The search begins.....

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Im doing a conversion of truck mirrors to van door. They are very different and require extensive customization. Newer van mirrors fit older van doors with some modifications from what I understand. The new mirrors have a extra stud vs the older ones. The styles (what they look like) have been the same for many years.

bdog1

Adventurer
That list.. IdaSHO Looks like my Christmas list to Santa! Lol. And if the elves could throw in the labor too!

Congrats on the van! It will make a
5erezaju.jpg
great project. Wife will warm up with creature comforts. Mine did!

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

89s rule

Adventurer
My diesel mechanic friend was able to come over this evening and take a look at the van. Got a good list of items to do/buy/order. Good news is he does not think I need injectors which was a relief.

Hope to drive it to work tomorrow.

PS - If you drive a diesel van without the dog house is almost deafening.

Anyone know if the Diamond Eye Exhaust and down pipe will fit a '95 7.3? Everything I see posted says '99-'03?

Last edited:

bdog1

Adventurer
I don't follow it close, since mine is N/A, but somewhere I remember the 6.0 down pipe being an upgrade/mod for the 7.3 I guess the stock one is restricted pretty bad. Might have been on oilburners.net tech files section. Lots of info there.

bdog1

Adventurer
Went back and found it. Can't get it to link here. It's a cut and weld deal so not so straight forward I guess. It's way down the tech files in the IDI section.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I'm interested to see how you outfit the interior. I'm trying to decided between a truck or van, but, contemplating something similar. Have fun!

89s rule

Adventurer
Went back and found it. Can't get it to link here. It's a cut and weld deal so not so straight forward I guess. It's way down the tech files in the IDI section.

Found it: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...-use-a-PSD-Downpipe-on-your-IDI-factory-turbo
I don't think that is my concern with fitment as mine is a PSD. Van wise I wondered if there was an issue with fitment of the larger DP and exhaust on a '95 vs say a '99-'03. I know the doghouse is different not sure if the space is there or not. I dont mind modifications, however when possible I would like to know before I have everything in pieces at the house as I do not have a welder there.

I'm interested to see how you outfit the interior. I'm trying to decided between a truck or van, but, contemplating something similar. Have fun!

Thanks, I plan to. It's helpful to know that some think this is a cool project. I drove it to work this am and all the ladies at work are not impressed.
Researching sound deadening after the drive with no doghouse last night. Debating on trying to make it to a pull a part after work tomorrow.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Thanks, I plan to. It's helpful to know that some think this is a cool project. I drove it to work this am and all the ladies at work are not impressed.

I guess I could understand that. I'm sure it will be completely transformed when you are done.

I'm probably going to have at least three kids, which is why I'm leaning toward a van now instead of a truck and watching your build. I also want the reserve seating capacity of the van so we share that mindset. I have 2 dogs as well.

89s rule

Adventurer
Got home early yesterday and took out the cargo barrier. I also took advantage of some Advance Auto Coupon codes last night. Valve cover gaskets and harnesses as well as oil and fuel filter are now purchased.
I called a somewhat local place that sells blem (blemished) Exide batteries for $55 each. I need two and the thoughts of ~$150 x2 for batteries isn't where I want to spend that much now. In talking with them, the pass side calls for a group 50 and driver is a group 65. Group 65 is no problem he keeps those in stock, however the group 50 is not something he usually carries and he had to call his supplier and will call me back on Monday. This got me doing some research and I found where some of the 6.0 vans have frame mounted batteries in factory boxes. ( I think these are group 65?) If I decided to move the pass side battery to the frame rail what all would I need to do? I plan to add an extra battery for accessories in the future (Fridge, TV, etc) and have seen a few threads on forums about adding the aux batteries, but not one about relocating the starting battery.

bdog1

Adventurer
Yea. Do some research. I squeezed two 31C's into my van. Cheaper and higher amps. $99 ea sams club. I was prepared to do some trimming on the pass side but it went in just substituting a flat bat. tray. Tight fit. No cutting!

bdog1

Adventurer
Somewhere on flea bay they sell the Motorcraft frame boxes. ($89ish) Some fab. their own. Can add one or multiples. I guess the holes are pre- drilled there. I considered this also.

bdog1

Adventurer
Here's my repurposed cage/shelf unit.
ma2a8u3u.jpg

Probably won't help your case " with the ladies at work" though! LOL

89s rule

Adventurer
Went to a pullapart JY on the way to family for Thanksgiving. Got a blower motor, resistor, and Explorer auto dim rear view.
I also spotted some conversion van seats, going to debate on them.
Will windows like this work on my van?
http://bit.ly/17Xs3qO
They say RV but hope that they will work since they are small? I like the all glass style. Thinking passenger side behind the bar doors? One similar to Sportsmobile on driver behind front door. Every link I see posted for windows is 92+ Ford Van specific but they are too large and look like the conversion van style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94