2004 Silverado 1500 crew build

rallygabe

Observer
hey guys (and gals!)

I am notoriously bad at doing these build threads, but i have made some progress over the last year or so with my sportscar's website prowess, so I am hoping i can continue that here!

If you read back through my blog you see that I have owned a number of different trucks and rigs over the years. Mostly Jeep product just because I like the format and layout. Most recently me and the girlfriend bought a 2009 Grand Cherokee which was an awesome vehicle, but our particular one was plagued with mechanical problems so we ended up selling it. We both rather wanted a pickup, for the utility and towing capabilities, so we set out to find the jeeps replacement. In walks this beast:

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab.
141k miles approx.
Smelled terrible, looked like grandpa's truck, but the price was decent at $10K and it was the best truck for the money after several others didn't happen.
It is pretty well loaded with leather, bose audio, power and heated seats, etc. Pretty much everything but a sunroof.
IMG_0632[1].jpg

So far it has had a flurry of maintenance items done. all front turn signal bulbs and DRL bulbs are replaced. A new thermostat and coolant cap, since I didn't notice that the temp gauge was screwed up (common GM problem apparently!). We also shampooed the carpet and cleaned every removable bezel and panel to reduce the odor. I also pulled off the bug deflector and chrome bed rails as I could not handle that level of old-man look, since I ma not that old yet!!

Items I know that need work:
Driver seat controls don't work well (GM dealer reflash of control module supposedly fixes this)
Steering wheel buttons are mostly burnt out (will probably attempt an LED update myself before buying new replacements)
Driveshaft clunk needs grease
All fluids need replacement/updating
Alternator squeaks
ISS needs to be changed
Shocks need replaced
Trailer brake controller needs to be replaced or rewired

Things me or the better half want:
New tires that are larger/meaty
2m radio install
Scangauge2 in dash
fender flares
small lift
front bumper or grill guard for light mounts
camper shell or bed tent arrangement

So that is the introduction. One whole picture! :D
I will try to update this as progress is made. I post a lot to my blogger so so cross-linking might happen...
I love a lot fo the rigs in this section and will try to reference anybody else when I am clearly taking ideas!
Cheers!
Gabe and Leann:rally_guys:

rallygabe

Observer
More

So in my excitement of writing the initial post I left out a bunch of the fun we've had already!

The dealership we purchased from gave us the story that "the guy of traded it in hit a pheasant on his way in to pick up his new truck" hence the two holes in the grill. Odd; sure, but as the original post says the price seemed worth it.

When the thermostat debacle happened we happened to be on the way to my friend Shawn's house and once we finally got there we decided to dig into the truck a bit the next morning:
Best surprise was the amount of feathers and dander found embedded in the radiator!
IMG_0640.jpg

Luckily my friends Shawn happens to also be a gear head like myself (even if he is a die-hard Ford guy) and he had a perfect little spray wand for spraying water through the radiator, and we shop-vac'ed as many feathers out as we could. The amount of crap that was pushed out of the core is amazing. I couldn't get a good picture of it since I was spraying water all over the place! Once we thought we got as much crud out as was reasonable we made sure there wasn't any coolant flowing out of the radiator and then he did a quick detail of the engine bay before we headed home.
IMG_0641.jpg
His detailing is what the dealer should have done! Now we can see that 5.3L Vortec a bit better! 16mpg ******:smilies27
Always a good time among friends! I told him he better dust off his 01 Ford Lariat Crew cab so that we could head up north for some offroading one of these weeks. Will see how far we get down that road.:coffee:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Nice looking truck, but that dealership dropped the ball on selling it to you.
They should have cleaned it from top to bottom greased it, changed the fluids and then gave it to you.

brandish

I just picked up an 05 Z71, so I am looking forward to your build. Have you decided which lift you are going with?

I have been looking at the Rough Country 1.5-2.5'' lift leveling kit, seems like a decent price but I wasn't sure if it was a good setup.

rallygabe

Observer
Okay, so it has been a forever since updating this thread. I have some time at work today so I think now is the time to update!

Sadly there is not much to update. It has been bitterly cold in MN this winter and in mid January my daily driver took a dump and has been sitting on stands in the garage ever since. This turn of events has brought several items to the forefront:
Tire on this truck are SHOT. I have rarely heard such noisy tires. both fronts are badly feathered, telling me that shocks, sway bar links, and possibly bushings are needed ASAP.
brakes are suspect: clearly the rear brakes have been serviced at some point in the last ocuple of winters but the fronts have not. I managed to bleed the rear calipers and get a
squirt out of the fornt passenger caliper. sadly replacment of front calipers will have to wait for spring and money.
Windshield is junk. midwest winters wreak havoc on windscreens and this truck has not escaped any of that. I need to talk to my insurance company to see if they will cover replacement.
And the list goes on...

So right now my target is to get new shocks on the truck (ordered Monroe sensatrackLTs because even cheap new shocks are better than old worn out crap)

Once I feel the suspension will not eat brand new tires again I need to bite the bullet and get some new meats. Right now I am eyeballing the General AT2s because they are cheap, and because they are made in the US of A...for whatever that is worth. I might call up the boys out at Treadwright once the bank account is full and see if they have any of their Warden or GuardDog models on sale in a LT range.

I have not made up my mind about lift kits yet. I know it will be fun once I am done, but the hit in the pocket book, fuel economy wise, worries me. A big part of this truck is the idea of making long range, cross-country road trips. When I am getting 15mpg, the idea of getting worse milage is a shocker. I could have bought a toyota land cruiser if I wanted poor fuel economy...
SO to more pointely answer the lift question: I am planning to dial up the torsion bars when the new tires go on but to leave the truck otherwise stock until such time as I think the lift is the only thing left.

I also have a driving light LED lightbar for the front that I need to build some mounts for, as well as a bed mount for my traffic controller and 2meter antenna. Small items on the rather lengthly list of to-dos.

No pictures for now since the poor beast is nothing but salt crust right now.

cheers!

DanR7985

Observer
Just a heads up, but I and many other people have been able to put 285/70/17 tires on the NBS without having to crank any bars, or do any leveling kits. On my 2003 it looked like it would rub but it hasn't, and I have hit some fairly hard bumps at full lock as well. If you are wanting the look as well as bigger tires then feel free, but if you just want a little bit bigger tire without going crazy you should be good. I had 16" wheels, but I put 17" wheels from an NNBS on my NBS, and my tire choice is the Cooper Discoverer STT.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I was going to tell you to use Monroe reflex mono tubes. But let us know how the sensitrac works. Monroe's are cheap in price only. They are far better than they are given credit. A homebrew leveling kit using ford torsion keys and a block in the rear is cheap and effective. I have the same setup going on my suburban. Once aligned you will not have any adverse affects. Many many people have this done over on the z71 site. You are not lifting enough to screw up milage. The goal is about 2" lift in front and 1.5" in the rear. Gives a little space between the fenders and 285's and just looks right. You might have to get a set of shock extenders. But they work fine too. I have Monroe reflex on my burb, and my jku and love them. Work amazing to keep comfort and control in check. Much better than the pro comps I used before. Remember, they make rancho shocks, but I think Monroe's are actually a better shock for the stock to mildly lifted rigs.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk

98dango

Expedition Leader
You have a good truck there we have an 03 1500 and 05 Tahoe love them both. I have cranked both to level and set the alignment my self. I have Monroe shocks on all 6 of my trucks and never had any issues. I do need to upgrade the torsion bars in the 1500 with winch and front bumper.

My lift and bigger tires did not really affect millage after speedometer recalibration. I still hold 15-18 and 18-22 on the 1500.

rallygabe

Observer
...I and many other people have been able to put 285/70/17 tires on the NBS without having to crank any bars, or do any leveling kits.

Did you have any tire clearance issues to the inner fender, or rockers? I had noticed the 285/70 size was only slightly more expensive. Not sure I want load range E but for the right price I would take them I suppose... :DJust checked treadwright and they have 285/70r17 in load range D...for $128ea. :safari-rig:

Back when I worked in auto parts Monroe's were the best thing you could get for most domestics. I had originally intended to go Bilstein but the maintenance aspect took priority over quality this time. They also now publish part numbers for Stock fitment, +2" fitment, +4" fitment which is pretty nice. I went with the stockers for $34ea

The only reason I plan to crank the bars up in front is to level the truck cosmetically as it currently sits very low in the front.

On another note, the girlfriend took it to the local stealership to get the oil changed and they gave her a short shopping list of items that need attention. One I had not noticed entirely before was a leaky front axle seal. One thing I do know is that the front drive has been changed in this truck as you can see the junkyard "03 yukon" yellow pen from above. Do any of you guys have experience with digging in to these front differentials or replacing them? I haven't even had time to check the fuild to see whats in it! :'(

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Sounds like it was in an accident to me. Oh, it now looks like I have a buddy in Polaris to help me if need be.��

DanR7985

Observer
Did you have any tire clearance issues to the inner fender, or rockers? I had noticed the 285/70 size was only slightly more expensive. Not sure I want load range E but for the right price I would take them I suppose... :DJust checked treadwright and they have 285/70r17 in load range D...for $128ea. :safari-rig:

I haven't rubbed once hitting bumps at a hard turn at speed both on and offroad. I am thinking about putting on a leveling kit just for a looks perspective though.

kojackJKU

Ok. Could be a oops I screwed up something and they replaced it as well.

Sent from my SGH-T899M using Tapatalk

shopkins

aka Glitch
i wouldn't be concerned about the replaced front axle being an accident related issue. if not properly maintained they like to run the pinion bearing dry, and when it does the pinion slaps around and tears up the case, cheaper to put a used unit in then replace the case half. and there is not much to them internally just the fact that you have to split the case apart (i.e not like the rear that just has a cover over it) to do anything internally. axle seals in the front are also very common, especially the right side. either way they're not hard to replace the seals if you have some general-slightly advanced knowledge of mechanics, however if you are uncomfortable its not that big of a job that paying for someone to do it would be something to be worried about money wise.

-Shaun - Chevrolet Dealer Technician

rallygabe

Observer
i wouldn't be concerned about the replaced front axle being an accident related issue. if not properly maintained they like to run the pinion bearing dry, and when it does the pinion slaps around and tears up the case, cheaper to put a used unit in then replace the case half. and there is not much to them internally just the fact that you have to split the case apart (i.e not like the rear that just has a cover over it) to do anything internally. axle seals in the front are also very common, especially the right side. either way they're not hard to replace the seals if you have some general-slightly advanced knowledge of mechanics, however if you are uncomfortable its not that big of a job that paying for someone to do it would be something to be worried about money wise.

-Shaun - Chevrolet Dealer Technician

thanks for the insight Shaun.
What does it sound like when the bearings go in the front drive? since it is warming up and drying out here in MN this thing sounds like death warmed over, with a distinct left-turning increase.
I have new bearings and upper control arms on the way but it makes some really weird noises if you have the wheel turned just so while driving that make me think this is not a wheel bearing and tire noise alone.

still no tire choice made yet, but definitely need something! Perhaps Uncle Sam will fund a new tire purchase this spring....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior