MAN 4x4 Truck camper build

SpudBoy

Observer
Well, after our first test trip onto corrugated dirt roads, I took it back to MAN to complain about the noise from bad vibrations from the disk backing plates.

They were not keen for me to remove them, hence why I built some brackets to try and tame to vibrations, as I have heard from others that vibrations cause them to crack/fracture and then basically fall off! All the MAN dealer did was to bend them away from the brake caliper, so they didn't make a noise when vibrating.

If MAN said it was fine to go without any backing plates then I'd probably do that, but they didn't.

Fouristrada Camper - I'd be interested to see photos of your solution. I have not fixed the back plates yet. They seem to be more difficult to engineer than the fronts.

Cheers
David

Last edited:

SpudBoy

Observer
Brake disc shield crack is not just a MAM problem, I have gone through three sets of shields on my Defender, and on the way up to Mitchell Plateau a broken rear shield managed to pull the ABS sensor out, by some miricle not breaking it in the process. If yours do crack, will they cause any damage to the sensor when flapping around?

Yep - if they fall off, I think they will take out the ABS sensor wire and possibly damage the air brakes, so I am very keen to stop that happening!

I don't image it is an issue on your Mog. They seem all-round bullet proof :)

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Probably best to get a fix for it

The brake shields on the mog are more from armour plate I think, but not "standard equipment" on all of them. Mine being a road-rail mog did not have them, but I now have two sets and will fit them. They a pretty well supported and have lots of bolts and bits. These are the type I have ( mine will be a bit cleaner for a while) , there are other ones for "extreme" conditions that enclose the brake discs completely

img-22.jpg

img-1.jpg

P1010368.jpg

A solution that is reported to work on Defender brake shields which crack around the bolt holes if to get some large fender washers, and using Sikaflex glue them on about 3mm thick Sikaflex. The Sikaflex takes up the flex, stopping the metal from cracking around the bolt holes. You need the primer etc for the Sikaflex to work properly. Not sure if this is applicable to where they fail on your truck.

SpudBoy

Observer
As a complete distraction from working on the truck, I thought I'd make myself a volcano kettle (better known as Kelly Kettles or Ghillie Kettles)!

I have a little roller to form up the sheets, so that was an interesting exercise, working out the radius (radii?) of the cuts. Once I worked that all out I cut it up on the plasma cutter.

20150207_085001.jpg

Welding 1mm ali is a trick! If you're not careful , you end up with a gaping hole pretty quickly. With a bit of patience, it started to take shape.

20150207_121649.jpg

I tested it out last night. Works a treat :D

20150324_215522.jpg

Boiling water in about 4 minutes, and it uses almost no fuel to do that!

A lot more details on how it was built here: Building-a-Volcano-Kettle

Am thinking it might be good to paint it in some hi-temp exhaust paint...

SpudBoy

Observer
So, did you just re-use the original 3 bolts, but make the backing plate thicker/stronger around the bolts?

Did you attach the shield in any other places, apart from the OEM 3 bolts?

Any further problems since you reinforced things?

Thanks
David

SpudBoy

Observer
Made some steps last weekend, to make it easier to get in/out of the canopy. The ladder is OK if you're not carrying anything, but steps make it much easier.

I cut out 4 steps on the plasma cutter, putting in perforations to make them non-slip.
20150328_125659.jpg

The steps sit on 2 rails and pivot, which makes them compact for storing away.
20150329_190925.jpg

This is the finished product, with the yellow 'landing pad' pulled out to give side access:
20150329_190729.jpg

This is how they pivot:

Lots more details on how they were built here: Stairs

superbuickguy

Explorer
I like those a lot - what grade aluminum did you use?

dust - I've found shows up when the surrounding environment is dark(er)... I'd take pictures of my projects on the way out of the shop, with the main lights off then wonder why it looked like a snowstorm in the picture...

SpudBoy

Observer
Thanks. They were pretty simple to make once I'd worked out the maths on making them level when open, and fold flat when closed.

I used 3mm aluminium sheet in some sort of structural grade. I can't remember the number, but they use it for making the hulls of boats.

The side rails are also structural Ali, used for fencing. If I made them over again, I'd probably go up a thickness, as 1.4mm is a tiny bit on the thin side perhaps. 1.6mm or 2.0mm might be the go. When a heavy person walks up the steps, the rails flex a little. Me - I am only 74Kg (155 pounds?) so they are fine for my weight.

Flaher Pete

I simply welded 3mm 'straps' over the existing holes, then redrilled the holes. I'll just have to see how long they last!

Attachments

• backing plate.jpg
    backing plate.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 63

SpudBoy

Observer
Thanks for the photo. Looks like the tabs are now twice as thick, so hopefully they'll last twice as long!

I've still got to do my rear plates. That's a job for later this week.

SpudBoy

Observer
This is quite a belated post to say we are on our way. Actually, we are 3 weeks into our 8 week trip and currently sitting in Fitzroy Crossing, in the middle of a desert, near the top of Australia. Not all that many spots with internet connectivity out this way!!

So far we have done just over 4,500Kms (3000 miles) from home. Some days we do a lot of KMs, other days we do none. Today we went for a small boat cruise at a nearby gorge but then we spent the rest of the afternoon by the pool :) Mostly we are free camping as we are fully self contained, but every so often we wimp out and stop at a nice park or lodge for proper (long) showers and 240 volts and pools and things.

Our big unknown was the Tanami Track, which is 1000Kms (600 miles) of desert from Alice Springs to Halls Creek on a narrow rough dirt track. We were a bit worried how the truck would go with all the corrugations and wash-outs, but it did extremely well. Zero dramas. Which has given us a lot more confidence in it.

Here's a report of the drive through the Tanami Desert: Tanami-Track

And a couple of photos - red dust everywhere!:
P5060018.JPG

P5070030.JPG

Fuel usage was really good (for a 10 tonne truck) at 23.2 litres per 100Km (10.2 MPG)

Next stop is up to a place called Cape Leveque for some beach time and some fishing.
FallingTideCapeLeveque(1).jpg

Cheers
David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94