AWD Newcomer seeking input...

Desert8rat

Hello All,

I recently started an AWD camper build.

The time has arrived to engage the community.

I am seeking input from those who have experience, and those who are knowing and interested in this sort of thing.

Here is the progress thus far to bring you all up to speed:

-Acquired 2008 Express cargo
-Full transmission and transfer case service
-New AGM marine battery
-New seats (old seats worn)
-New windshield (pits and scratches in old one)
-New rear bumper (old one dented)
-Front Suspension Maxx lift keys
-Rear Roadmaster kit
-Nix sealed beams and installed composites w/ new grille
-Acquired 24" fiberglass top (white gel-coat finish)

I arrived home from L.A. last week with a Fiberine top carefully ratchet strapped. I have opted to install the top myself as I am very particular about such a modification. On the way home, after picking up the high-top, we diverted to Mojave National Preserve for camp out and exploration. I am very impressed with the handling of my rig on the roadways considering the suspension alterations and the top in place.

I have a few questions at this point and welcome any input, especially from those with practical experience.

-Would you paint the fiberglass top now to mitigate yellowing and maintenance?
-Would you texture the fiberglass top with a bed-liner product to hide a rippled appearance in the exterior gel-coat?
-Does anyone have any other suggestions at this point in this project?

Here is photo:

IMG_20131027_175959_170.jpg

Uh its the one on the left...

digitaldelay

Explorer
Nice!

You should probably paint that top sooner than later. If left untreated, it will develop a dull, pitted finish. I wouldn't worry about any ripples. White paint on fiberglass will always look a little different than factory white paint on sheet metal anyway.

Jason

Accrete

Explorer
Our van build has the same fiberine top and after 3 years is beginning to show some yellowing on the top edges. I believe we will have a pro-shop apply a color match ceramic coating to help reduce heat transfer.

Best wishes on your build. The 1500 awd is a great rig for daily driving and the big adventure!
Thom

Desert8rat

Thank you for your responses,

I have decided to have the top painted before I install.

I hope coating now will be a good solution regarding maintenance of the gel-coat.

I will give very careful consideration to the suggestion of having the coating match the RV on the right :)

Thanks again...

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I would not paint it. My 2002 top still looks great. Gel coat takes the place of paint but is stronger. Small scratches don't show and since it's on the roof it takes a beating from branches. It's also not as slick as paint to walk on. You will understand that if and when you climb up to load it or work on the roof. A fall from that high onto concrete can kill you. The last reason would be that fiberglass is usually not as smooth and even as metal. As soon as you put a shinny paint on it you will see every imperfection, wave and dimple in it. Add a few pinstripes from branches and that painted top will look way worse than a slightly faded gel coat. Last pitch would be to go to any boat yard and look at glass boats that have been painted. They look OK when fresh but an old painted glass boat looks like ***.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior