The search begins.....

89s rule

Adventurer
Got a little done the last few weeks. Biggest issue is I now have a massive fuel leak somewhere in the valley.

It was pouring all down the road as I pulled back in the driveway. :(
Hoping to find where it is and fix it this week. When it wasn't leaking it seemed to have great power. I also was able to get the pass up pipe to stop leaking.

I ordered some 400a eraser wheels off eBay to remove the vinyl graphics this past week and the came in on Thursday. I ordered on with the mount to use it in the drill and another 2 for refill. The one with the mount ended up being a made in China piece of junk. Gummed up and left gunk on the paint. The other two were made in USA and worked awesome! Just wish I would have known I was even ordering a china one because I could have finished the entire van with 3. So debating on ordering a third or just waiting. Probably need to go ahead and order another.

Before:

After:

Also shows a good side shot of the window I installed.

Before:

After:

bdog1

Adventurer
My eraser wheel worked well but did leave a residue also, I just stopped frequently and wiped it with ackersol. Alcohol would prob work also. So perhaps you can still get some use out of it. I removed the cymbal first with a 3m product from AZ, then the wheel for the glue.

Vans looking good!

Is your fuel leak in the filter area? Or the return lines?

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

packmule

Observer
Looking good! Keep plugging away at the PSD... you'll get there. How do you access your roof and Yakima rack? From the bumper? I've got some Yakima gear I want to use on my van, but I haven't figured out roof access yet. I've seen some universal folding ladders, but nothing really stands out.

89s rule

Adventurer
My eraser wheel worked well but did leave a residue also, I just stopped frequently and wiped it with ackersol. Alcohol would prob work also. So perhaps you can still get some use out of it. I removed the cymbal first with a 3m product from AZ, then the wheel for the glue.

Vans looking good!

Is your fuel leak in the filter area? Or the return lines?
I did use alcohol to clean it up some, I think some bug and tar remover or the like might get it off some more, a few places the paint came up with the stripe. Mainly on the rear doors where I used the china wheel.

I think the leak is near the fuel bowl, I just rebuilt the area. Several locals have asked about the drain valve itself being cracked. I hope my buddy who is a diesel mechanic can come over and help me take a look, its leaking so bad I would like for him to be around to help me locate it.
Looking good! Keep plugging away at the PSD... you'll get there. How do you access your roof and Yakima rack? From the bumper? I've got some Yakima gear I want to use on my van, but I haven't figured out roof access yet. I've seen some universal folding ladders, but nothing really stands out

Thanks for the encouragement on the PSD, I have started to wonder if I should have gone with a 5.4 or V10 so I could have been driving and spending time on interior buildout than chasing mechanical issues. It will all work out for sure, just might take awhile longer than I originally expected. Especially since we have been shuffling cars some since I sold my T100 and bought the van. Currently getting a trans put in the Sport Trac my parents passed along to us a month back. After it is done strongly debating selling it to get a high MPG commuter. Thinking VW MK4 TDI w/ manual trans.

Last edited:

bdog1

Adventurer
On my 94 this replaces the whole mess!

u3y2ery7.jpg

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

FEDUPWBS

Observer
I did use alcohol to clean it up some, I think some bug and tar remover or the like might get it off some more, a few places the paint came up with the stripe. Mainly on the rear doors where I used the china wheel.

I think the leak is near the fuel bowl, I just rebuilt the area. Several locals have asked about the drain valve itself being cracked. I hope my buddy who is a diesel mechanic can come over and help me take a look, its leaking so bad I would like for him to be around to help me locate it.

Thanks for the encouragement on the PSD, I have started to wonder if I should have gone with a 5.4 or V10 so I could have been driving and spending time on interior buildout than chasing mechanical issues. It will all work out for sure, just might take awhile longer than I originally expected. Especially since we have been shuffling cars some since I sold my T100 and bought the van. Currently getting a trans put in the Sport Trac my parents passed along to us a month back. After it is done strongly debating selling it to get a high MPG commuter. Thinking VW MK4 TDI w/ manual trans.

The diesel is worth the hassle.

philos

Explorer
just read your whole thread, looks rad. I got some windows from the same place you got yours I think. Hope you get your leak sorted, I'm loving mine with the 7.3.

89s rule

Adventurer
just read your whole thread, looks rad. I got some windows from the same place you got yours I think. Hope you get your leak sorted, I'm loving mine with the 7.3.

Thanks. I remember you from MUD. I used to have an '89 FJ62 back in the day.
Leak is still not sorted between work, family, and church I've been busy throw in weather and I haven't messed with much.
I was able to run to LKQ today as I needed a part to finish the trans swap in the Sport Trac. It was also 1/2 price weekend. Wish I had more timed as usual but I was still able to get a console for the doghouse out of a conversion van. It was made out of fiberglass and wood. It needs a little work but it will be a large improvement over 1 cup holder. Also pulled the wood dash off of the same van as well as a few more wood trim items. I think I'm going to get some black wood stain and redo the finish should turn out unique.
got the top wood trim and the piece around the door latch.

F2921611-145C-4463-BE96-87C36D9EDA17_zpsq64kcxc6.jpg
[/URL]
Test fit:

Finally got a Tahoe mirror with compass and temp as well as the sensor and part of the harness. Been looking for one of these for awhile. Simple wiring and a neat feature, especially for $10.

Last edited:

philos

Explorer
I remember your 62. I bet that console will clean up nice, wonder if it could be modded to hold electronics...CB, etc. Maybe some weatherpak connectors so you can still remove it? Wrinkle finish over the wood could be nice too...

Tell me more about the Tahoe mirror.

BTW, I sold my Tundra and split the cash for loans and my van too.

89s rule

Adventurer
Good idea on the electronics. I'm all about debt free as well. Thankfully we are close to being down to just our house debt.

I posted about the Tahoe mirror back on page 7 just after Christmas. I got lucky and finally found one with a sensor I was having a hard time finding the mirror and sensor on the same vehicle. If I like it I might add one to every vehicle we have.

Quote from previous post:

I am also going to try and pull the mirror and wiring out of a Tahoe, it has temp and compass and seems to be an easy swap. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/co...o-pics-952705/ I had pulled an explorer mirror with autodim and was going to do the explorer overhead console swap for the temp and compass, but I think I would rather go with the Tahoe unit and save the overhead space for a shelf or possibly switches, etc.

philos

Explorer
have you decided on a way to fill the gap between the new window you installed and the inner panel/metal? I've been looking at mine before I start cutting and I'm feeling a bit lost as to what to do with the inside sheet metal...particularly near the bottom portion of the window.

89s rule

Adventurer
have you decided on a way to fill the gap between the new window you installed and the inner panel/metal? I've been looking at mine before I start cutting and I'm feeling a bit lost as to what to do with the inside sheet metal...particularly near the bottom portion of the window.

I was planning on making a wooden frame and upholster it. Second option is a wood frame that gets stained to match the other wood in the van (black/grey)

89s rule

Adventurer
Narrowed down where the leak is coming from...just in front of the fuel bowl, really tough to see down in the area on a van. After I get that sorted I hope I can start driving it more and work on some cosmetics, interior build, etc.
I got our Sport Trac back last week, shifting is hard especially downshift to 2nd. Upon research there are several transmissions used for '01. Somehow I got the wrong one, having to pull it back out and take it as well as the original to the JY so they can match up one they have. I'm glad they are making it right, disappointed its taking this much to get it going correctly again. Especially since I need it to be fixed so I can put it up for sale. If you know anyone interested let me know. I am going to wait for it to be fixed right before posting it publicly. Probably $3500 range. Essentially one owner., parents bought it with <2K miles in 2001.
The push for wanting to get it sold are a couple different reasons, the main one is that I have been looking for a DD to replace it that will get good MPG so we can hopefully save a little on fuel each month. I'm headed up near Charlottesville, VA in the next week to pick up a new DD. Excited about it, needs a little work, but has a stack of receipts since new and its a one owner car.
I'll start a thread eventually on it, probably on tdiclub.

Money shot:

It's been since ~'99 or so since I've flown, looking like thats my best option price wise. If I can coordinate flying out of Charlotte I can get to Charlottesville for ~$100 one way. It was going to be ~ $200 in gas round trip in the 4runner. So hopefully the adventure will be a good one. Its about the story most of the time anyway, right?
Any good places to eat in Charlottesville, Lynchburg, or Roanoke? Depending on final route details all those are options.

89s rule

Adventurer
Made it home with the Jetta on Monday. That was a long 17.5 hr day. Will post a few details here soon as well as a thread link for anyone interested.
As my wife says…no spending $ on the Jetta until the Sport Trac is sold and you need to get the van running and interior built enough for the family to ride in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online