRW conversion I ordered the 5 lug nuts by mistake and they do not fit on my 6-lug truck.
Both the thread size and the 'socket' size are different. The 6-lug are 41mm.

Raker

Observer
Hi Kerry, mine is a 2002 with 5 stud and 38mm wheel brace OEM. The verniers measure 36mm across the flats. Hope this helps. Steve

FusoFG

Adventurer

My 93 FG is 1 1/2 and my 2004 is 41mm. The 1 1/2 is a standard US Budd socket for most US tractor trailers. Torque-Tight should make that size as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior