37 on stock quigley

flightcancled

Explorer
I've been wondering the same thing. The roof fans aren't really designed to move air through a duct. I'm not sure if the added resistance will make it ineffective. Maybe a high power (efficient?) computer fan type thing would do the trick? I haven't even really invested any time in this with winter coming.

I wish it was as simple as swapping the motor in the unit. I'm pretty sure most of the noise I am hearing is vibrations against the wall. Perhaps a brushless motor and some TLC would do the trick.

The fact that they are jammed up in a corner isn't very helpful either. I do have a slider window in the passenger side box door which gives some cross breeze though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Mine has that crappy fan up in the corner as well. Noisy and it doesn't move all that much air, so it's being ditched. The roof fan I have is a Maxxair Maxxfan and it's worlds better. It's fairly quiet on high and very quiet at anything under high, and moves a bunch more air. All you have to do is open a window someplace with the fan running and you can tell right away. My one complaint is there is no setting that allows the fan to turn itself on as soon as power is applied. You have to physically turn it on. The other thing I'd do different is use the version that can operate via a remote control.

Downside is they aren't cheap. If I recall the remote version is about $300+/-. But they do have their own built in rain shield so you don't have to worry about closing them if it rains.
If I recall they're 4 amps on high and something like .2 amps on low.

cjken

Explorer
Thanks for the fan info. I may try to shove one up in the corner after removing the factory fan. May not be the ideal location but I am trying to avoid pulling down my ceiling if possible.
May have to at some point for roof racks. Unless I can somehow tap the aluminum cross bars from above.
Racks will not be till next spring anyway.

flightcancled

Explorer
I tried to avoid messing with the ceiling. Unless you can do all your mounting above the ceiling lights or in places you can reach through the exterior light openings you're gonna have I bite the bullet. Might as well plan out everything you could possibly want to accomplish and do it all at once. I ran heavy gauge wires to a bunch of places just in case I changed my mind about where I wanted my fridge for example.

I wonder if you could vent the fan into a vented compartment instead of to the outside. The backboard or air tank compartment for example.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
My factory van is just a little inline with flexi tube inlet and outlet. The space it occupies is actually fairly large considering how small it is. Fairly big waste of space.

Here's an idea though. What if you cut an opening where the inside vent is and mounted an rv type ceiling fan there (assuming that space is big enough, but the concept is the thing). I'm guessing there is a removable wall in one of your cabinets that lets you access where the actual fan is. Remove it and all the flexi-tube. Use some duct work tape (that silver stuff) to seal up all the corners of that space to make it as air tight as you can. The only thing left is the vent to the outside. Odds are it won't be big enough to allow enough unrestricted airflow, but it should be a fairly simple matter to put in a larger vent. That should get you some pretty good airflow without having to get into your roof structure at all.

Huh? Huh? I'm gonna go ahead and call that a stroke of genius until somebody goes ahead and shoots it down. :)

flightcancled

Explorer
Haha yeah that's basically what we were getting at, but eliminating the duct? I don't know.

In theory, yes it could help with air restrictions, however it could open a whole can of worms.... Well mold really... Unless you seal it up somehow those spaces are open to the rest of the areas behind the ceiling and walls which are full of things that will mildew and corrode.

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Doh! I didn't look close enough. On the moisture issue. I would think ceiling up all the joints/seams in the space would keep things contained. Or maybe the best/better bet would be finding a bigger, higher quality inline DC fan to replace the crap-tastic fan the builders use. Ducting would probably be easier.

flightcancled

Explorer
Ken I've been looking at fans. Looks like computer fans are 10x less powerful on average when you look at displacement than FantasticFan products.

cjken

Explorer
Thanks Alex
I'll probably be waiting till spring to work on my fan solution. Also plan to do a front bumper and some roof racks.

flightcancled

Explorer
Agreed. At this point the seasonal procrastination paradigm has switched back to figuring out heat.

I'm hoping to complete a tail bob over the winter, and maybe work on a rear bumper.

java

Expedition Leader
Feedback on the H1 rims/tires? Id love to get more sidewall on my RV, since it rides like a turd! I have the v10 and dualies, was yours flat seat lugs? Any squishiness to the steering feedback? My truck is a bit heavier at almost 12k lbs.

cjken

Explorer
They are working well for me. Everything is some sort of compromise.
I would hesitate to single out the rear in your rig. I have a narrow box and am probably not as heavy.
Maybe look at the set up hobietony has in his ambo. Or even the dual setups that ujoint has done on s few recent ambulances.

It had flat lugs. No real squishyness. My steering box is s bit worn so I may not be getting a true feel, but it is very drivable.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
They are working well for me. Everything is some sort of compromise.
I would hesitate to single out the rear in your rig. I have a narrow box and am probably not as heavy.
Maybe look at the set up hobietony gas in his ambo. Or even the dual setups that ujoint has done on s few recent ambulances.

This is true, I forgot yours was so much skinnier, they would be tucked back in a ways. With the E rated Goodyears, it should handle the weight.

Crash_AF

Nice looking Quigley. Can't wait to see what you do with the inside of the box.

If you're still looking for Whelen lightbar parts, Ranger Services has most of what you need to get them working, or just clear lenses.

http://www.ranger-services.com

No affiliation, just bought from him a couple of times for some amber bars I have.

Most of the Edge bars use the same parts, just some are nicer than others. LED floods from an Edge Freedom should be a drop in for your older Edge frame.

fastring

tried 37s with stock h1 rims on my 96 quigley and in the front the backspacing didnt work. Rim rubbed on tie rods and tire rubbed in control arms with very little turning radius. bumbed as i had bought 5 new tires/rims...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior