1991 dometic rm2301 smells like propane.

bikeymikey

Hi all,

We're about a week away from taking our trip down to Central America and on our last shakedown camping trip our fridge started smelling like propane. It cools fine in all three modes. I checked all the visible gas connections behind the unit and found only one loose one, which I tightened, but that didn't help. I also cleaned the electrode.

I'm hoping someone can give me some pointers before I start tearing things apart.

Thanks, Mike.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
dish washing suds and a sponge for finding gas leaks cover each joint carefully and watch for bubbles- take your time, gas leaks can be small but still smell
also check your bottle- the small brass screw on the side and the regulator its self

I had a similar issue recently with my trailer and found it was a leak from a regulator in the circuit, it has a "leak "hole for when the diaphram fails

bikeymikey

I'm wondering if there are any other possible places a propane leak can occur before I check the connections that are more difficult to access. I'm sure it's coming from the rear of the unit.

bikeymikey

Ok. I checked all the connections, I have the original manual so I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any. No leak coming from the connections. Looking at the burner and the jet however, it seems like they are not lined up right. Looking in the direction the gas goes, the opening to the burner tube is lower and to the left of the jet. So i started to wonder if some gas is leaking by the burner tube because of the mis-alignment. So I made a little tunnel out of tin foil to direct the gas to the burner. Still smelling like propane. I'm kind of at a loss. I'm going to go pick up some compressed air to clean out the burner tube. Maybe there are specks stuck in there, causing some constriction...
Speaking of cleanliness, the trouble shooting section of my manual mentions the possibility of "odor from fumes" being present due to a dirty flue tube and/or baffle. Could they be referring to propane fumes?

I will post some pictures in the next few minutes.

Any ideas? Thanks.

bikeymikey

image.jpg
This picture shows the miss-alignment of the burner jet and the burner tube.

image.jpg
This one shows my little tinfoil tunnel.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
OK, a couple questions and then some general information and precautions.

Is the propane smell the raw propane, nasty stink, or the burnt propane smell, kinda toasty smell?

This may be overkill for your installation but here is what I do when I have a propane appliance. First off get a regulator with a gauge, then when you turn off the appliance and the propane tank you can see if any propane is leaking by looking at the gauge, a leak down test.

Solid copper pipe is the recommended, some folks use a special bulkhead fitting when going through a wall, I will use a rubber grommet if it is passing through metal. Then a shut off valve is a very good idea just before any appliance. Last I use a flex section between the shut off and the appliance because I find I'm always moving stoves or fridges. This flex hose should be date stamped and changed every three to five years. Two reasons, the propane will penetrate and the hose will start to stink and it can lose its strength.

Once you have done all this it is pretty easy to do a quick leak down test. Pressurize the system with all valves open but appliances off. It should hold pressure well. I find that the thermocouple valves in the appliances leak a little. Then do the same test but have the shut off valves closed. You should have zero leakage over a couple hour period. If you have any leakage then do the squirt bottle soapy water test. Squirt some soapy water over the pressurized joints and look for bubbles forming.

Now you should be free of the raw propane smell. If you smell burnt propane, then check the flue. It should be vented outside but if your fridge is a portable, then you should have adequate ventilation. If you burn propane in a closed space and it uses up the oxygen it will not burn clean and produce carbon monoxide from incomplete combustion. This is serious, alway have a window open, even when it is cold outside. Almost lost a friend on a boat because of this, and he was a very experienced off shore sailor.

I know, too much information, yes propane freaks me out.

Rich

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I have two Carbon monoxide sensors and 2 propane sensors on my trailer.....and in the last 2 years have had both come on

Once for the propane, regulator leak and once for the generator fumes, being circulated under the trailer

bikeymikey

Wow, lemsteraak, that's some good knowledge! I didn't think to check to see if it was raw or burnt propane I was smelling so I went and tuned on my stovetop, and boy that stank. Nothing like what I was smelling coming out of the reefer. So I turned to my flue and baffle. The baffle was pretty carboned up cleaned that up (with carburetor cleaner, that's all I had on hand) and ran a lint free rag soaked with cleaner down the flue. It came out black. Did that until the rag was clean. Fired the refer up, and lo! No more smell! This is great!
Thank you all so much for your time. A carbon monoxide detector is on the shopping list for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles