Do I need a leveling kit to run 285/75/R16s? Hard to find a good kit. Your thoughts?

Sentinelist

Adventurer
I still haven't gotten new photos taken yet, but am struggling with finding a place that carries one of the top name brand leveling kits for my 1993 K3500. I have a 4-Wheel Parts shop right around the corner from me, so I'll probably just have them install it. They don't have anything this old, and won't install anything unless it's a new Daystar, Skyjacker, or a couple other big name kits that they carry otherwise.

Or do I even need it? I'd like another inch or three if feasible, but I can't tell if the front or rear is even really sagging in the first place. I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Goodyear 285/75/R16 DuraTrac Ws that may be fine as it is. What say you?

30851393898.343848929.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.565x318.jpg

I promise I'll start my build thread once I get this sorted out. :)

drifter_r6

Observer
That's a horrible pic, to determine if you need a level kit. The front end is closer to the camera making it seem like its higher than it really is (parallax). Going just by the pic alone it looks pretty level to me. In the background of the pic, there is the building with horizontal siding. Park the truck against the building, use the horizontal lines and eyeball if its level.

Depending on the anticipated weight in the bed, keep in mind you want your rear 1-1.5" higher than the front to account for droop. You don't want to be perfectly level, add 1000lbs in the bed and end up looking like a Baja trophy truck.

Food for thought: many of the big name level kits out there use urethane type spacers, they tend to compress over time. A 2.5" lift becomes a compressed 1.5" lift over time. Look for the kits with the metal spacers.

Last edited:

GreenTaco4x4

Observer
You have torsion bars, that is why you can't find a "leveling kit" for it. You can crank the stock keys a couple of turns, you can switch to new keys on the torsion bars(aftermarket or F-150), and/or you can get new torsion bars from sway-a-way (if they still offer them). Other than that you have to go with a bracket lift or an SAS.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
That is the issue with that era GM. You really have to go big (financially) to get any proper suspension mods. The design does not lend itself to many options.

Sentinelist

Adventurer
Thanks, guys. I should be able to clear the new tires. If I need more, I'll plan to 'go big' later once I get a utility box and FWC.

ckupq

Observer
I don't see why you would need a level kit, just raise the front if you want and put on the tires. I've got the same tires and I've been debating taking off the lift from my 05. Its novel, but it makes my truck look like its dragging tail with a truck cap on it.

cyclic

Adventurer
Mmmmmmm, the truck I wanted. Went another direction, but I've always loved the crew cab oldie.
BEST solution is a straight axle conversion. Period. Go coil spring or coilover, with links. You will be very happy. Use an axle from a newer dodge, the chevy hubs bolt right on keeping everything lined up. There are several examples online if you search. Steering is the hardest part of the conversion, and its not that hard. You can mod the dodge stuff to work or build whats called a T link.

Sentinelist

Adventurer
ckupg- I appreciate the insight. Certainly don't want to be dragging tail. I've decided against the leveling kit for now.

cyclic- thanks, I'm really loving the setup. I'll leave the IFS alone for now, but that's a great idea that I'll keep in mind if I decided to properly lift it later.

CodyY

Explorer
You have torsion bars, that is why you can't find a "leveling kit" for it. You can crank the stock keys a couple of turns, you can switch to new keys on the torsion bars(aftermarket or F-150), and/or you can get new torsion bars from sway-a-way (if they still offer them). Other than that you have to go with a bracket lift or an SAS.

This.
Just crank em up a bit to taste.
I'm local, hollar at me if you wanna bounce some ideas around

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94