Death Valley Trip 27-29 SEP 13

MojaveMike

Man of the Mojave
So, the timing didn't work out to do the Mojave Road this year with my friends on t120. However, I was able to get away for part of the weekend to head the short drive up to Death Valley with my family and a friend and his kids. It is always great to get out and show the little ones the natural beauty out in the world. There is enough bad out there, it is nice to get out and share life with your family. My old Marine buddy and I seem to always have awesome trips and this one would prove to be no different.

The plan was to meet up in Baker at the Mad Greek (which is awesome) for dinner and take 127 up to a spot they call 3000 ft overlook on BLM land off of 190. We set up camp there for a windy night. We awoke to our pop up tent (which we let the kids play in) which only had 4 (10lbs) rocks inside it blown 100 yards away! The view in the morning was spectacular. We cooked some delicious omelettes and burritos and got on our way. We first headed back to the Amargosa Opera house to tour the legendary grounds. The staff was very friendly and the tour was well worth it. I love learning the history of these awesome places. We then headed on into Furnace Creek. The wind was ferocious! the whole valley after Furnace Creek was a whiteout with dust. We cautiously headed up to Scotty's Castle for a walk of the grounds. We let the kids run around in the park outside. We then headed over to the Ubehebe crater which is pretty cool if you have never been. Then we made the long drive down the race track. We checked out the Racetrack snapped some pics and were on our way to our campsite. We woke up in the morning and took the challenge of Lippincott road which was in rough shape after the storms this summer. We made it down to Saline Valley fine, but Lippincott has 3-4 more bad washouts ao as always use caution. We took the long drice down Saline Valley road to 190 for our final stop for dinner in Lone POine at the Mt. Whitney Restaurant. We got the kids some ice cream and said good buy until our next trip.

We headed up to Death Valley Junction and hit up the Amargosa Opera House. The Opera house is legendary in the valley. A young lady took over the near abandoned structures over 40 years ago and refurnished them into the beautiful art work that you see today.

Moonrise over the Mojave

0. The weather wasn't too bad it went from 105*F to 56*F in the same 24 hour period

1. Desert Dweller

2. The opera house

3. The stage

4. The theater

Next we headed up to Furnace creek and on to Scotty's Castle. The kids got to get out and play for a little bit. It is amazing to think that one man pulled off this scheme to build the beautiful place far out in the desert. If you have the time read up on Death Valley Scotty.

5. Scotty's Castle

7. climbing a stariway to heaven?

8. Scotty's Ride (Sans lightbars and body lifts)

9.Prickly Pear Cactus

After the Castle we jetted on over to the Ubehebe Crater and down to the Racetrack. The drive down the racetrack road was a blast to hit the desert roads on the dual shocks. I have to say that it was a much more comfortable ride than the last time I was on the road.

13. Our humble camping spot (this may seem familiar to some of you)

We had a great cook out with some ribs that my wife pre made and we had a great nights sleep after the wind finally settled down. This spot is one of my favorite because most of the mining equipment is still intact. The hids had fun snooping around.

15. I have a one track mind...so back to more offroading

So in the morning we tried our hand at Lippincott pass down to Saline Valley. The rangers at Furnace Creek said that we could try it if we want and that they weren't going to head down that wat because it was too washed out. That said it was a little rough in the middle and had washed out a little more narrow in a few more spots.

IMG_1444_zps9e32922d.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGplc5aNoJk (sorry its so shaky)

16. Finally made it to Saline Valley
IMG_1450_zpsdf31d08c.jpg

17. We stopped for lunch on the road in Saline Valley and spotted a pair of angry hornets (F/A-18) going at it
IMG_1463_zpse3443e33.jpg

18. Overlooking Panamint valley
IMG_1461_zps31f391e9.jpg

We got a teakettle for the trip. I drew up the pictures on it and let the kids paint it.

kettle_zps9930c2b2.jpg

IMG_1401a_zps4efe2f17.jpg

Well thanks for stopping by...see you on the trail

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Looks like a great trip, brought back some good memories from our last trip to DV not too long ago. Thanks for sharing!

profdlp

Adventurer
Nice trip, and good for you for taking the whole family. Kids never forget something like that, which is a very good thing. :)

mph

Expedition Leader
Damn...that's a nice tea kettle you created!

Looks like you had a great time!

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Is that just one tea kettle at Tea Kettle Junction? That's unusual. I wonder if the rangers came and cleaned the sign off.

MojaveMike

Man of the Mojave
Is that just one tea kettle at Tea Kettle Junction? That's unusual. I wonder if the rangers came and cleaned the sign off.
Yeah, that is what I was thinking it was either the rangers or someone stole them. We were going to leave our magnificent art work of a tea kettle there, but I didn't want to leave something to just be taken by someone else. We started our own tradition, the Kettle accompanies us on all our trips to DV and the Mojave Road.

EMrider

Explorer
Yeah, that is what I was thinking it was either the rangers or someone stole them. We were going to leave our magnificent art work of a tea kettle there, but I didn't want to leave something to just be taken by someone else. We started our own tradition, the Kettle accompanies us on all our trips to DV and the Mojave Road.

Cannot recall details, but I remember reading about a NPS acess plan that included "clean up" of sites like teakettle, crankshaft, etc......

Hope this is not the NPS's plan. If they mess with the bat sign at Saline I will be really ticked off. That is the kid's favorite landmark because it means we have arrived.

Great report, thanks.

R

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior